1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Dolphins sign OT Clabo

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT-Express, May 5, 2013.

1. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +343
  2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,582
    Good news. We don't need a 3rd right tackle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    So what LT's are left? Starks? Is Winston Justice a LT or RT?

4. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455
    one less player in the tackle market

5. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +343

Justice is a RT.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,592
    Starks is basically it and I can't promise he's a better option than Dunlap

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,368
    He's got more experience, but is he truly "better"?......... we need depth, but we could really use an upgrade, and there doesn't appear to be one available.

8. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    I mean he gave up 3 sacks last year in 16 games at LOT. Only committed 3 penalties too. So, I don't see where some people say his kick slide has declined significantly. Only thing with him is if he can pass his physical, which he should.

Also, he came into the league with Ben Roethlisberger, he's been on 1 year deals the last 3 years, and I think he really wants to block for Ben. But it'd be nice if Ken Whisenhunt could reach out to him. I'd take him on a 2 year deal worth up to $4M, he only made $890K last year.

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,368
    Well, he's coming off a knee injury, so who knows if he's ready to pass a physical yet?

10. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +123
    I HIGHLY doubt we sign anyone. Remember last year, our OL coach started more than a few games with Andy Levitre at LT, and the rest of the year Cordy Glenn (who was viewed to many the same as Fluker; a RT only that might even be forced to OG) started at LT. I think we wont die if we're forced to play Fluker on the left side for a game. Again i'll bring up the point about how Joe D, new OL coach, recruited Dunlap VERY hard to go to Ga Tech, where he was coaching when he chose to go to Auburn and has been in contact with him ever since then. I still think he's a guy that we could get much more than we expected out of. I think we can do something similar to what he did with Demetrees Bell (which is a very good thing) where he took a more or less unknown or unproven commodity at LT, and let him play, turned him into a bigtime signing for the eagles a year later. I think he'll have similar success with Dunlap at LT, with Fluker there if absolutely needed.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  11. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +750
    The Union-Tribune San Diego reports the Chargers "haven't reached out" to free agent OT Max Starks.
    Starks is the best left tackle on the market while the Chargers have a compelling need on Philip Rivers' blindside, so it's a surprise, particularly after the Bolts went hard after Bryant McKinnie. Longtime reporter Kevin Acee expects the Chargers to go into the season with King Dunlap at left tackle. Dunlap has made just 19 starts in 52 career games.

12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +750
    The Union-Tribune San Diego's Kevin Acee expects the Chargers to begin the season with King Dunlap at left tackle.
    Acee believes journeyman Kevin Haslam could "perhaps" get a shot, but doesn't consider Mike Harris a candidate on the blindside after he got brutalized in place of Jared Gaither last season. A replacement-level talent, Dunlap has made just 19 starts in 52 career appearances. It's probably going to be another long year for declining veteran Philip Rivers.

13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +750
    Hey look on the bright side, at least we have a whole year of hell to look forward to, that maybe just maybe one of these LT's in next years draft won't sky rocket their value out of our price range.:whistling:

I'm hopping on the Cyrus Kouandjio train right now

14. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +343
    Let's just hope this Oline doesn't end his career. I mean another season of 40+ sacks if it happens could be devastating for PR. Let's also hope he still has something in the tank when we finally are able to build a line again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,368
    Here comes the dink and dunk offense. ;)

I guess Acee's new gig is the resident alarmist.

I hate to rain on his analysis, but even if we had drafted one of the three LT's, there's no guarantee that a rookie would be significantly better than a guy like Dunlap (someone who's actually played in the NFL).

Anyone remember Robert Gallery? He was widely considered a can't miss LT pick, and he had to move to guard to have any kind of career. There's just no way to know if a rookie player will catch on right way (or at all).

We're still better off than last year, because after Gaither went out, we had nobody, but an UDFA rookie, Mike Harris to step in. Now, we have Dunlap, Haslam, and a more experienced Harris.

It may be far from ideal, but it's not exactly doom and gloom either.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Dunlap-Green-Hardwick-Clary-Fluker

Maybe not a doom and gloom starting OL. But if you think that's gonna get us anywhere, you must be chewing shrooms to combat the doom and gloom ;)

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,368
    No Green, unless you mean Ladarius...... but he'd have to put on weight. ;)

I think people over fixate on the left tackle position. What I saw last season, was a line that gave up pressure every which way. The inside pressure was just as troubling as the outside. From my perspective, having Fluker at RT, and moving Clary inside to RG shores up that side. Then, what we need is a better LG/LT duo than last year to have a net improvement.

If Troutman, or one of the other FA guards is better than Green was, and Dunlap plays better than Harris did (which he certainly should), then the line as a whole should be better than last year. Couple that with a quicker hitting offense, and different blocking scheme, Rivers may not be the piñata that he was in 2012.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Sure, but all those ifs are a tad worrisome.
    First we're assuming that Clary will be better than roller skates. Not so sure about that.
    Second assumption that whoever is at LG will be better than Green. Not so sure about that either (and yeah that's a sad thing, but who are we going to plug in there?)
    In all likelihood Dunlap will be better than Harris--that assumption is a good one. That's a start. But I wouldn't fault any doom and gloomers on this one.

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,368
    It's hard to put much stock in doom and gloom, when we don't even know what offensive scheme we'll be running this year. There's a lot to be worked out before the games start, so these early predictions mean exactly squat.

20. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Per usual ;)

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,368
    Yep. I find it funny that people are already proclaiming wins and losses based on "strength of schedule", when time and time again, it's been shown that one year's record does not accurately predict the next. A presumably "tough schedule" at the start of the year, often turns out to be anything but when reviewed at the end.

I'll wait until we've set our roster, and played the preseason, before I venture to guess at what kind of team we'll be fielding this year.

22. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Well,

Dunlap > Harris/Haslam
    Rinehart > Green
    Hardwick = Hardwick
    Troutman = Vasquez
    Fluker > Clary

Now, I am ready to say Troutman will be Vasquez esque, already despite taking an NFL snap. I went back to his college tape, and most notably the Alabama game where the Penn State rushed for 108 yards against a very stout Alabama defense and gave up 0 sacks. It's simple, both Troutman and Vasquez aren't the best pass blockers, but in the run game their maulers.

Fluker is the slightest bit an upgrade over Clary. I think there both pretty similar, except Fluker has a ceiling rather than Clary. Fluker, another run mauler who has his struggles in the pass game, but with Troutman and Fluker on the right side of the line, look for the run game to improve.

Dunlap and Rinehart will prove to be a big upgrade over Harris/Haslam and Green from 2012 in the pass game and run game.

One last thing, that is pretty damn important too,

Whisenhunt > Hunter
    D'Alessandris > Sullivan

End of the day, comes down to coaching. I'm not saying McCoy is better than Turner, but he has already done some things that Turner never did here in San Diego in 4 months compared to Norv's 6 years.

23. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    I really don't see how you can say that. That's an insult to Fluker. Fluker has performed really well against the best competition in college football. He wouldn't of been rated a first round pick by everyone if he wasn't. I see him as a huge upgrade over Clary at RT. Clary was one the WORST takles in football last year(pretty sure he was in the bottom 5.) I just don't see Fluker being one of the worst tackles in football, or even close to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    No tellin not knowin. We'll have to see how it all shakes out. I'll say this though: the Chargers are interviewing available good LTs. That alone should tell you how they feel about Dunlap.

25. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +124
    More likely, it says a lot about who they have other than Dunlap. Dunlap can be a solid left tackle, but they do not have much experience behind him. They seem to be looking for some competition for the position, not that Dunlap will be a failure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    He struggled against Quanterus Smith of Western Kentucky in pass protection, and most of AJ McCaron's hurries came from Fluker's side in pass protection. He doesn't have the quickest feet. I'm not ready to say he's gonna be a huge upgrade over Clary just yet, but his ceiling is quite high, whether he pans out or not time will tell. I think he can be twice the player Clary once was, but we'll have to wait and see. I hope he is another Anthony Davis.

27. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    They were going to pay Starks or Mckinnie to compete with Dunlap? :confused:

28. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,368
    Rock, paper, scissors...... I suspect.

29. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I doubt that. Dunlap just isn't that good.

30. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,368
    Yet. ;)