1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Dombrowski embraces opportunity

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006
    Dombrowski embraces opportunity

Casey Pearce
    Posted Dec 17, 2009

Chargers offensive tackle Brandyn Dombrowski is making the most of his chance to learn and grow, no matter if or where he’s playing.

When the Chargers signed veteran offensive tackle Jon Runyan[​IMG] last month, Brandyn Dombrowski[​IMG] believed a great opportunity was being given to him, not taken away from him.
    “It was a good move,” Dombrowski said. “(Runyan is) a great player that I’ve already learned from. I’m glad he’s here because it gives me a chance to learn what he’s learned in his career.”
    When starting right tackle Jeromey Clary[​IMG]’s season came to an end due to an ankle injury, the Chargers signed Runyan. The initial thought was that Dombrowski would hold down the position for a couple of games until Runyan, who hadn’t played all season and was unfamiliar with the Chargers’ offense, was ready to go.
    Dombrowski has played so well that the Chargers haven’t had to rush that process. Head Coach Norv Turner said Thursday that Dombrowski will make his fourth-consecutive start Sunday against the Bengals, although Runyan may still enter the lineup at some point the next few weeks.
    “I think (Dombrowski) has played well and it’s given Jon the time to get into game-ready condition,” Turner said. “It’s given Jon time to physically get ready to play and gain an understanding of our system.”
    Turner pointed out that Runyan did play two series in Cleveland two weeks ago and the 14-year veteran is ready to play. In the meantime, Dombrowski is enjoying his time in the starting lineup and focused on nothing more than improving each week.
    “I’m just concentrating on trying to get better,” Dombrowski said. “I’m glad I’ve had an opportunity to step into the game and actually play. It’s week to week. Whatever they need to do, I’m going to go with it. You don’t know what’s going to happen but whatever’s best for the team, we’re going to do that. I’m completely cool with that.”
    Dombrowski says he’s humbled by the way the last few months have played out. The former San Diego State guard was a member of the Chargers’ practice squad in 2008. Entering his second training camp, his goal was to make the 53-man roster this summer and be ready for any opportunity that came his way.
    “You want to get a chance to get on the field but this summer I was just trying to make this team,” Dombrowski said. “I worked hard, studied hard and been really fortunate to get some opportunities.”
    His opportunities have come in some difficult spots. With Marcus McNeill[​IMG] coming off neck surgery, Dombrowski spent most of the offseason working at left tackle. When McNeill came back to health, Dombrowski moved over to right tackle.
    In the regular season opener in Oakland, Dombrowski was called to action at right guard when Louis Vasquez[​IMG] suffered a knee injury. It was a position he hadn’t played since his freshman year at San Diego State. He started two games at right guard and now will make his fourth of the season at right tackle.
    Dombrowski said that the flip flopping has been difficult, but Turner raves about the way the first-year pro has handled his situation.
    “What he’s done would be a challenge for a guy who has been in the league six or seven years,” Turner said. “To ask a guy who is in his first year playing, Brandyn has really responded to that challenge. I can’t say enough about him.”
    For a young man that played his college games at Qualcomm Stadium, getting to play professionally in San Diego has been quite the thrill. He has no idea how long he’ll remain in the starting lineup, and he’s completely okay with that.
    “It’s great to be a Charger,” Dombrowski said. “I’m having a blast. If the time comes where the coaches think the best thing to do is make a move, I’ll step aside. Until then, I’ve got to keep getting better and I’ve got to keep progressing.”
  2. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Nov 21, 2006
    Great article.