1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Donnie's Sig Officially Gone

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Alpenbolt, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Time to officially say goodbye to the Donnie Edwards signature. I took a lot crap for taking it on but he served me well and did me proud last season. You won't have the ankle biter to push around anymore.

But frankly it is time for some new young blood to come in and start dropping people hard at the line of scrimmage. Dobbins will be a force this year. He is mean and nasty and he better get serious playing time. I want to know if that Seattle preseason game was a fluke or this dude really has the goods.

God help us covering tight ends on deep routes in the seam this year but we will manage.

• Like Like x 1
  2. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    We have to thank DONNIE a lot. But times go by and maybe he
    finds another team to help for some years. He allways will be
    remembered as a Charger.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    You guys make very good points. I still think that our play at ILB will suffer a bit this season, but we will have a solid defense regardless.

Donnie was a great Charger and I am proud to have been able to watch him play for my favorite NFL team.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Donnie Edwards is a pusssy. :bolt2:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Donnie played well for us. Made some good tackles, was part of a great defense. Thanks for that.

Lets see what the person filling his role can do.

6. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    That person has a name, Matt Wilhelm. Show a little respect for the guy who is going to dramatically upgrade the postion for us. :icon_evil:

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    That POSITION is not yet filled. There is a draft, there is mini camps, there is training camp, there is preseason.

Game one, if Matt is there then that PERSON will have a name. Until such a time it is a position. So deal lil lady.

8. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    That's why AJ signed Wilhelm to an extension at starter wages. :lol:

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    So you are saying if AJ gets soemone he sees as better that he will still play Wilhelm, just because he signed him to a 'starters contract'.

Man your stuff has gotten weak. Go back to the Urin Tribune until you can be called back to the big leagues...

10. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Once again you are looking at everything backwards. :icon_rofl:

Sure if we draft someone or sign someone or Dobbins outplays him than Wilhelm won't start.

Then again that's true for just about every player on the team.

AJ seemed very confortable putting Edwards on the trading block before last season and kept him there until the trading deadline. Do you think that was because he knew he could sign or draft someone after the season was over?

I think it was becasue he thought the guy behind him wouldn't be a liability in moving into the starters role. Add the fact the Wilhelm and Cooper have seen increased playing time over the past two seasons and both were locked up long term, lends one to believe that they were being groomed as replacements.

If memory serves, at his offseason press conference, AJ stated safety, WR, and "always offensive line" were his offseason priorities. Odd that he didn't mention ILB. I would even wager that going into the draft the we select and OLB before we go ILB.

Anyone with more than three firing synapses can tell that Donnie was shown the door because Wilhelm is ready to start.

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I am looking at things backwards? Your the one indicating that the POSITION is filled and beyond improvement. You are the one who thinks you know everything AJ is thinking? I am looking at things backwards? If my menory has served right we havenet even had the first mini camp.

Perhaps you have a crystal ball, but I think you should tune into something other than the Flintstones every now and again.

So do you really believe that AJ will spend ALL draft picks on only WR and OL? That is simply retarded and even beneath you.

12. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Matt is a good player, an upgrade in many areas of Donnie. I doubt we can find someone in the draft, especially with a 3rd round pick or later, to be better than Matt.

Its probably 80% likely unless something happens to Matt that he will start.

13. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    :icon_rofl:

Is that the best you can do?

What do you think the odds are, barring injury, that someone other than Wilhelm starts against the Bears on opening game.

I guess there's always the chance the Dobbins does, but only if Norv properly motivates him. Something you have already concluded is highly unlikely. :abq1: :abq2: :abq1:

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I think our run D will be much better than when Donnie played for us. It was painful to watch an eight yard run play straight at Donnie for another first down, but he was pretty good in the pass defense. I also wonder why he waited to show up and play his best game as a Bolt against the Pats. :bolt2:

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Again, your hedging your bets. Barring injurry? Why not say barring rogue cops blowing his legs off? Go ahead cover every possible change.

I am saying change is poissible if not probable. If AJ drafts a better LB do you think Wilelm will start? I mean come on, you want to play the bullshit game of saying I am not respecting Wilhelm.

I am not doing that. I am saying there are way too many issues that could happen. You are assuming you know what AJ is thinking. Keep that up, you will just look like a fool again.

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Quite possibly. I am not questioning Matt, I am just saying until the first game is played nothing is written in stone.

17. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886

I think the only reason Wilhelm didn't play is because of Marty, Donnie was marty's boy and no way was he going to make Donnie sit during a contract year. IMO.:bolt2:

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    You know that is a crock of ****. You and other like to say Donnie had only one good game. That all his tackles were made after gains.

Merriman made tackles after gains, shall we start to crap on him?

Go look at some of the games from last season again. Donnie played well for us. I am not saying he should have stayed, because he shouldnt have. Donnie soured the waters himslelf. But he played well for us. Anyone who says other wise is a ball watching moron and a liar.

19. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886

isn't that what your supposed to do? follow the ball, Donnie was very good at following a play. :icon_rofl: :icon_tease: :icon_toast:

20. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Except for when it comes to Norv as a coach. :icon_rofl:

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Lets see more of those great excuses.

Oh another thing written in stone moron:
    LT will be great
    Merriman will dominate
    etc....

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    that is it? Is that your assessment of all of his plays? His interceptions was him just following the playes? His stopping playes behind the LOS was him just following plays?

Here we have another mypoic ball wathcer spewing the group think line.

Let me know when you have an original thought we can discuss.

23. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886

:icon_tease: :icon_rofl: :icon_toast:

24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    :icon_tease: :helm1:

25. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    :icon_rofl:

26. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    All this debate makes wonder if I'm suffering from old timers disease and maybe there were two guys named Donnie Edwards being shutttled in and out of the locker room with the same number. Are you guys talking about the same dude? I am really, really interested in seeing how Tim Dobbins performs in camp and the exhibition(screw this "preseason" claptrap) games. He hasn't been around for enough plays to determine if what I saw was a fluke or just fatigued opponents, but he reminds me of Mike Singletary. I have a suspicion that Dobbins could do for the middle was Merriman and Phillips do for the outside. The rap on him before the draft was that he was quick to the ball, but made tackles down field fairly often. I saw no eveidence of that as a pro. This debate will be resolved on the field. About the only position that can be predicted with a fair degree of accuracy is Running Back or Fullback. Guys who are dominant appearing enough to be predictable successes at other positions are usually gone before 20 players have been picked. Who is it this year? Calving Johnson and Reggie Campbell, maybe Greg Olson or Jamaal Anderson and may Polsuszny. I look forward to camp-especially if Norval gives the assistants more leeway with the press. :icon_shrug: :icon_beer: :drama:

27. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Thanks Donnie. But now I'm going to enjoy watching Gates dominate you.

28. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Wilhelm should be the starter. He is a good player and has done well in pass coverage. He has two picks in his limited time playing. Im not worried. Marty said he was the smartest guy on the defense. I also think he will bring more to the run defense than Donnie did.

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I am not worried either. I am just not sayin that he is locked in until we see what happens in TC, the draft and preseason...

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    :icon_rofl: It soo true!