1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Does this mean Shaun Philips moves to DE?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Phillips isn't exactly tiny at 265 or so LBS...This would make a lot more sense to me if we're planning to move him up to DE or...if he gets moved to MLB...which he played in 2004 a bit before being moved outside. I know he played DE at Purdue...but we have one big *** log jam now at OLB for something not to happen.

How about this defensive lineup:

DE- S. Phillips / R. Bingham
    DT- J. Williams
    DE- L. Castillo

OLB- L. English / J. Tucker
    ILB- S. Cooper
    ILB- K. Burnett
    OLB- S. Merriman

CB- Q. Jammer
    CB- A. Cromartie
    FS- E. Weddle
    SS- A. Cason / P. Oliver

2. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I like the way that looks... I hope this is the way they go or something similar.

As long as they just drafted a starter and not a backup, I'm happy. I don't know much about this guy English, but I have to trust the experts that he has the talent. I just didn't want our first pick spent on a backup in a year we need a championship push.

3. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I don't care what you call the possition (DE/OLB) just let them loose and have them meet at the QB, keep rotating them and keep them fresh, like the gnats did/do

4. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I have heard of Phillips being moved to ILB by Rivera........any way you slice it, I trust will use our pieces to get us back to a championship calibur D for 2009!!!

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    maybe ILB makes more sense because he can cover better and whatnot.

Still I think this is a specific slap across the face to Phillips, that he can't do anything without Merirman. English is brought in specifically because he can be an individual wrecking ball that Phillips can't be.

6. SecretAsianMan

SecretAsianMan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45
    That's actually not a bad idea. Phillip's numbers did drop off without Merrimen in the mix, and his coverage skills aren't all that bad.

Who knows, maybe Phillips can excel in the ILB position and we finally stop bringing in free agent Middle Linebackers one after another to fill that spot. I don't think we've ever really had any quality player in that position since we lost Donnie Edwards.

7. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    that looks like some serious pressure!!!! I LOVE IT!!

8. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Watch the pic cam replay, Norv says that English will be used on 500-600 plays in nickel situations, that he won't necessarially be a starter right away. Norv also throws out a hypothetical with Merriman on the right, English on the left, and Phillips coming in from somewhere else. The Chargers will be aggressive on D, that is the bottom line. Take the over on sacks in '09.

Tomorrow is going to be interesting.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    they need that, they've been too passive since Wade left. We need some more 'pin your ears back and go ***** slap somebody'. Hopefully Rivera gives us that.

I still say that this puts specific pressure on Phillips and Merriman

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    ...the bench.:yes:

11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    When I look at English I see a Shaun Phillips CLONE. Nothing more, nothing less.

12. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807

From the horse's mouth...

:tup:

13. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Shaun Phillips isnt moving to DE...he is'nt near big enough. I know Rivera will throw in some 4-3 sets but as a 3-4 DE, Phillips is way too light to play DE. If he moves anywhere, might move to ILB but i jujst think they will find a way to get those guys on the field often in passing situations.

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    May we be getting ready to employ a bit of the 52 defense??:icon_shrug: I'm not against this pick, but there has to be more behind it than what meets the eye. Hell I don't know, just trying to think outside of the box.

15. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

Same here, I'm not against the pick either. I just hope they address our Achilles heal last year, that stupid fugging slant play to the TE.

That one single play killed us last year

16. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    So did untimely runs up our soft gut.

17. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Agreed. Phillips only outstanding trait is his first step. Without that he's not "the other guy"... he's just another guy. Moving him to ILB would erase his ability to make big plays.

My main concern with hiim is that teams can account for his first step when Merriman isn't around. He dissapeared last year. That doesn't say much for Phillips.

If we consider that without Merriman (due to injury, losing a step, trade, or whatever), we'll have one of the worse pass rushes in the league then the English move makes sense. Maybe he'll be good enough to open up some opportunities for Phillips and crew.

IMO, Phillips is staying exactly where he is.