1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Does the '63 AFL title count?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MasterOfPuppets, Jun 20, 2016.

?

Does the '63 AFL title count?

1. Yes

80.0%
  2. No

20.0%
  1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
  2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Of course it counts

Stupid question, moving on

3. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +635
    Evidently not a stupid question since some don't count it (I do of course) but forgive me for asking

4. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Calling it a stupid question was more for affect of how I feel about my answer, but I do apologize since it obviously comes off as directed at you.

5. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +635
    no worries

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Sure it counts, although, it would be more impressive if the NFL Champs weren't so afraid to play the Bolts back then to settle things up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +345
    Yes it counts as about as much as Ichiro's hits while playing in Japan! :roflmao:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    As an AFL championship it matters, as an NFL Championship it means absolutely nothing. How much the AFL counts as a "major" title is debatable: at the time, it was. So can you count it as "a" championship? I guess so, but was the AFL considered equal to the NFL at the time? I don't know. I voted no.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    It was enough of an organization that the NFL feared its influence. In 65 when NBC contracted to televise the AFL games the NFL knew that they could not ignore the AFL and make it go away. Which is why the NFL initiated merger talks.

The NFL adopted a lot of AFL innovations. 14 game season, players names on jerseys, different type of football which was easier to pass, wide open passing game, score clock, 2 point conversions, sharing gate revenues etc... So why would we ignore the championships? The AFL is now part of NFL history.

An argument can be made that prior to the Super Bowl, event he NFL championships are diminished... which would cheese off the Packers fans because they had 11 of those...

10. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    As a whole, the AFL was considered by many to be inferior to the NFL in the years leading up to the merger. That was a big part of the buzz that was created when the Jets won Super Bowl III. It was the first AFL win over the NFL.

However, there were a number of experts who were of the view that the 1963 Chargers were the best team in all football and that they likely would have beaten the Chicago Bears that year. The 1963 Bears were a grind it out defensive football team with a very limited offense (10th in a 14 team NFL league in points scored despite giving up 61 fewer points than any other team and generating 54 turnovers in a 14 game season). The 1963 Chargers led an 8 team AFL in both scoring and fewest points allowed.

IMO, the game would have come down to the ability of the Chargers to score points and not commit a bunch of turnovers. Only once did the Bears score more than 17 points when they did not have the benefit of 4+ turnovers and in that game they got 3 turnovers. The Bears only scored more than 17 points 6 times in 14 games. When the 1963 Chargers lost, it was usually due to high turnovers (6 and 7 turnovers in two of their losses). The Chargers only scored fewer than 20 points three times in 14 games and only once after the second game of the season.

With both teams playing their best, I agree with the experts that the 1963 Chargers likely would have won a game against the 1963 Bears had they played.

It should absolutely count as a major championship just as much as any pre-merger NFL championship counts.

That said, that AFL championship was still 53 years ago. It's time to get another one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    The Japanese league is not as strong as MLB, not even close. The AFL proved that it could compete head to head against the NFL. That is the difference in the comparison that you are making.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    The whole Ichiro thing isn't even a debate.

Major League Baseball settled that debate years ago (and continue to do so to this day) when they declared Ichiro eligible for the Rookie of the Year award his first season in the league.

If he's a Rookie that year then his stats in Japan aren't on par.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +345
    I was just yankin yer chain, HEY YO!