1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Dombo downed for year

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Jul 26, 2012.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jul/26/dombrowski-likely-headed-pup/

Brandyn Dombrowski faced long odds to make the Chargers' 53-man roster.
    Now, he won't have a chance to compete.

The reserve tackle is being placed on injured reserve, the team announced Thursday. Sources said he has a cyst in his foot and would have been sidelined for about two months.

Dombrowski was limited throughout the offseason with a foot injury, missing several weeks of voluntary conditioning, organized team activities and minicamp while wearing a protective foot.
    He was absent Thursday at the team's morning walkthrough.

In March, the Charger applied the lowest restricted free agent tender on Dombrowski. He is set to become an unrestricted free agent in 2013.

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,405
    I heard that Gaither was carted off with a bad back, and Whitehurst hurt his knee.

Standard first day of practice for the Chargers. :rolleyes:

3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    This **** only happens to us.

4. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,405
    Gaither, Whitehurst exit Chargers practice early

Backup quarterback Charlie Whitehurst stood on the sideline, his left knee wrapped in ice.

Left tackle Jared Gaither lowered into a cart and was shuttled off the field.

Seeing the rate things things were going Thursday afternoon, Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers joked to “sound the horn” on the team's first training camp practice.

The hope for both players is that it's nothing serious.

Whitehurst was able to walk off the field on his own power.

“I'll be all right,” he said in the locker room. “It's not bad.”

Before being carted off, Gaither leaned forward as an athletic trainer pressed ice against his lower back. The 6-foot-9 lineman, who signed a four-year, $24.5 million contract in March, had what one teammate called a “full body cramp."

Depth, depth, depth.

It's been the chorus to an offseason that's seen the Chargers sign 20 veterans with at least four years of NFL experience. It's what they hope will be the difference in their campaign to end a two-year playoff drought.

They'd just rather not depend on that depth this soon.

With Gaither out, reserve Mario Henderson saw first-team reps at left tackle the rest of practice. It was a good test for the 335-pounder.

"That's what I'm trying to make the team to do," Henderson said. "To be a swing (tackle) or backup. So on the first day, let's show them.

Show them right now. That's what I want to be. That's what they brought me in for. I can do it, left side or right side."

Injuries have reared their head around the Chargers in recent years. It's just one of those things.

Said wide receiver Malcom Floyd: "That's just a part of football."

"You just hope it's not you," Floyd added. "The thing is, we're fortunate just to get out of practice healthy, and that's my goal. Get out of practice healthy and productive."

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    Last report I heard with Gaither was that it was a full body cramp

6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,405
    Is there really such a thing? ;)

7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    Yet another familiar site...
    [​IMG]

8. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    well...it's not like SD or Buffalo expecting Merriman to get hurt. At least we know it wouldn't matter if English were healthy

9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    Lets hope AJ has Mcneills agent on speed dial

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Chao'd again.

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Hey look - Charger news from a local paper sans pay window. :rolleyes:

CHARGERS: Whitehurst injury prompts team to look for QBs
    [​IMG]

Lenny Ignelzi

San Diego Chargers quarterback Charlie Whitehurst during practice Thursday, May 31, 2012 in San Diego. (AP Photo\/Lenny Ignelzi)

SAN DIEGO ---- The Chargers had a rough start to training camp. On the injury front at least.
    Quarterback Charlie Whitehurst was sidelined by a knee injury suffered during 11-on-11 drills and left tackle Jared Gaither was carted off the field with severe back spasms.
    While Gaither didn't do any permanent damage, Whitehurst's injury is cause for enough concern that the Chargers are compiling a list of available veteran quarterbacks. That fact was relayed by a source with knowledge of the situation. The extent of the injury is not yet known, while many downplayed the significance of the injury.
    The most likely choice would be former Chargers backup Bill Volek, who was released in favor of Whitehurst and a monetary savings. Volek is a free agent who would like to continue playing.
    Other than starter Philip Rivers, undrafted rookie Jarrett Lee is the only other quarterback on the roster.
    Reserve tackle Mario Henderson filled in for Gaither after he was carted off. He is likely the first reserve tackle on the right or the left.
    The Chargers spent most of the offseason fleshing out a roster that was woefully thin last season and did not stand up to a rash of injuries at key positions.

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Riiiight - because the Chargers have a monopoly on player injuries.

[​IMG]

13. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,897
    We don't care about other teams' injuries.

What he meant was, injuries we care about only happen to us. And it sucks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    So now you're a mind reader, Leo?

15. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,897
    [​IMG]

16. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +442
    Dombo has a dogdy foot. He goes to IR. Then he has not gone to IR, there is mention of PUP. Now I have no clue what his status is. If a guy is placed on IR he is GONE for the year right?

So is he gone for the year or not? does anybody know definitively?

I'm not seeing him as a big loss don't get me wrong here, just need to know that we are down to Henderson and some scrubs. Like somebody said get big Mc's agent on the phone.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Sorry - I missed the sign. :unsure:

Perhaps moar coffee is in order.

18. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    What's the over/under on the number of weeks English plays this season?

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Who? :rolleyes:

20. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    No joke, he made a play at some point last season(or it could've been 2010) and I thought to myself, "WTF is Carlos Polk doing out there???"

• Funny Funny x 2
  21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    OK, I rated that as funny.

Then again, it really isn't. :cry:

I think the guy does have potential in a rotation as a pass-rusher. Health is the issue & that's a hard one to predict. I don't recall him having durability issues in college, but this was a reach as a 1st rounder. That part is old news. I just want to see production out of the guy or kiss him good-bye like Buster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +442
    I think it's amazing that Buck is up so early posting with an Irishman and a guy in Germany!!!.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I went to bed with the chickens yesterday after a long day of hard labor, hence my early appearance. :D

I like the company too. :tup:

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yep - we have a monopoly on those early TC injuries. :rolleyes: :roflmao:

BETHLEHEM, Pa. -- Brent Celek suffered a mild sprain in his right knee during practice Thursday, the Eagles said.
    The Eagles tight end caught a pass during the early portion of the first full squad practice of training camp, but left soon after. Celek was later seen walking out of the locker room at Lehigh University wearing a wrap around his knee.
    "I'll be good," Celek said. "Promise."
    Celek entered camp completely healthy, according to the team. This offseason, he underwent hip surgery and had a sports hernia repaired. After a slow start last season, Celek finished strong catching 53 passes for 738 yards and five touchdowns in the final 11 games.
    The Eagles flirted with the idea of bringing in another tight end to push backup Clay Harbor. They worked out free agent Visante Shiancoe on Tuesday, but the 32-year-old vet signed with the Patriots later that day. Jeremy Shockey, a free agent the Eagles could have interest in, remained unsigned.
    Harbor, Brett Brackett filled in for Celek with the first team for the rest of practice. Undrafted rookie Chase Ford is the fourth tight end in camp.

25. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    "A full body cramp" damn that sounds painful just reading it.

26. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    What happended to Whitehurst, did he drop the clipboard on his leg or something? I heard those things can be a fair weight.
    As for English well he can just go and f%^" off.

27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610

Celek is a nearly meaningless player in Philly ever since Vick took over, there are a ton of Eagle fans that like to see him cut or traded so they cold do something worth while with the cap space. haha He isn't 1/100th as important to them as Gaither will be to us this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    BFD. You didn't qualify anything, only whined in your usual manner.

Is that what's served with every meal in Portland?

29. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    What happens when a person has a full body cramp?????

30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    What is your malfunction? Why do you pick fights so much? How about you try growing up a little, the adults here welcome civilized conversation.

Obviously every team has injuries, I'm only voicing my frustration that we never seem to avoid the important ones.