1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Dolphins' Porter claims officials apply different rules to Pats' Brady

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d813f9529&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Here's the Video

Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis complained earlier this year about what he perceived to be a different set of rules for Patriots quarterback Tom Brady. Lewis' comments came after Baltimore was called for two roughing-the-passer penalties against Brady during a narrow Week 4 loss at New England.

Now Joey Porter is joining Lewis in protest.

In his weekly "Porter's House" segment Thursday on NFL Network, the outspoken Miami Dolphins linebacker was unequivocal in his belief that officials treat Brady differently than other quarterbacks.

"When a guy can tell a ref when to throw a flag and he gets it and stuff like that, I mean he got his own rules," said Porter, whose Dolphins face the Patriots in a crucial AFC East showdown Sunday. "They made the whole 'don't go at the legs (rule)' because of Tom. So whenever he feels that somebody is coming at his legs, he just points at the ref and he gets the flag. So you got to honestly say that he has his own set of rules."

That wasn't all Porter had to say about the Patriots. He revealed that he has long hated the team and said the Dolphins felt disrespected by New England's "players and the coaching staff" because they chose to kick the ball into Miami's stretching area before last season's game in Foxborough, Mass.

"Certain stuff like that, they know that you can't do, but they did it when we were in New England, and somehow they got away with it" Porter said. "They won't be able to try that again this week."

Never one to mince words, Porter also revealed the root of his dislike for the Patriots.

"The hate has been there for awhile, especially after the cheating they did back in the day," Porter said, referring to the Patriots' 2007 videotaping scandal that cost them their 2008 first-round draft pick.

Porter then continued, "They can sweep it under the rug if they want to, but just like anybody else that do something (wrong), that's caught by cheating, you put an asterisk by it."

Last week, Porter talked tough about the Jets, and his team backed him up with a 30-25 victory at New York. Will the Dolphins do so again at Gillette Stadium on Sunday?

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Dear Joey Porter,

Duh.

Signed,
    The World

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Capt. Obvious :lol:

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Wonder if players speaking out on this will eventually lead to fines.

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    So far it hasn't. When Ray Lewis spoke his mind regarding Brady pleading to the ref, Rodney Harrison backed Lewis.

These guys are right. Only place you can tackle a QB now is between his chest and waist.

6. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    next from Jerry Porter "hey the sky is blue":yes:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +685
    We all know the NLF washes the pats nuts on a regular basis, so what else is new.

Carson Palmer got his knee blown, no rule.

The "Chosen One" get his knee blown, so now their is the Brady rule.

Just like the other "NFL Face" Manning whined like a little ***** about his WRs getting mugged and we got the "Manning" don't breath hard on my WRs rule.

If they are going be so ticky-tacky about Brady, then the Ds should just say **** it and crush him. If you are gonna get 15yrd for breathing next the guy, might as well make the 15 yrds count. :icon_twisted:

8. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    Porter is that "look at me....LOOK at ME" kid that everyone grew up with. He has nothing to offer beyond poorly worded taunts.

I say drill QB's every legal chance you get.

If you can't go low then tackle through their sternum, that'll slow them down.

I hope Porter gets his bell rung.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    So, I take it you disagree with Porter?:lol:

10. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    I would hit Brady anyway, WTF. It would be worth the fine to lay him out. I'm not even talking about his knees, just a massive hit. I hope Joey does it.

11. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Joey's right and has the ball's to say it! :tup:

I'd send him some money if he get's fined. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  12. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    I just bet the house on the Pats running up the score on Porter and the Phins.

I'm guessing the Pats win by 17, even with a junk Dolphins td thrown in at the end.

13. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Geeee,what a surprise! The Pats running up the score. Color me impressed. :icon_rofl:

14. BossChief

BossChief BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Defensive players need to just stfu because the more rules are made to protect quarterbacks, the better offenses will become potent across the board and that sells more tickets and tv contracts go up...pretty much everything to do with the nfl becomes more profitable...that leads to higher player salaries and that is what allows players like him to make over 10 million/ year when they used to get less than a quarter of that just a few short years ago.

Some of these guys dont even understand that qbs are ultimately the ones that write their checks.

:icon_toast:

15. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Who is Joey Porter?

16. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Well, then lets put skirts on all the QB's and surround them with an invisible fence.:icon_tease:

17. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    So......you're in favor of a mercy rule? In professional sports?

Interesting.

18. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    How Belichick of you. The only man that can light up a room by walking out of it.

19. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,581
    [​IMG]

20. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    I've come to realize that posts like this are a coping mechanism for you. Everyone deserves a security blanket of sorts.:icon_toast:

Here's the latest interview with the coach so you can get your fix of Bahstun accents and monotone answers.....:yes:

WEEI Big Show Interview

21. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    After watching lots of games over my illustrious football fan career, I have noticed a certaint bias when it comes to the "darling" teams such as NY, Pats, Denver & Colts.

The calls on the field are sweeter in favor of these teams as is the media coverage.

This cannot be denied.

I say knock the dog snot out of them within the rules and let the scoreboard decide.......we have been doing it to the Colts and Denver for quite a while now. Pats and the Gnats I hope are next. :abq1:

22. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    So if people just pay to see QBs, why don't we make the NFL a 7 on 7 league and do away with the pass rush altogether? I love watching a great QB, but I prefer those QBs be treated like football players. Having rules to help protect them is one thing, but the rules have gotten ridiculous. And the star players do get special treatment, which is not right.

23. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    Just wait until the committee they've developed to study head injuries in football presents their findings and recommendations. You won't even recognize football then.

I've heard they plan to do away with the three point stance all together. That is not a joke, they are serious about it. :tdown:

24. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Football isn't the same game I grew up with. Brady and the Pat's surely can't be the only ones at fault for dis-assembly of a once Physical sport for all player's.

This crusade started in the 70's and was reason of cause for Jack Lambert's quote to become famous " They should just dress QB's in dresses"

25. BossChief

BossChief BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    I dont think the new rules are a big deal one bit.

The league has been around long enough to have a good sample size of where injuries occur. If half the injuries occur from hits to the head and low blows below the knees...do what you can to protect against that so the game can evolve.

This is a QB driven league. Wherever there is a batman, there is a joker...wherever there a superman, there is a lex luther. Therefore wherever there is a Peyton Manning, there will be a Jared Allen. Wherever there is a Phillip Rivers, there is a Shawne Merriman.

This is why pass rushers get paid almost as much as qbs nowadays.

Pass rushers should be thankful for the rules.

26. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    What I look for is the ref's calling of games at teams home games. For some reason other than cleveland all the calls usually go on the side of the home team.:yes:

27. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    A 31 minute Belichick interview?

That would be painful for anyone, even Pats fans.

28. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Unless he had his new girlfriend by his side with a bikini on

:drool:

29. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    Oops! I had no idea it was 31 minutes!:icon_eek:

I would never intentionally do that to another human being.....:no:

• Like Like x 1
  30. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Interesting...why do you think Cleveland is an exception?