1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Don't worry Patsies, you weren't the only one to go 18-1

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by chargerlipz, Feb 4, 2008.

1. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    The 85 Chicago Bears went 18-1 too. Although, they did win the Super Bowl.
    You're still the best team to ever lose a Super Bowl, so at least you'll have that.

If we would have been in the Super Bowl is there any doubt that we would have smashed the Giants? I have no doubt.

Arguments?

2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    The 1984 SF 49ers also went 18-1 and won the Super Bowl.

:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Sure. The Pats defense kept your guys out of the end zone all day, and the offense put up 21 points. The Giants defense made our offense look like amateurs...what would the Giants defense have done to Rivers if they played like they did Sunday?

But thanks for the best team to ever lose a Super Bowl props...after yesterday, I'll take anything positive.

4. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Our superior secondary wouldn't have allowed Sheli to move the ball the way he did. You forget, that same secondary picked Brady off three times.

5. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    Maybe not too many here would care to admit it... but one could learn to take NFC wild card teams a bit more seriously.

Concerning your speculation... hard to say. Jughead escapes the grasp and tosses up a ball for grabs that maybe Rodney can make a better play on. Otherwise we talk a bit differently here.

Football is football and you can never accurately predict the bounces. That is part of the charm and the downfall of the supremely confident.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    We might be stronger on the corners, but we can be notoriously soft down the middle. Jughead didn't make many mistakes with the ball... and that interception was not down to him. As much as E. Manning disgusts me... my own two eyes say he did not have a bad day throwing the ball.

7. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I thought Eli made a lot of poor choices passing into heavy coverage, but the results are hard to argue with…he delivered. (Man that was hard to admit).

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    He made alot of bad passes into double/triple coverage
    His miracle pass to Tyree was a miracle, no other way to see it
    He made bad throws on the drive that led to the Patriots go ahead score
    He almost cost the team the game by throwing the ball right at Asante Samuel on that last drive

I dn't doubt he delivered and he made some accurate throws but he didn't play that well

9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    I don't know...considering how many picks our LB's had this season, I think we would have contained him.

Don't get me wrong...he showed escapability. That pass/catch to Tyree was unbelievable.

10. chargerlipz

Ratings:
    +151
    Hahaha, it doesn't matter, man. The Chargers have a personal vendetta against the Giants because of Eli Manning. That's where the balance would be tipped in our favor. Eli will never beat the Chargers because he dissed the team and the whole city. It's one of those intangibles.:abq1:

Good Super Bowl game, though.

11. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    We've got to put this year behind us, take some positives and move forward. Nobody is going to like Eli Manning, but maybe one day he will become less significant. That I can wait for, but if Archie was to choke on a piece of steak.... :icon_evil:

12. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    I do believe our outside pass rush would be able to catch the little twerp in 3-4 steps. The Shawns are fast.

There is no way Burress, Smith and Tyree match up against our secondary.

As for an ineffective offense? Chambers and Gates would be the key.

13. chargerlipz

Ratings:
    +151
    Yeah, I forgot about them too. Way to go Pats! 18-1 rocks!!!

14. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    We would've been without LT, Rivers, probably Gates and Jamal Williams too.

It would be a tall order to overcome those injuries.

15. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    Lo Neal not 100% etc...

My feeling is that the way the Zebras call the games favours the offense. You can get a lot of this illegal contact stuff called on the defense... whereas an offensive lineman almost has to tackle a guy for it to be called holding. The only way (imo) to counteract this to an even the playing field is for the defense to bring lots of pressure.

That said you have to have the weapons and scheme to burn the blitz. New England didn't establish the run or balance their attack and it cost them in the end. The Chargers at full strength could potentially blow out the Giants... but at the level of the AFC championship... I figure it would have been 50-50.

16. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    The Chargers would have run the ball more to keep that NY d-line off balance. The Patriots lost this game because of their arrogance. They didn't believe they needed to run the ball. Maroney should have toted the rock at least 25 times in that game. Yet, Belichick let McDaniels and Brady just throw as much as they wanted. 14 points by the greatest offense in the history of the NFL???? They didn't even try to impose their will on that undersized line. Belichick got schooled by the old school coaches of NY. He had two weeks to prepare and he didn't even come up with a Plan B... because he didn't believe he needed one. As Dan Shaughnessy wrote: They're History, All Right :bolt:

17. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +349
    Let's be honest, we really dont have much of an argument, as weren't there... but I will go as far as to say with healthy Gates, LT, Rivers.... I like our chances... :flag:

18. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    Agreed. For "Cro" to make "that" interception, he has to be on the field.

19. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

fixed it!!!

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    She-li MANAGED the game pretty well, a couple of bounces went their way, the Giants defense played VERY well, & karma kicked the Pats right square in the nuts! :lol:

21. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    He didn't make any mistakes that were capitalized on. He threw a pick to Assante Samuel on that last drive, but Samuel let it clang off his hands.

22. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    I'll be the first to admit that I did not watch that football game with the usual intensity. Food and drink took a higher priority. If the Chargers had been playing I would have been way too nervous to eat.

I remember some good passes... (a thread the needle TD throw and some horrendous ones)... but I guess it all matters little now.

23. chargerlipz

Ratings:
    +151
    Come on TK, you know as well as I do that our practice squad could beat them. I'm just being realistic, okay.
    :icon_banana:

24. henryqjr2001

henryqjr2001 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Super Bowl XLII Champions N.Y. Giants. Hats off to them.
    N.E. Pasties biggest chokers of all time. The bully got his assed kicked.

Super Bowl XLIII will be long to the CHARGERS!!!