1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Downtown?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Harley, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Looks very intriguing, and that would mean no more problems at the pier

3. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Saw that story in this Mornings SD Union Tribune This morning:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2009/nov/10/chargers-city-are-discussing-downtown/

Chargers, S.D. discussing downtown stadium
    15-acre site near Petco Park eyed for $1 billion project

By Matthew T. Hall

SAN DIEGO — After years of watching other cities tease the Chargers with talk of a new stadium, San Diego has become the team's leading suitor again by dangling the possibility of professional football near Petco Park. Mayor Jerry Sanders discussed the downtown idea in a private meeting with team President Dean Spanos two weeks ago. That prompted Escondido to stop wooing the team while San Diego revisits the stadium issue for the first time since 2006 when the Chargers rejected rebuilding at the Qualcomm Stadium site and began exploring options elsewhere in the county.

The focus on downtown has fueled optimism among community leaders and created anxiety among property owners who might be displaced by a $1 billion stadium project.

The roughly 15 acres being eyed for a stadium includes city-owned Tailgate Park close to Petco Park, the privately owned Wonder Bread building and the bus yard for the San Diego Transit Corp., owned by the San Diego Metropolitan Transit System.

Sanders has long said he would oppose using public funds toward construction of a new stadium, but mayoral spokesman Darren Pudgil said yesterday that the Mayor's Office is looking at all of the ways cities have helped with stadium construction. Pudgil said two options could be infrastructure financing and borrowing money against future redevelopment revenues downtown.

Everyone from team officials to potentially affected property owners say the project's financing is its main hurdle.

"Somehow, somebody still has to come up with the money to build this big, expensive stadium," said Bob Sinclair, who owns the Wonder Bread building. "I don't know how they're going to get over that delta for the cost."

Sanders and Spanos met for about an hour on Oct. 27 at the La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club. It was their first meeting since Jan. 7, although city and team officials have talked since then. Sanders called Spanos in July and early October, and Sanders' aides met with a team representative in April, May and mid-October. Future meetings will explore the city's role in the project.

In an interview last week, Sanders said contacts are more frequent now because the political landscape has changed since April 2006 when he said San Diego lacks the time and money to focus on a new Chargers stadium.

In particular, Sanders said, the city has a less combative city attorney since Jan Goldsmith replaced Michael Aguirre and the team has stopped exploring sites in Chula Vista, National City and Oceanside.

"I don't want to say the Chargers were not important because they were, but I think that after four years, we certainly have to give them a signal on what we intend to do or how we want to do it or what we can do," Sanders said. "And then start working together to see if we can achieve a solution."

Sanders and Spanos have met privately three other times, once in January 2006, about six weeks after the mayor took office, and twice in October 2006.

Building a football stadium downtown has been kicked around San Diego before. In 2003, the year before Petco Park opened, then-Mayor Dick Murphy's citizens task force on Chargers issues examined a downtown stadium site while studying a replacement or upgrade of Qualcomm Stadium.

At the time, the task force noted that building on the large bus storage facility in East Village was an option but would require a relocation of the fleet and likely an environmental cleanup. On the plus side, it found, the area has 57,000 parking spaces within 1.5 miles.

Property owners in the area are mixed on the idea of a downtown stadium. Sinclair, whose Wonder Bread building on 14th Street dates to 1898 and is about 20 percent leased, said the location makes sense for a stadium because it is accessible, has ample parking, is made up of only a handful of parcels and probably isn't too contaminated from the buses.

While some people believe the team may eventually give in to the temptation of a new stadium proposed for the Los Angeles-area City of Industry, Sinclair expects the team to stay local.

"If they're reasonable enough, they could make a deal with everybody on our little block," he said.

Yet Eddie Zaitona, the longtime owner of Logan Market & Liquor on 16th Street, which could be in the stadium's footprint, doesn't want to leave.

City officials have not ruled out using their eminent domain powers for the stadium, Pudgil said yesterday. For now, the city and team are agreeing to a series of regular meetings to study the stadium concept.

Escondido Mayor Lori Holt Pfeiler said she will stand by in case talks break down in San Diego, but she isn't hoping for that outcome.

"The way I see it, we're all engaged in trying to make sure the Chargers stay in San Diego," she said. "I think (the downtown San Diego location) is a beautiful site."

Chargers special counsel Mark Fabiani, the point person on the team's stadium search, has long said a downtown stadium makes financial sense because infrastructure improvements to accommodate a stadium of up to $1 billion elsewhere could cost $200 million, but they are a fraction of that downtown.

Both Fabiani and Sanders said they want to know quickly if the site is economically feasible for the team. A site of that size would be among the National Football League's smallest stadium footprints.

One of the first matters of business will be conducting a financial analysis to figure out how a project might be financed and to what extent the city might be involved. One possibility is some of the money for the project could come from selling or developing the city-owned 166-acre Qualcomm Stadium site, which the team would leave vacant.

Fabiani attended the Oct. 27 meeting between Sanders and Spanos with Kris Michell, Sanders' chief of staff, and Fred Maas, board chairman of the Centre City Development Corp., the city's downtown redevelopment arm.

The potential site is located entirely in the city's downtown redevelopment area, which may present financing opportunities because redevelopment law allows property tax dollars to be pumped back into an area in large sums. But it could mean competition with other projects for a limited pool of money.

Richard Rider, a longtime taxpayer advocate who ran for mayor in 2005 against Sanders, said the Chargers shouldn't count on any handout, including redevelopment bonds.

"I don't think the taxpayers are going to want to subsidize a new football stadium when we have a perfectly good football stadium more centrally located in Mission Valley," he said.

But Ben Haddad, board chairman at the San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce, is excited that Sanders and Spanos are again in regular contact.

"If folks can agree at the highest levels on a particular course of action, then I want to be in there right behind them as a business leader trying to get that done," Haddad said.

Library researchers Anne Magill and Merrie Monteagudo contributed to this report.

Matthew Hall: (619) 542-4599; matthew.hall@uniontrib.com

4. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    i know it's been debated ad nasueum but i cannot see how the superbowl being held there every five years or so would not be a huge boon for the local tax base (city & county).

5. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    If SD can build a new stadium downtown we would rule the Super Bowl circuit because SD is the finest city in the NFL. We need this there and it would be silly to build it anywhere else. Now getting this done is a whole different bag of tricks!! I truly would love to see this happen. :yes::bolt:

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Sounds good - I'll believe it when they start digging. Until then, it's all lip service.

Just wondering - how will you folks afford the PSL's that are sure to come with a new stadium? :icon_shrug:

7. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    I'm with you, Buckinator. This would be a dream come true.

I dont know about PSL's, I cant even afford a season ticket, so it wont affect me. Prices are bound to go up, but with a beautiful stadium in an excellent location with awesome amenities, I wont mind paying more.

This would be the ideal situation. Best-case scenario.

In a city with the political problems that SD has, it will be a miracle if this gets by all the political-environmental red tape. Someone will sue for something, I just know it. It is sad but true.

8. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    PSL's are very scary!! I guess I would have to sell my Norv Turner autograph collection right??:bolt:

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm no politician (thank gawd!!!) or businessman by any stretch. I realize that the financing for this will be tough - even more so in this economy. It's just very, very difficult for me to believe that this can't pencil pretty well for the city as a whole when you consider the draw to downtown, additional events, regular SB/Pro Bowl rotation .... what's not to like unless you're adamantly anti-sports or live downtown & don't want the added traffic? :icon_huh:

If it were me, civic pride alone would go a long way to supporting this. :yes:

10. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Any talk is good talk.

If the Chargers stop talking about it and don't make an announcement, then we should really be worrying.

11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    PSL's scare the hell out of me. Although they may be inevitable. I can't verify this, but I don't think Indy or Arizona had PSL's linked to their new stadiums. I know Dallas, NYG/NYJ did.

12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    The thing that just might make this work is that Sanders is WILLING to talk to Spanos AND no more idiot Mike Aguirre to fock things up. I agree that Downtown would be just awesome to build the new Charger Stadium given the convention center and gaslamp close by, public transportation. Parking might be a biatch but hey, it's downtown. I've always wanted the new Charger stadium to have a waterfront background since that would really represent San Diego with the bay to all the future Super Bowl attendees. Not to mention the millions of tourism dollars and jobs generated by it. I mean I couldn't believe the Padres got Petco built after all the political red tape involved but it did. The Chargers could do it too. Hell, Spanos can front most of the bill anyway. GET THIS DONE PEOPLE!!!

13. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I don't think PSL's will be as scary here as they are at the new Yankee stadium - whole different set of circumstances here. One major part being, the Spanos' aren't the Steinbrenners and despite some claims to the contrary, The Spanos' are deeply entrenched in the community and their goal isn't to screw the fans out of as much $$ as possible.

All in all the news surfacing around the downtown site is promising and something I've been hearing whispers about for a looooong time. Down near PetCo is the IDEAL site, but what's really cool is that Escondido is a real possibility too.

Dean Spanos wants to stay in San Diego and in 2009 the city finally started putting forth a legitimate effort. Best Stadium news we've had ever guys - it's gonna happen :yes:

14. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Agree with you man. Let's make this thing happen. With Mike Aquirre out of the picture, it could happen. I agree that the Spanos want to make every effort to stay here since this is home to them. They would have "Bolted" a long time ago if they weren't.

15. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

Sanders - "what's up Mr. Spanos?"

Spanos - "well Mr. Sanders, We got a great offer in LA."

Sanders - "Really? what's that?"

Spanos - "Doesn't matter if you get your rag tag group of misfits together and figure something out. Got it? Good!"

:icon_evil:

16. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96

I bought 4 season tickets to AZ Cardinals because they built the new stadium and still have them and trust me I did not pay any PSL money. The tickets have included free parking to every game and cost about $80 per ticket. I go to a few games every year and have fun. I am hoping to the Chargers play there next year?

17. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +687
    Right now the material costs for building a new stadium should be cheaper and due to the economy the labor costs should be lower now as well.

Downtown would be a great site but the pre-game tailgate action I think it would be limited due to the limitations on space. No massive parking lots.

I just hope something gets done. I can't stomach the thought of them being in the "LA" area.

18. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    $80 seems pretty good. Nice stadium to.

we do play AZ next year!!! In AZ!

http://www.johnnyroadtrip.com/schedules/nfl_future_afcw.htm

19. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    While riding the trolley to the first pre-season game this year, I sat across from two Charger fans visiting from New Jersey. Their family also has Giants season tickets. I asked them how the transition to the new stadium was going to work. They said that their family had to pay $1000 per seat (they have 4) in PSL's and they didn't know where the seats were.

Now $1000 is CHEAP compared to PSL's paid at the Cowboys new stadium.

Hopefully we don't see that down here.

20. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    It's too bad there is a booze ban - otherwise, how awesome would it be to tailgate at like mission bay and hop on a "Lightening Shuttle" to the game?

21. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    What is PSL?

22. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    personal seat licence

you gotta pay for the right to buy season tickets

• Like Like x 1
  23. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +687
    Ahh the good old days of Mission Beach/Bay. Too bad the drunk college crowed ruined it years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Damn whippersnappers! :icon_tease:

but yeah... peoples who can't handle themselves and their liquor suck donkey butt :p

25. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    Thank you for the reply.

26. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    What's really sad, is that the minority (have the power to) ruin things for the majority.:tdown:

• Like Like x 1
  27. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    PSLs are a function of the economy. When the Raiders returned to Oakland a friend of mine paid a $2,000 PSL (sic) per seat for field level seats, however they refunded her PSLs a few years back (2005?) to keep her as a season ticket holder.

PSLs are being fazed out for non-club seats. Owners are figuring out that squeezing field, plaza, view for every last nickel is bad business.

The real money is in boxes and club seating.

TV revenue is split equally, the gate (non-club & boxes) is split 60/40 with the visiting team, however the home team keeps 100% of box and club seating revenue. Therefor every new stadium is built to maximize that revenue stream. If that base will fork over PSL money then it will be charged.

Charging field, plaza, or view PSLs is a PR disaster.

This is an excellent post, rep me.

• Like Like x 3
  28. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

rep whore alert!!!

:lol:

29. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

welcome to democracy from the left

:flag:

• Like Like x 1
  30. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Completely agree. It would be the most convenient and visually appealing SB site on the circuit. 5 minutes to your hotel from the airport and a 5 minute walk to the stadium. Doesn't get any better than that for the high rollers, though those guys might still take a 5 minute limo ride.

They could print money every 4 or 5 years.

When these City of San Diego people ever wake up that the city itself is their biggest financial asset to be leveraged I will be amazed. Political conventions would also flock here with a sister big outdoor space closely attached to the indoor area.

The Denver model of indoor arena, outdoor arena, and convention center all within 10 minutes of each of other is the winning combination for tourist based cities.