1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Don't let the door hit you in the a..

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by 50YardLineClub36, Jan 2, 2012.

1. 50YardLineClub36

50YardLineClub36 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I agree with all of you that think AJ and Norv needs to go. When your GM squanders talent like Jackson, McNiell, Sproles, Turner, Brees, Robinson (I'm sure I'm missing several) and has not brought in the talent necessary to compensate for them then it should be time to let it go. Come on Dean, you need a personality that will get the media talking about the Chargers and get the fan base excited about the team's furture not a recluse that refuses to talk to the players or the media. Fans want to hear about their team and the star players on it. That is not going to happen with AJ. Yes he does manage the bottom line so the Chargers can keep you and your brothers living high off of the Charger payroll but you can actually have it both ways. The more the Chargers are in the public eye the more money your family will make. Dump this guy for someone with a personality.​

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +449
    Have some balls Dean

Fire AJ.....Fire Norv! It's long overdue!

3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I could care less if our coaching staff and management have bubbly or people friendly personalities. I want them to be highly competent and capable of doing their jobs to the utmost of their capabilities. Success sells better over the long-term than bells and whistles. Some of the most successful HC's in the history of the league were far from personable (Landry, Lombardi, Belichick, Vermeil, Walsh, Siefert, Shula, Parcells... going more recent Tomlin, Payton, McCarthy, Smith).

• Like Like x 5
  4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    But Norv is a really really nice guy......:(

5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Well... that's also kind of my point. People keep saying they want Gruden because "he's a player's coach"... by all indications of what we're hearing from our locker room, Norv is a "player's coach" he's just got the personality of a tree stump outside of the locker room. Rexy is a "player's coach" and his team buckled under pressure this year down the stretch. "Players' coaches" to be honest are overrated as hell, or at least "players' coaches" as HC. You can have plenty of likable coaches on your staff in the coordinator spots, as the positional coaches, and you'll still likely achieve the same "morale" boost that you would have from the HC having that type of personality.

However, if you head coach is a crap strategist and has crap organizational skills then it really doesn't matter how much of a rah rah guy he is - the players will still knock themselves unconscious running into a brick wall for him when more appropriate strategy might have otherwise suggested you find some other way to get around the wall rather than beating your head against it and hoping it eventually falls down.

6. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Norv is the ultimate sand trap, he does just good enough to question wether he should be fired, and he's nice enough to convince people that he shouldn't be. Then you add the Southern California laid back attitude about sports and some dilusional owners.........you can forget ever winning a Super Bowl, we'll be an 8-8/9-7 team for life.

And to think a lot of assholes on this board were ripping me for arguing that it'd be BETTER TO LOSE those last few games. Denver, Oakland, and KC fans are rejoicing right now because beating Oakland may have been the only thing we could have done to futher set fire to the Philip Rivers era and slam the window shut on our own Super Bowl hopes.

7. 50YardLineClub36

Ratings:
    +2
    Every week I listen to Tomlin, McCarthy, Smith and Payton on the NFL channel on satellite radio. Did you miss the Billichick documentary on HBO? And all of the others you listed got decent press time in there day. I've NEVER heard Norv or AJ on satelite radio. Norv is occasionaly on local radio. AJ is invisible.

8. ViennaLager

ViennaLager FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers

Ratings:
    +61

Robinson?

9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    He's referring to Laurent Robinson... and that wasn't AJ's call that was Norv's (to keep Bryan Walters over Laurent Robinson - who went on to find success as a slot receiver for the Cowboys when in all fairness he wouldn't have gotten a fair shake of looks at even that spot on our game day rosters - and was far from PS eligible if waived - unless at least 3 of Jackson, Floyd, Crayton, and Brown were injured all at one time.

10. ViennaLager

ViennaLager FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers

Ratings:
    +61

Laurent Robinson??? Are you kidding me? He wasn't even on any of our final squads. To be a fan from 1964 and to argue for Laurent Robinson??? He found success as a Cowboy? How's there playoff's looking?

11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Laurent Robinson showed us loads in the last pre-season game if I recall.. Imho there is no doubt he looked a better prospect than Walters. Walters returned a punt for a TD and made the team, that's it. He's small and slow but had good hands. Robinson is quick as F, has good hands and gets open. Just another example of a guy not given enough of a chance to show us what he's got (yes he was hurt for most of preseason)... see Todman also.

12. 50YardLineClub36

Ratings:
    +2
    Is there any better example of the lack of Charger management skills than Sproles. With the Chargers he was a return man and an after thought the rest of the time. His last year with the Chargers he was used sparingly to say the least going only 787 yards. Norv didn't know how to use him and AJ didn't need him. With NO he is on the field constantly. He set an NFL record for all purpose yards but mor importantly he gained 1313 yards and 9 TDs rushing and receiving. Ask Rivers is he needs Sproles.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Scott Kaplan... Is that you?

• Like Like x 1
  14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    He was never going to be a #1 RB, it was incredibly doubtful he would've been a good #2. He's a scat back/3rd down back/KR/PR, a very good one yes but just that. He looked like he had a bad year and as such the Chargers cut bait on him. Hindsight, not a great move. Honestly though it would've been hard to fit him into the rotation and give him the snaps he wanted. Part of that is coaching, another part is the question how much you want to spend and utilize a third back when Tolbert/Mathews were going to get the bulk of the carries. With the Saints its a committee running system

15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    It doesn't hurt Sproles that the Saints are way better than the Chargers either.

16. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Exactly, their O line is so far superior period. And running on turf is perfect for the little fella with all those moves, not as easy on grass.

• Like Like x 1
  17. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    The Saints gave him a 4 year $14 million contract, with $6 million guaranteed.
    Anyone think he'd have taken similar from the Chargers after two years earning more than twice as much?

18. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,805
    This ******* still maintains that rooting for your team to lose is LAME.

• Like Like x 2
  19. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Lame sure, but sometimes wise. Be honest for a second, those last 3 wins did us absolutely no good, we gained nothing, nadda, ZERO from winning.

To be honest I never rooted for us to lose during the games, its flat out impossible for me. But I wouldn't have been upset if we did lose.

20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I never play to lose at anything!

• Like Like x 2
  21. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Exactly. He's getting paid $4.5M/yr by the Saints, he was reported to be seeking upwards of $6.5M/yr from us (closer to $7M because his agent was citing the extension Joshua Cribbs got in 2008 as a benchmark).

22. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,805
    I am being honest. IMO those last 3 wins didn't do your agenda any good ;) I agree to disagree with you that it didn't benefit us. I know you believe that the only way up would be to fire Norv - I happen to believe differently. We can run in circles for ever over this, I'm not gonna try to change your mind. No worries :D

23. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
    [​IMG]

24. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551

Okay stop teasing me with the promise of good news :) , how did winning those games help the Chargers?

25. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,805
    Winning fixes everything ;) you'll see.

Don't be afraid of a little faith Mat - I believe in you! :roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  26. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    :raiderssuck:
    :chiefssuck:
    :broncossuck:

• Like Like x 2
  27. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,805
    Amen to that! I need a hi-five emoticon....

28. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    You're the Super Mod, get-ur-done. :)

29. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,805
    I'm only a super mod cause I look bitchin in my mod hat... definitely not for my technical skills :unsure:

• Like Like x 1
  30. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Damn, I remember when that wasn't a bad word.