1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Donnie Edwards is LICKING HIS CHOPS

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/09/27/sports/professional/chargers/0_05_029_27_07.txt

Area native excited about return to Qualcomm

By: JAY PARIS - Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO -- Good thing Donnie Edwards wasn't around Sunday in Green Bay. Yep, would've hated for the ex-Chargers linebacker to deliver one of his downfield tackles when the Packers' Greg Jennings raced 57 yards for the game-winning touchdown.

Remember Edwards? It was reported he wasn't worth bringing back, in part, because his tackles were off the line of scrimmage.

It's believed that notion started with Chargers general manager A.J. Smith. :icon_eek:

Former Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer scoffed at it, once interrupting a press conference to mention how silly that scenario sounded.

Smith? He declined to return a Wednesday call regarding the return of Edwards, who visits Qualcomm Stadium on Sunday with his Kansas City Chiefs.

"I don't want to get into any of that,'' said Edwards by phone from Kansas City. "I've moved on; that's in the past. But I think my play spoke for itself.''

Loud and clear.

Edwards played five seasons with the Chargers, leading the team in tackles each year. He never missed a game; his replacement, Matt Wilhelm, has already skipped the majority of two.

In addition, Edwards was also a mentor to at-risk kids in the community, helping them with everything from game tickets to eating right.

"He was a big part of a lot of the success we had the last couple of years,'' Philip Rivers said. "And I know firsthand just by going against him in training camp that he does a great job in the passing game. He will certainly be a guy we have to be aware of.''

Edwards is cognizant of Sunday's game, as it's circled in his mind with a big red marker.

Running out the Qualcomm Stadium tunnel brings with it warm memories.

"Those were great times,'' said Edwards, who kept his Rancho Santa Fe home. "I enjoyed myself playing for the team I grew up watching during the '80s and Air Coryell. To have the chance to wear the Chargers uniform, to be with a great head coach (Schottenheimer) who turned that whole thing around. I was glad Marty brought me to San Diego; he changed that place into a winning organization.''

Edwards' stay didn't come without regrets -- namely, that the Chula Vista native couldn't convince Smith there was room for a veteran inside linebacker on a team predicted to make the playoffs, and that a Super Bowl visit eluded him.

"I wish we would have had a shot to be the world champions,'' said Edwards, a 12-year pro. "That would have been icing on the cake. We got close and failed to get there.''

Edwards' being here in 2007 was never on Smith's blueprint. He tired of Edwards asking for a contract extension and tried to trade him. What surprised Edwards was that Schottenheimer was also kicked to the curb.

With the last-place Chargers (1-2) trying to right their ship, Schottenheimer is in North Carolina lowering his golf handicap and increasing his time with his grandchildren.

"He deserves it,'' said Edwards, who spoke with Schottenheimer on his 64th birthday Sunday. "He did a wonderful job there. Every place Marty went he has turned it around. Look what he did in his five years in San Diego. And has their ever been a coach who got fired after going 14-2?''

Ah, no. Just like it's rare for a team's leading tackler for five straight years to have the door slammed in his face.

"I've moved on,'' stressed Edwards, who has 21 tackles, a sack, interception and fumble recovery.

But he hasn't distanced himself from all that is the Chargers.

"I stay in contact with some of the players,'' he said. "A lot of them are good friends of mine. Just because I play with a different team doesn't mean I can't talk to them.''

Chiefs coach Herm Edwards loves yapping about Edwards. He senses his linebacker is particularly revved about Sunday.

"We're trying to keep him contained so he doesn't leave all his energy in warm-ups,'' Herm Edwards said. "He is excited about coming back. He's a leader and (our) guys look up to him because of what he's accomplished. He wasn't a high-round pick (fourth) and he is really underrated in my opinion.''

Donnie Edwards' view of Smith stays with him. But it's obvious he'd cherish a win Sunday, with maybe an interception or two.

"I'm looking forward to coming back home,'' he said. "Every time I look back on those five years, I do nothing but smile.''

It's a grin which would only grow if he increased Smith's ever-present frown.

"I'm done talking about him,'' Edwards said. "But I'll play with emotion and I let it all out -- that's the way I play. Nothing has changed.''

Just the uniform................

click on link for Injury report

2. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Is "chops" a slang term for testicles?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    And to think all you horrible fans who ran off our beloved Donnie are about to be schooled. :lol: :icon_eek: :abq2:

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    We don't know if dropping Edwards was a good idea because his replacement was injured. Once we see Wilhelm out there then we can better see.

5. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I expressed concern that Wilhelm would be able to approach Donnie's level in terms of durability. And it was dismissed as a lame take.

:no:

6. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I do not know about your eyes but my eyes have seen the glory and the inhumanity of it all. :yes:

7. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Donnie Edwards sucks.

:abq1: :abq2: :abq1:

8. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    He can lick whatever he wants... he'll still be eating turf on Sunday. :yes:

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I'm not prevalent to your visions from the Gawd, any visions I get violate my right to privacy and the 4th amendment :lol:

10. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The stage is set. Donnie gets 4 picks and the Chiefs win in a nailbiter. :icon_eek: :icon_twisted:

Fuc. :tdown:

If the above happens the only Chargers fan alive that will be happy is leisure. :icon_rofl:

11. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    A.J., and his slighlty bent halo, have shown they have the stones to move up the draft and give up his coveted draft picks in getting Weedme at SS (that shocked me he actually gave up draft picks).

The same logic holds true for next year and does not need failure as a conduit to get prime fatasses. :yes:

You knew who I was and if you want to crown my ***, then crown my *** - report me. :icon_twisted:

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If it does not happen, the "I told you so" and all the posters who started the hate Donnie Edwards campaign will look mighty silly and leisure will at the top of the heap laughing. :icon_eek:

Mama mia we need a win in the worst way possible. :yes: :football: :icon_beer: :bolt2:

13. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    you will be happy if Mike williams scores a touch down on us:yes:

14. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Run right at the scum sucker. Imagine Donnie trying to tackle Michael Turner one on one:icon_rofl:

15. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    :no:

We haven't had a single reported post today.

:abq2: :abq1: :abq2:

Don't jinx it, it's like taking a no-no into the 7th inning. :icon_eek:

• Like Like x 1
  16. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I thought maybe it was slang for labia muscles. :lol:

17. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Donnie's gonna be lickin' LoNeal's undercarriage. :tounge:

*report that* [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Reported!! :icon_evil:

19. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I just checked BMW's stats. 2 receptions in 2 games.

And 1 fumble lost.

:icon_rofl:

20. Monkeybacon

Monkeybacon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    At least we know there won't be 8 in the box. Donnie hates Box.:icon_toast:

21. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    I love carne asada tacos.

22. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I remember listening to a bunch of Raider fans on XX this offseason going on and on about how he will revive his carrer and become the reciever everyone thought he was.:icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

23. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    You will respect mah authoritah

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RETlQ7hOopY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RETlQ7hOopY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

24. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Hey arent you Trumpies little friend? The one that plugs up the toilets?

25. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    :icon_rofl: Great episode!

Now if I can just find ManBearPig..........

26. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Me too..have them 3-4 times a week for lunch.

27. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    I have it in iTunes. :yes: