1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Don Banks Has Stewart Falling to #27

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Gridreaper, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/04/17/mock.draft6.one/index.html?eref=T1

...Should A.J. grab him if he fell that far? We really need only back-ups at a few positions. It would seem hard to pass on a quality back with speed, power and receiving skills, picking this late in round #1. Eventually he could step into L.T.'s shoes while providing depth and the power runner we also need in the meantime. I've read all the other scenarios, including trading out of #1 for more picks but this would be a tough decision for me.

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    <object width="408" height="347"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://static.si.com/pvs2/lib/swf/eplayer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="408" height="347" allowfullscreen="true" FlashVars="acfg=http://static.si.com/nfldraft08/xml/app_player.xml&scfg=http://static.si.com/nfldraft08/xml/nfldraft08-system.xml&c=Player&p=215790&s=3029776&i=224231"></embed></object>

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    teams at that point will be begging for AJ to take advantage of them and I imagine Aj will be very willing ;)

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    You can bet if that scenario happens AJ will drive a hard bargain. I don't know offhand what the trade value looks like, but a high 2nd & mid-3rd would sound pretty good. :icon_shrug:

5. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    in AJ I trust:yes:

6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    gad, just thought of this. The chargers hung onto turner last year when they could have gotten some really good draft picks out of trading him. So the moral of the story here is the chargers really value having a really good backup running back. Now that all we have is sproles and the other rb that was hurt all last year one has to think this has to be a priority.

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I'm starting to like the trade down idea more and more as the draft approaches.

I think the players this year are pretty meh overall.

8. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I think your right. The late 1st , 2nd and 3rd rounders are pretty close to the same caliber. Just depends who's there at pick #27 and if some team will give us some good compensation for trading down. I'm a hoping.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...I think that if someone special like Stewart is available, A.J. just might pull the trigger. Norv's offensive style relies on power running in a zone blocking scheme to go along with a vertical passing attack. He understands the Gillman/Coryell game plan and is one of the true practitioners in the "REAL" west coast offense. Just give him the weapons and turn them loose. Stewart or another powerful one cut runner would fit perfectly in this offense.
    I'm excited about the prospect of what Norv has in mind to mess with opposing defenses. He was just starting to tinker with his new toys and it showed in the second half against the Titans and the Indy game. There were some really nice, big plays and some of them were just screens!

10. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Here it is: If Cherilus is available, get him. If both are available, get Cherilus. If Cherilus is gone and Stewart is there, pick Stewart. UNLESS, a team is willing to give up a 2nd and a 3rd this year for Stewart. Either way, we will still be in the drivers seat. Being the most talented team in the league enables you to do that.

In A.J. I DO Trust! :yes:

11. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200

Personally I'd really like to see the chargers land a quality o-tackle and d-lineman this draft. And then land a good backup running back. To solidify the lines finally this year would open the door big time next year to being really selective on landing good players since we'll have so many draft picks next year. There is the good possibilty that the chargers could land a really good o-lineman and running back in this draft since this draft has a good selection of them.

12. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    The only reason I would think of drafting Stewart if this turns into a Faulk/ Steven Jackson or Priest/ LJ type situation with LT. In other words, Stewart better be a top 5 RB in the league AND be willing to wait at least 2 years (more if LT lasts well into his 30s)to be a starter. The good thing about Faulk, LT, and Priest, is that they were all superb receivers, who could play a lot of time there if needed, while the bigger SJax, LJ, and (presumably) Stewart line up in the backfield. The Burner was so ahead of his time, this would've bbeen his ideal situation if the timing was better.

Either way, a OT would help out more not just with the line protecting Rivers, making him better, but helping LT run better too. Lineman help more facets of the offense than a Rb does in my opinion.

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Right now, I think the most value for the team is to shore up the right side of our OL. We need to be able to run better to that side. An athletic guard or tackle would really help with that. PR needs the confidence that his pocket will remain strong. He's never gonna be Mr. Mobility, so protecting him is priority #1.