1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Does the Patrick Crayton pick up open trade for VJ???

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by charger1993, Sep 3, 2010.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    The Cowboys search for a trading partner to relieve themselves of wide receiver Patrick Crayton has finally come to an end, with the Chargers stepping up to the plate and offering a seventh round pick in next year’s draft.

NFL Network’s Jason LaCanfora was the first to break the story, first indicating a trade was close and then posting the news of Crayton’s departure from Big D to his Twitter account.

Crayton’s acquisition gives the Chargers enough weapons on offense to finally part ways with fellow receiver Vincent Jackson, and while a deal on that front isn’t thought to be close, San Diego’s front office will likely make a big push to get it done between now and tomorrow afternoon.

The front runner so far for Jackson’s services is Seattle, but other teams may get into the mix now that the Chargers motivation to trade him has increased.

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Its a much better pickup than Reed, so yeah.

I think VJack is gone if Seattle can unload Housh for a pick or two, and hopefully we can get some picks in return.

3. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    Yea the nfl already has posted that housh is gone with or with out trade, the sea hawks will cut him and swallow the money... so i strongly believe that vj will go to the seahawks and we get 2 second round picks

4. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I hope your right, Chargers could be power brokers in the 11' draft.

5. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    i agree cause if we get 2 seconds and if cromartie is a second that gives us 5 i think???correect me if im wrong... but if we have 5 second round picks i would love to trade 3 of em if it takes that much and move up to grab safety De'andre mcdaniel, and or Allen Bailey from miami

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    how can Seattle pay a cut guy and VJ north of 4-5 million?

7. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    Idk but if u go to nfl.com the breaking news things says he is done in seattle no matter what

8. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Bailey doesn't fit our scheme, I see him as an ideal DT in a 4-3, kinda like Dan Price. But as we are going to lose VJack I'd like to see us land Jonathan Baldwin, AJ Green, or Michael Floyd.

And keep in mind Merriman is leaving, Sproles may be gone, McNeill's future is up in the air, and Siler, Cooper, and Burnett are all on 1yr deals....saftey is not a huge concern for me.

9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Uncapped year... so no salary cap to have to stay under. And beyond that, I've got two words for you... PAUL ALLEN! The guy is the wealthiest owner in the NFL and 2nd wealthiest in American professional sports (may still be #1 considering the guy from Cisco Systems didn't win his bid to buy the Golden State Warriors).

10. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    One thing also to keep in mind is that AJ price of a 2nd round pick for VJ.

11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Yeah, I've got to agree with Mat. The only safeties I would have traded up for to take in the 1st were in this year's draft: Berry (as a pure safety) and Earl Thomas as a guy who is the everything DB (can realistically play either safety position in our D as well as CB).

If we're trading up for a 5-T, I'd be eying Cam Heyward, but even then I get the feeling he's a little more 1-gap and we've been trending far more towards 2-gap of late. We could likely get close to the same value, as a 2-gap DL, out of someone like Jared Crick or even a Derek Wolfe (Cincinnati) in the natural 2nd round.

Honestly, if AJ is loaded for bear (3+ picks) in the 2nd round, I wouldn't be surprised to see him flat out go BPA at any position he doesn't already have a franchise player at (so essentially not QB, RB, or TE). That could mean Jack Crawford as another OLB, since Phillips will be in a contract year. That could mean Brandon Harris or Aaron Williams at corner (since there have been rumors of Jammer being transitioned to safety at some point). That could be an OT (too difficult to really pick at this point because the top OT's always fluctuate during the 1st 1/3 of the college season, though I'd rule out Anthony Costanzo almost from the start because we've traditionally not gone anywhere near "undersized/sub-300 lbs." linemen).

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    If it's JUST A SECOND, then I imagine the team I'd most likely want to make the trade with is the Rams. They balked when the request was two picks but for just one I think they'd be interested. Not to mention I'd gain some joy in sending VJ to the worst team in the NFL.

As far as next year's draft then, I'd be looking at OT and DE first

13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    At this point I'd think the Boys would have more interest in McNiell if he were made available. Then again, with Washington now having sunk franchise money into two bookends, Jerruh could be figuring that his biggest competition for whatever top OT hits the market next offseason is gone... and he'll just bide his time.

14. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    If that were the place he landed, honestly Id have to be a semi-fan of his since hed be so close to home. Also not like I can cheer for the CHefs.

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I realize we only gave up a 7th rounder, but this trade makes no sense to me. Josh Reed may be history, but with the emergence of Craig Davis as a viable receiver at long last, the obvious impact of Malcom and Naanee, the impressive rookie performances of Ajirotutu and Williams, our three pass catching and blocking TE's, Sproles and other backs that can all catch passes, I fail to see what use we have for him on the verge of the cut to 53. VJ is a non factor and contrary to what things looked like at the end of last season, he is not entirely irreplaceable. As UFDAs, both Seyi and Jeremy are cheaper than Crayton and have more than enough talent to contribute at least at the same level as Crayton. The only thing that suggests itself is the move to the PS or SA or JW, but that would be a really risky move. Visions of Wes Welker here.

16. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Just a AJ scare tactic. Wait and see how this pans out. It may all be worth a 7th rounder.

17. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    This pick is nothing more than a "shot across the bow" of VJ and his agents.

18. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    idk i like the thought of a safety in the first, if we trade to get another first next year, id go OL to replace mcneil,then de'andre,then use the rest of our picks, to get good solid dl and lb, and the 6th rd pick better be a 3rd string qb who doesnt suck

19. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Keep this in mind...

IF there is a new CBA which contains a rookie wage scale, and if A.J. stockpiles picks, we will be able to draft a lot of dudes the first year the rookie cap is in place. This could bode well in future years if the cap remains (likely).

20. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Well, he's scaring the crap out me. :icon_rofl:

21. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Just saw some video and posts from Dallas Sports writers and they all seem to think that this was a steal for the Chargers. the Dallas guy was speaking on ESPN saying Crayton had the best hands on the team, knew the playbook better than anyone, and losing him leaves them with a second year guy in Austin who may or may not repeat his break out season, a rookie who is already hurt, Roy Williams, enough said there, and Ogltree who caught 7 passes last year. I think we just picked up a chain mover. Think he may move into the #2 spot once he gets familiar with everything here. His comments on ESPN state that he is coming in to be the #2 guy. It also states the 7th round pick is conditional and could move to a 6th if he catches 40 or more passes.