1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Dombrowski

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RM24, Sep 20, 2010.

1. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    You have to admit he's doing a great job so far. Heck, I don't even notice that McNeil is NOT here but it's still early. Thoughts?

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    We play with who is on the field.

Big Mac isn't, by his own choice. Says it all to me.

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He is playing very well, Clary is not however, and that has been the issue.

4. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Just wait until Mathews starts heating up, Crayton learns our system better and Buster stays healthy and contributes. This offense is going to be SCARY good if it's not that already.

• Like Like x 1
  5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I think Dumbo has been great, but I think the line would be even better with Dumbo at RT and McNeill at LT. I don't dislike Clary as much as some, but I think Dumbo is proving himself to be a better player.

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I was just thinking about this dude and how I did not think he could hold his own at LT which is harder to play than RT where he did well last year.

So far he has acquitted himself and if he can last the season, he is going to make some noise on the line.

Mooch did well at Center so both the Ski's bros have shown to me at least, they deserve to play. If Dombo goes down the old phrase that Howard Cosell yelled at the Frazier-Ali fight "down goes Frazier", will haunt us. We have no one (ok Tyrone Green all 6 foot of him) after Dombo to protect the blind side ...... we need beef.

7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    And I have been wanting Beef for the last 10 Drafts. We have gone no where because people seem to think you can pick up beef second hand. And we are still in the need for Beef. An yet I bet people will still think that we can just go out and get someone via free agency. Then again Marcus is still out there and we still need him, so much for taking care of our own.

8. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    This is my biggest F'n gripe as well for about as long.

The lines win championships.

Our D-Line is the worst I have seen in over 10 years. The power running teams will bowl them over and then fans will think for an instant that we need help and then they bury their heads getting complacent with winning seasons and no hardware.

Here we go again.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Dombro has been holding his own and that is all the team can ask for. One never knows he could be a pro-bowler in training or just one **** of a good all purpose O-L. I would rather have beef with tudes than guy's lined up waiting to play. Of course I don't might a little kicking, biting and spitting, it's what makes the game exciting.

10. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347

Green may not be tall, but his arms are less than two inches shorter than McNeill's. His time in the exhibition games showed me he has the talent to learn to play the position well. It's possible Clary could sit down, if his learning curve is fast enough. We are thin and we'll have trouble with injuries if they happen, but I don't see Green as as much of liability at this point as you do.

11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I agree, Green looks like he has an abnormal wingspan for his height. He looked like a proper LT to me only he is a few inches short in height. I would imagine he'd be a better run blocker than Marcus too as he is 'closer' to the ground. Dombrowski looks like he loves to run block also.

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    There is a reason 6 foot left tackles do not exist in the NFL. I watched him closely over the pre-season. He is a scrapper but his technique is horrible. He was often off balance. Once he was pancaked or pushed on his as.s. He does not have the bulk and relies on his feet. You need a monster hand punch at LT and I never saw it. The height disadvantage allows defenders to look the QB in the eyes while Green has his nose buried in the defenders numbers. Also balls will be batted down more frequently because the defenders have a clearer line of sight to the QB's passing lanes instead of some 6'7" gorilla blocking the view.

If anything he should be at guard or center and not at the edges.

13. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Nice summary of why you need a behemoth at LT. I agree on the height disadvantage leading to more batted balls. Still I like the look of the guy. Maybe he is Dielman's heir apparent?.

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The tackles have to be redwood trees - sasquatches. 6'6" or better. Those extra inches in reach make the difference pushing a defender on a speed edge rush versus fast feet and minimal hand punches. The dude is a project and he did play his rear off I will give him that much. He is a scapper as I said and fights tooth and nail.

The guards are shorter and the center should be the shortest player. The O-Line looks like a V in height with the center as the shortest guy. This allows the best viewing lanes for the QB and edge protection.

When a tree stump is at tackle, I cringe, cross my fingers and pray.

15. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    The critics on the OL are okay. We don't know what to expect when great teams appear !
    But give them guys some games to evaluate. You needn't to be top to win. They just have to fix mistakes.

16. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I have liked how our Oline has pass protected and Dski has deffinatly made the missing Mac alot less noticable. I am a Hardwick and Clary fan/supporter... I KNO! Almost as bad as being the 1st guy to jump to Nates defense! Ok so I like our Oline past and present, shoot me!! We are wining with it so far. KC was not on the Oline we all already know that.

Im a fan of Clary not only because the coaching staff has been on his ..s bout since he got here, but also fact he is such a underdog for the spot, I mean were talkin bout the RT spot here!! How superstar does he really have to be?? I do like that hes from close to where I live. Kansas or MU are bout only places I care to hear about players who make the NFL. Love Clary for his KU time, I missed Sproles' time.
    I deffinatly am pullin for the Bucs as much as possible cuz Josh Freeman is my BOY out of his draft class. Ever since PR I go for height and arm strength as my favorite in a up and coming QB.

Wont go too far OT and rant on bout my favorite College team the Tigers, but they have alot of stars im still lovin watchin in the NFL. Justin Gage being my favorite for being in the NFL for so long, and being one of the oldest I knew/heard about alot.

Go TIGERS Go Cats!!

17. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Saw this somewhere. Good Read.

Dombrowski fending off defenders, doubters

By Chris Jenkins

Chargers Brandyn Dombrowski walks off the field after a play against the Cowboys in the 1st quarter on Saturday.

Clearly not a man who enjoys repeating himself _ especially when answering the same question disguised umpteen different ways over six weeks’ time _ Norv Turner has tried to hide his annoyance. Indeed, admirably, the Chargers head coach has made every attempt to think of pertinent and polite ways of telling people to get off Brandyn Dombrowski’s back.

Two games into the regular-season, though, Turner’s ready to bring it all down to the bottom line.

“You talk to the position coaches and they get into all this technique stuff, but I kinda evaluate it pretty simply,” said Turner. “His guy doesn’t get close to the quarterback. His guy doesn’t touch the quarterback. That’s what protection is all about to me, and his guy has not gotten close to the quarterback.”

Dombrowski, thrust into the difficult role of filling the crucial left-tackle spot vacated by the holdout of Marcus McNeill, has successfully kept people off Philip Rivers’ back. He made a strong first impression with his preseason play against Julius Peppers and DeMarcus Ware, then held his own through both a rain-soaked loss at Kansas City and a sun-splashed romp over Jacksonville.

Of the latter, Turner said he got the sense early that the Jaguars felt they could exploit Dombrowski’s relative inexperience at the position, but the Chargers dominated on that side with Dombrowski in tandem with Pro Bowl guard Kris Dielman. For his part, Dombrowski came away with a black-and-blue souvenir of the Jags, a slight limp and taped-over leg from a fourth-quarter leg-whipping that forced him out of the game.

“Just a bruise,” said Dombrowski. “Nothing too big.”

Now there’s a quick switch, the wonder whether Dombrowski will be available for the following game. (He’s certain he will.) A year ago, his first season off the practice squad and just two years out of San Diego State, the concern was whether one of the Chargers’ starting blockers would be sidelined or Dombrowski would have to come off the bench as the backup.

He started two games at right guard for injured Louis Vasquez, then seven at right tackle in place of blown-ankled Jeromey Clary, including six straight late-season wins and a playoff game. Never mind that, when it comes to offensive-line play and instinct and technique, Dombrowski’s primarily left-handed and left-footed.

“The one position last year that worried me was right tackle,” said Dombrowski. “I was like, man, I hope I don’t have to go in there. But when I did, I’m glad I did it. Hal (Hunter, the offensive line coach) had to teach me everything from scratch. Right to left, the technique is so completely different. It took us a while, but we got it.”

Perhaps the fact that Dombrowski was needed to bounce around so many different spots _ along with his undrafted status out of SDSU _ gave the impression that he was destined to be a sort of career reserve and utility player. Among his fellow linemen, though, he’d earned his chops.

“He’s physical, physical from the instant he gets in there, and that’s how you wipe out that period of transition,” said center Nick Hardwick. “When you know the guy next to you has got your back, is going to protect you, keep guys off you when you’re not looking, that’s definitely how you get respect.”

As the discoloration of his shin will attest, it’s a nasty world in the trenches. If you went solely on Dombrowski’s demeanor in street clothes _ even at his full size of 6-foot-5, not counting the Padres cap atop his head, and 323 pounds _ you’d mistakenly think him a bit too kind and gentle for the job. Certainly, when anywhere in the vicinity of Dielman, he’s doesn’t have the most menacing persona in the locker room.

“I’m a pretty mellow guy,” said Dombrowski, who maintained his ever-friendly disposition even as critics repeatedly pointed to him as a possible weak line in the offense. “It was different in college. I played way more aggressive in college, wanted to kill everybody. But as a pro,I’ve learned that you have to also have patience and poise. You have to know when to unleash the aggression.

“In college, you don’t have to worry about the cost about going too far at the wrong time. You don’t have to worry about fines. Now if I do something, I can be fined $5,000, so I have to be a little bit more cautious. I’m not making the big bucks.”

Hardwick’s seen it, the “the fight, the spirit” in Dombrowski when it’s game on or even practice time. It really comes out when Rivers calls a running play, which plays to Dombrowski’s size and strengths and always appeals to the bulldozer mentality of most offensive lineman. Run-blocking is Dombrowski’s forte, which makes the timing of all this fortuitous, considering how much the Chargers want to develop a ground game to match their passing prowess.

“I love it when we do the tackle-pulling, getting out in front and taking the little guys out,” he said. “I guess I just like getting out in the open space.”

18. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I played with a guy of similar stature. He had a huge leverage advantage. Green is still basically a rookie. Plenty of "redwoods" don't make their mark, others take some time to mature. I spent time in the ring with guys who had both height and reach advantages and hurt 'em pretty good. The problems you describe with Green are technique. I don't see how an LT's lack of height increases a DE's vertical reach at thrown balls. As soon as someone goes to block the pass, he looses leverage and balance. Reaction time and technique count more than just height. If Green fails to cut it, it'll be because he's not enough of an athlete or fails to get as strong as he needs to be. His major ally will be footwork and quickness. I don't know how Green will pan out, but his height is not my main worry. The main reason you don't see shorter tackles is that they generally have shorter arms than Green does. Green will have an advantage if he meets a guy underneath and inside-he will make it if he learns to do that. One thing I just thought of. Green just might be able to get away with techniques that would draw a holding call from a taller guy.