1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Does the coaching staff believe in Mathews?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Lightning_Dynasty, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310
    What pissed me off most from the loss to Arizona, that I still just can't get over is how, on the final drive, Mathews was on the bench in favor of Woodhead. I love Woody as much as the next guy, but Mathews is the best back we have. He should have been there at the end of the game, and he should have gotten it on 4th and 2--Arizona was playing pass all day at the end, and I honestly believe Mathews would have had no trouble picking it up and possibly turning it into something big, just like he did earlier in the game.

The fact that our coaching staff did not put him in at all there at the end makes me have to question their faith in his abilities. I love Mathews, have since we drafted him, and when he finally had the big year he always had the potential for last year, I was ecstatic, and I'm really hoping his contract gets renewed at the end of the season, but if the coaching staff doesn't ave enough faith in him to have him on the field when it's make or break time, then I just don't see it happening.

/rant.

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    I'm clueless as to why RM isn't in there either. The same thing happen last year too. I don't believe BS about him not picking up blitz well. So you're telling me Woodhead who is smaller is better at it? Come on

3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    He is though. Woodhead and Brown are better at picking up the blitz.

Like you guys I'm not agreeing with the total exclusion of Mathews based on that criteria alone though...