1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Does this mean the market for McNeil is set?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Jul 7, 2010.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
  2. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    F no. D'Brickshaw is a MUCH better LT than McNeill. McNeill's reputation and a couple of pro-bowls were really built on his initial year in the league. He regressed after that and leveled off. I'm not saying he's a bad player, but he's not some sort of pro-bowl talent....and i fear that if we dump a bunch of money on this dude, he's going to go downhill quick and won't take any chances of injuring his neck again. I have a really bad feeling about dumping a bunch of money on McNeill.

If we start out the season without McNeill, I won't be surprised at all if he really isn't missed too badly. We won't miss his poor runblocking and I suspect that Philip's quick release has helped with pass blocking more than anything else.

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
  4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Injuring his neck again? The deude has missed all of 2 games in the 4 years he has been in the league. Why do people keep bringing up an injury he had in college that has had little to no affect on his NFL career

5. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Just my guess. But the whole problem with giving mcneil the huge 2nd contract is his health. Even he was complaining big time last season and this off season about his health. So that is a big concern.

My guess is number #1 priority next off season is finding another good left tackle.

6. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I don't know if it has had no effect. He was great when he was trying to establish himself in his first year...and then has just put it into cruise control since then. I don't see that getting any better when the dude has a truckload of cash in his bank account.

Peyton played without his LT and Rivers will be fine also. If he wants a top 5 OT contract, F him and move on with some young blood.

7. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    McNeill watches fellow LT get paid

July, 7, 2010

By Bill Williamson

This has to get Marcus McNeill's attention.

The New York Jets just gave left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson a new deal. Ferguson was given a six-year, $60 million contract extension.

I’m sure that’s the type of new contract McNeill would like from San Diego. While Ferguson may be a little more accomplished, the two left tackles are comparable players.

McNeill is entering the final year of his contract in San Diego. He is a restricted free agent who did not sign his tender by the deadline. He is likely going to hold out well into the season.

Normally, Ferguson’s deal could be used as a barometer for McNeill’s deal. But the Chargers’ current stance is that they will not give McNeill a new contract while there is CBA uncertainty. The Chargers would like to keep McNeill and may eventually give him a new deal, but it is going to take a while.

Seeing a comparable player at his position get paid this summer will likely only make McNeill more convinced to hold out unless the Chargers uncharacteristically change their mind.

8. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    :yawn:

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    A
    As I posted earlier in another thread, top LT's Were making $8-9 mil 4-5 years ago ( go lookup Walter jones and the Vikes LT). $10 for a top guy 4-5 years later isn't unreasonable or unrealistic

10. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556

I agree its too much for him, but unless we spend a 1st round pick on an OT next year and pray that we hit a homerun... I don't think McNeil is as replaceable as VJack. We're in that Super Bowl window right now, and losing our best linemen is a big hit.

11. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33

Yeeeeeeeeep.

12. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,419
    Exactly.

His history in not making players such as LT and Philip Rivers the richest or one of the richest in the game at their positions proves how much of a tightwad he is. :mad:

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He has been forced to spend a certain amount in the past. Last year we were nearly $10 mil under the cap, and this year he shedded nearly $10mil more. He has the opprotunity to pad his pockets in a year where there isn't a salary floor, and he is doing so, just like several other owners.

14. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    dear lord i hope you arent anybody's agent in the outside world.

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Just look at the facts, and tell me where I am wrong this year.

16. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Many of tried in the past and sadly you refuse to listen. Debating with you is a pointless endeavor. The reasons being:

1- your uninformed non-fact based analysis
    2- you myopic bias against AJ and management
    3- you refuse to ever concede a lost point even in the face of overwhelming factual information
    4- a scary combination of stubborness paired with monumental ignorace.

:flag:

17. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    That sounds like someone else....

18. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    :lol:

You're going to have to narrow it down for me.

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I have never had anyone even try to give reasoning on why the opinion that the owners are just padding their pockets this year (Many national media guys believe the same thing), is not true. They try to use "Uncertain future" as an excuse, yet they are the ones that will have to vote on the future. There is no reason what so ever that any owner or the NFLPA would vote to penalize a team for re-signing their own players, NONE! The only reason they are not doing so, is they are not required to spend a certain amount of money, and are taking advantage of that fact by cutting payroll and refusing to resign players, while using their GM's and front offices are their bullet proof vest. I do not blame AJ one bit for this situation, as he is just an employee doing what the person who signs his paycheck, told is telling him to do.

Please come up with one valid reason why they can't re-sign one or 2 of their FA's. Please!

By the way, there have been many occasions where I said I was wrong when someone pointed out a mistake. But I am not going to say I am wrong, just because someone says I am, without any backup to their claim.

20. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    *yawn*

I'll invest one post and one post only. NFL contracts are not guaranteed like they are in most other sports. That means the the total dollars included in the contract often times are never realized. If they are it means the player played up to the contract. The way the players offset that is by getting huge signing bonuses. That is what protects the player. It also makes sense for the team, especially in relation to the salary cap. Ferguson's guaranteed money is a record for an OL at 34 mil. Under normal circumstances that would be a sound investment even if he doesn't play the last couple of years of the contract. That would be 34 mil plus salaries for 4 seasons. Now with the lockout looming and a possible new salary structure coming out the other side, we are talking 34 mil plus salaries potentially for three seasons or less. Most NFL team do not see that as a wise business decision in light of the uncertain future.

It's been reported the the NFL will still get the 2011 tv money even if there is a lockout. Most believe that is not the case and that the networks would go to court for breach of contract in an effort to get their money back. So in Ferguson's case you would be paying him over 10 mil in 2011 even though he is not working and you are not generating income. Just because the Jets and a couple of other teams are willing to do that doesn't make it the smart decision.

21. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    [​IMG]

22. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    How was the economy 4-5 years ago? You don't think that the NFL has been impacted by the recession in any way?

23. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    If the Jets throw caution to the wind and sign all their players to long contracts without knowing whats going to happen with the CBA...

...and they go to the superbowl and win it..

..will it have been worth it to them???

HELL YEAH!

If that happens and Chargers have a poor year...I will be calling for the WHOLE CHARGERS ADMINISTRATION to be fired!!

after all...its only money hehe lol

24. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    What will you do if the reverse happens.

25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    And actually to correct you a tad bit there, though I agree with your position... The Jets are essentially paying Ferguson over $10 million for 2011 RIGHT NOW. Signing bonuses are paid in full and up front, these aren't option bonuses, workout bonuses, or roster bonuses which are stipulated to be paid out on scheduled future dates. Signing bonus checks are cut as soon as the ink hits the contract (hence the "signing" terminology).

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this new deal for Ferguson. I would contend that Ferguson's body of work since joining the league is superior and suggests a higher ceiling than can be said of McNeill. Assuming there is some sort of protection clause in there or structuring that the guaranteed money is manageable and paid out in the first 2.5 years o the contract (heck, I'd even kick a slightly higher base to MM in the last 3 years to get the guaranteed money down), I'm fine with using the Jason Peters extension he signed with Philadelphia last season as the model for a MM extension. Peters is, I feel, a rather similar player, both in the health concerns he had, and him being a bit overhyped past what his production would suggest.

As far as Jackson... at this point, and looking purely to the future, I almost agree with how AJ is handling him... particularly if he doesn't trade him. Does it set the team back some? Of course, but if a deal gets done with McNeill (either because McNeill caves on his holdout or Gates gets his extension and MM is the next logical progression for extensions) and VJ remains unsigned, that sends a clear message to anyone on the roster up for a new contract in the coming years and anyone the Chargers may draft/develop down the line: That those who produce AND don't demonstrate conduct detrimental to the team will be given priority over those who steer away from that path.

26. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    the chargers would have signed mcneil long term a while ago. But he has some bad health problems with his spine. He was hurting all last year. And from what I've read from his tweets he was hurting bad. So the chargers are very wary of signing him long term. I believe the chargers wanted to get one more year out of him before he fell apart. Or proved he could last for 4 or 5 more years.

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    When they are making more from tickets, concessions, parking and TV deals than they were 4-5 years ago, I would say no where near as much as most other industries, if any at all

28. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Jesus christ. Some of you guys have been watching this game for a long time and the **** I read is mind boggling. :icon_huh:

Dean Spanos made LT is HIGHEST PAID running back in the league.

Rivers is the 3rd highest paid QB and rightfully so.

This cheap talk I hear that the Spanos' do not spend the money is really bullshit. The Chargers have been traditionally right up against the spending cap limits. Look it up.

Also - NFL contracts are GUARANTEED. If you blow out a knee even in mini camp, you get your whole base paycheck. That is basically the only guarantee you have but it is guaranteed never the less in case of job related injuries.

ALL NFL contracts are a series of VOIDABLE ONE YEAR CONTRACTS. ALL OF THEM. Moral terpitude clauses exist in every NFL contract which is one of the triggers to void someones contract.

Some of you are using fuzzy math on D'Bricks contract. The dude is only getting $5 million per year and not $10 million per year. Nobody ever sees or pockets the monies reported in the media. That is all fluff for the sake of sensationalism.

29. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    I rest my case. :yes:

30. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Leo, you seem to know so much about these Owners. Lets go back a ways. Besides the signing of rivers and paying LT. What other big moves has Alex made over the years. Forget Dean for now. I think he may be a little less greedy. But honestly. Please school me on how Alex as an owner threw in the chips. How did he give back to his fans? I have been going to Charger games since the Chicken was there and my father watched them when Hilton owned them. If I am wrong about this I would like the info or just some examples. Maybe I am wrong. I just cant get over the stadium thing. Alex wanted part ownership of the property that was being developed next to the stadium. The condos and the shopping centers. That was part of the reason the new stadium went out the window.