1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Donnie Edwards - Back Where He Started

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.nflplayers.com/news/news_release.aspx?id=7084

Donnie Edwards - Back Where He Started

David J. Salati
    NFLPLAYERS.COM
    08/07/2007

Given how short the average NFL career is, not many players get the chance to play for the same team twice. When the rare opportunity presented itself to Donnie Edwards during the 2007 free agency period, he couldn't pass it up.

Edwards could not be more thrilled to rejoin the Kansas City Chiefs, the team that drafted him 98th overall in 1996. Having returned to the Chiefs, he felt like he never left despite playing the past five seasons for his hometown San Diego Chargers.

"I'm really excited to be back in Kansas City because it's really familiar for me," the 34-year-old veteran said. "The first day I walked in during the offseason program I knew where everything was. I have the same locker as I had before and I knew how to get around. Although the team has changed from five years ago when I was here, the infrastructure and everything else pretty much stayed the same."

Adding to the familiarity is Chiefs defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham, who Edwards knows well since he was the team's previous defensive coordinator from 1995 through 1998 and head coach from 1999 through 2000. Familiarity aside, the starting right outside linebacker is quick to point out what he missed most about playing in Kansas City.

"I missed the intensity of the city," he said. "Kansas City is really different because I'm born and raised in California. The fans are diehard fans in Kansas City. They eat, drink and sleep that Chief Red. Kansas City football is almost like a college atmosphere on gamedays. You'll be walking through the stadium and there is a sea of red. All the fans are so excited that they start getting ready for the game on Friday."

As passionate as No. 59 is to be playing for Kansas City again, he doesn't hide the fact that he's still going to miss playing in his hometown and for his home team.

"I'm going to miss the guys because I became friends with so many of them in seeing them grow up and start to have success," the Chula Vista, Calif. native said. "Being born and raised in San Diego and having the opportunity to play in my hometown was pretty nice. I'll definitely miss the city."

While it's yet to be determined whether the 2007 defense is better than some of the previous ones Edwards was a part of during his first stint in Kansas City, he does acknowledge that he's joining a talented defensive unit.

One thing for certain is that the Chiefs linebacking corps consisting of Edwards, Derrick Johnson and Napoleon Harris, will have a big void to fill following the departure of Kawika Mitchell, their leading tackler a season ago who is now a New York Giant. But the UCLA alum welcomes the challenge with optimism.

"We expect a lot of great things from Napoleon, a six-year veteran, who's coming in to play the middle (linebacker position) to replace Kawika," Edwards said. "Derrick Johnson is a speedy linebacker out of Texas, who's still young and learning how to play this game. So, he's another force to be reckoned with. And just adding myself, I think we are going to make a lot of plays for our defense. I'm definitely going to lead them all (laughing), but I have a little competition."

The fans are diehard fans in Kansas City. They eat, drink and sleep that Chief Red.
    -- Donnie Edwards Edwards feels that he can preach some valuable words of wisdom to some of the younger guys around him like Johnson just as the late Derrick Thomas did to him during his initial four NFL seasons.

"I have met some of these guys who are 20, 21 or even 25 years old that say, 'Man you look great. You don't look your age. How do you do it?' I tell them I just work," Edwards explained. "All of us are very talented to play in this great league of ours, but one way to stay in is by working. There are some guys that get in by talent alone, but if you want to remain in this league you have to work.

"And I say you have to be a professional—just work and be a pro and you will play this game for a long time because teams are drafting new guys each year to replace you. So, that means you have to work harder."

Concluding a solid NFL career that has included 1,016 tackles in 160 starts is something Edwards wants to do as a member of the Red and Gold.

"I started 12 years ago in 1996 by getting drafted in Kansas City and hopefully when that time comes when I decide to retire, hopefully it will also be in Kansas City. It would be a nice little finish to my career."

Holding a Masters degree in education, Edwards envisions himself doing something in the business field once he retires.

"I don't know what aspect of business, but I want to do something that continues to get me excited and have that intensity that I'm going to miss not playing football," he said. "I'd like to be a general manager or president like (the Chiefs') Carl Peterson or Denny Thum."

Right now, retirement and a career after football are the last things on his mind as he continues to work hard and take extra care of his body each season.

"I'm having a great time," Edwards exclaimed. "I know it's my 12th year, but I've been healthy over the last 10 or 11 years. I've missed only one game as a starter. As long as my body feels good and I have motivation for the game, I plan on playing for a while."

...... Click on the linky thing to see the graphics and pictures and the rest of the crap on the sides

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    What the **** is that ankle biter saying about us? The knocked back sunofabeep?

3. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    After that I'm ready to watch Lorenzo Neil school him twice this year.

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Man Manu. I want Lo and Manu to pancake the pansy sunsabeeep!

5. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Thankfully both gamedays will provide Donny with a wonderful opportunity to catch up on his cloud watching. Punk.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    "I missed the intensity of the city," he said. "Kansas City is really different because I'm born and raised in California. The fans are diehard fans in Kansas City. They eat, drink and sleep that Chief Red. Kansas City football is almost like a college atmosphere on gamedays. You'll be walking through the stadium and there is a sea of red. All the fans are so excited that they start getting ready for the game on Friday."

Thank you for pissing off the few Charger fans that still loved you. Congratulations, your a dead man

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    This year, every single Charger fan will finally see what some of us have know for some time: There's a very real reason why Donnie doesn't get invited to the Pro Bowl every year. He sucks.

Cannot wait until he get his whiny *** blown the F up by anyone on the team.

8. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    What a dick. I was a supporter of his for some time, but thankfully the wisdom of this board educated my sorry ***. Screw Donnie but I would like some KC BBQ right about now...

9. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Donnie's back where he started? You mean seven yards past the line of scrimmage nipping at a running back's ankles? :icon_tease:

10. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    My money's on Lo Neal. But Donnie is too much of a lightweight for him. Lo might give the job to LT.

11. Rule12b

Rule12b Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116
    Oh lighten up on Donnie folks. And by the way, KC is nuts compared to SD when it comes to football. The whole city goes redder than a used maxi by Friday and it stays that way until the game ends Sunday. It's freakish. So Donnie is really just stating the obvious, giving his team some PR, and doing his best to feel good about where he is.

Disrespecting SD? Come on people, he said he misses playing here. Whaddya want?!? He gave a lot to this franchise.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    :icon_rofl: - damn. :icon_eek: :flag:

If Donnie would have just knocked the **** out of people but noooooo. :icon_evil:

13. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    "Back where he started"

How apropos, since we could often say that about his tackling.

Starts 5 yards off the LoS, runs forward, grabs the ankle, and gets dragged back to where he was at the beginning of the play.

14. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    34 years old? This is the year he will get injured.

15. Rule12b

Rule12b Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116
    Nice karma:unsure:

16. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I just can't wait to see what he does when he goes nose to nose with LoNeal, Manu and the O Line. Those five yard gimme's are going to come in handy.

17. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    He won't go "nose to nose" with either. When you see Donnie Edwards "tied up" with another player he is taking a break. Otherwise he is trying to use speed (which contiues to be at question as he gets older) to slip around tackles to get in on the play. As he has aged, Donnie has become much more crafty about avoiding punishment. About the only time you see him take any kind of hit is by the ball carrier himself, and even then he is usually falling backwards or already sliding down the player's body to tie up his ankles.

Predictably, the results will be the same - he will find a way to be "in on a lot of tackles", most between 5 and 8 yards down the field from the line of scrimmage. Despite another player making the first actual hit - Edwards will continue to be credited with the actual tackle more often than not. When he comes into a play and rolls - hitting the players already down with his back, he still gets credited with an "assist" - go figure.

18. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494

19. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    I saw the ankle biter on "hard Knocks" last night (DVR'd it). Great show by the way, I'm glad it's finally back. Would be nice to see the bolts on it sometime.

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    We were partying with an NFL statistician at one of the tailgaters last year. He was a new guy who just showed up out of the blue.

We discussed this very same issue where Edwards would get a tackle assist just by being in the vicinity and I told him it was bullshiit. The dude agreed.

These guys (NFL stat dudes) are graded as well. He said they get calls from the Chargers (Ed McGuire) when they get **** wrong because it can affect a performance bonus of a player. It makes sense what he said and gave me some insight on how the back room machinations happen. It was a very interesting conversation.

21. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Oh and calling Donnie Edwards a pusssy got me banned from the UT boards so becareful or not (like me) :lol: :abq2:

22. o-line protagonist

o-line protagonist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    I guess for me this whole thing breaks down very simply. I thought Donnie helped this team when he played for us. However, he was indeed weaker in his run-game defense.

I look forward to seeing 68 and 79 pulling on the power 40 and 50 this year against the Chef's. We will see if he has made any adjustments. I doubt even if he has that it will help.

23. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Lemme check Thumper and Conc's reaction:

DONNIE EDWARDS IS A POOOOZZZZEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!