1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Donald Brown an option

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Kevin Acee
    March 31, 2009

I know there has been much consternation over the thought the Chargers will draft a running back in the first round.

But they're considering it. Face it. They might not have an immediate "need" at the position, but they will soon. And they like the quality available on the first day of this draft.

I have said in my first two mock drafts that the Chargers will take Chris "Beanie" Wells from Ohio State. I think that's the guy. General Manager A.J. Smith was at his Pro Day, and Wells is visiting San Diego next week.

But there is plenty of reason to doubt the Chargers will ultimately choose Wells with the 16th pick.

First, Wells might be gone. Teams in front of the Chargers reportedly are mulling their running back needs. Wells, for instance, has visits and/or workouts scheduled with Seattle (fourth pick), Cleveland (fifth), Cincinnati (sixth) and Denver (12th).

Also, I believe very strongly that Smith is going to work his way back into the second round. And there is a faction in the Chargers' front office that believes Connecticut's Donald Brown is the best value for the Chargers. A projected second-round pick, Brown is in San Diego now, a week after Smith attended his Pro Day.

And there is also Georgia's Knowshon Moreno, who was in San Diego on Monday.

• Like Like x 1
  2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Way to break the news, Acee. :icon_sleep:

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    He might go pretty high and I don't want AJ to give another three-five picks to get him in the second

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Moreno > Wells

Fuk Acee.

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Unless it's more subterfuge and pysops.

6. clontarf_bolt

clontarf_bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +40
    I'd like to see Brown in a bolts uni, depends on what it would cost to get him tho!

7. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I don't want to see us go near a RB in the first 2 rounds (if we can acquire a pick in round 2).

I want to see O or D line if there is some value at either position at pick #16. If not trade ur *** DOWN AJ.

:tup:

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    No ****, Kevin. This is a real shocker. :lol:

The 3rd round will be plenty early to look at a RB. We have bigger fish to fry right now.

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    AJ personally attending Wells' workout says a lot to me, it means he is serious about finding out if this kid is he real deal. I think Wells can help us now as a finisher pounding the rock into the endzone, where as Moreno is just a slower less explosive version of LT.

And for those of you worried about his 4.59 40 time at the combine, that is perfectly acceptable for a RB his size and style, he is more Michael Turner than LT. Besides that, everyone ran slower at the combine this year for some reason, he's probably more around the 4.51 range.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    AJ is continuing to blow smoke in order to get someone antsy enough about Wells to trade up & give us at least a second back.

If we take Wells at 16 I'll kiss Rip's ***. :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I don't even want to look in the third, use that to hit what we missed in the first round (NT/DE/OT) - I wanna grab Vance Walker to be a proper DE in our 3-4 or maybe Fenuki Tupou to be our RT. We've got three fourth rounders, use one of them on a running back!

12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Hey Kevin, did you hear we resigned LT? :lol:

13. fan4ever

fan4ever BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    We're RB rich and it's just silly talk to stir things up. OL, DL, INLB, SS any where else is crazy.

14. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    I go with those, who said our need is elsewhere than RB.

15. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    AJ attended the Ohio State Pro Day, so he might have gone there to look at Wells or he might have gone there to look at another player. People read way too much into this ****. Nobody shows their hand this time of year.

16. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

That would be like spending a third round pick on a QB when we have commited to Rivers as our starting QB. And then after that trading for a veteren to back up Rivers.

Oh ****.......:icon_eek:

17. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I've stated my opinion already, i'm not wowed by Wells or Moreno. In terms of size, speed, agility, vision, and productivity I'm still convinced LeSean McCoy and (with a little more homework) Donald Brown draw almost scary parrallels to a 21yr old Tomlinson.

Donald Brown is not just a workout warrior, the guy had 2000yds and 20TD's this last year in college and his speed and determination jump off the screen.

18. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    James Laurenitis is a solid second rounder, and the Chargers don't have a 2nd round pick, I can't think of any other Ohio State player he'd be considering.