1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Dr.Z's 2006 All-Pros

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Jan 5, 2007.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Several Chargers made it to his list

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/01/04/all.pros/4.html

RUNNING BACK (LaDainian Tomlinson)
    There were many fine runners this year, and in a normal season you would not go wrong with Tiki Barber or Larry Johnson as your all-pro selection. Frank Gore would have been a purely emotional choice, carrying a team whose offense would have died without him, operating behind an average to mediocre line. But there was simply no way of getting away from LaDainian Tomlinson, the class of the field.

TIGHT END (Antonio Gates)
    Gates vs Tony Gonzalez, whom I've always liked, and Kellen Winslow Jr., who had the most catches. An easier choice. None of them had the effect on the defense that Gates did.

GUARDS (Mike Goff)

MLB (Donnie Edwards)
    I snuck the Chargers' 3-4 inside guy, Donnie Edwards, in there, because he's such a good player in space, figuring he just might score a major upset. A good year for him, to be sure, but he closed out at 4.7.

OLD (Shawne Merriman)
    o what do you want, a guy with an all around game, such as Lance Briggs of the Bears, or a sack machine with minimal coverage responsibilities, such as the Chargers' Shawne Merriman? Well, I guess there's room for both, especially when they're the two highest graders on your board, both of them coming in at 6.3, Merriman's numbers being boosted by sacks and forces and things. Then a scout told me, "Do a work-up on the Chargers' Shaun Phillips, playing on the other side from Merriman, and you'll see numbers very similar, if not better." So I did and Phillips finished seventh at 5.1.

TACKLES (Marcus McNeill) got some props
    Finally, there was the rookie who really firmed things up for the Chargers, LT Marcus McNeill. Yes, he held up just fine for the season, but sometimes he got a bit erratic. I can see him making it down the road.

2. Helmutt

Helmutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    His reasons for not selecting Lo Neal seemed thin at best...basically "I don't like his blocking technique so I had to look at all of the lesser FB's in the league until I found one that blocks the way I prefer"...:tdown:

3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Neal's a position blocker? That's a laugh. Ask the dudes who bang with him if he's a position blocker.

As for the Goff pick, it doesn't make any sense. Goff isn't even the best guard on our team.

Zach Thomas is another questionable choice. :icon_shrug:

But, as usual, Z had plenty of them. At least Z didn't incldue Javon Walker like Peter King did.

4. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Damn, I was feeling pretty good about my boy's year until this jerk*** had to give him some props. One list you would definitely be better off being left off.

Goff, is he kidding? Nalen, is he kidding? Nalen didn't even make the Pro Bowl.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    This just begs to be insulted and torn to shreds so I'm doing it

QB: Brees had a better year then Manning and I think had a harder job in leading a constantly losing team into winning then Manning. Besides frankly I'm tired of this manning love
    FB: I grant I don't know as much about Justin Griffith but he has no major numbers to speak of and hasn't blocked for anyone. Dr. Z also believes Neal plays angles too much. Hey dumbass, being a fullback requires not just pounding the guy but doing so at the right angle to get him out of the way. What good is a great hit if it knocks the defender right where the RB is running?
    OT: Ogden's been living on reputation for too long. If it wasn't McNeil it should've been someone else like Jason Peters or heck even Walter Jones
    OG: mike goff.....I love goff but an all pro? Uh....no
    C: Tom Nalen..... Hardwick out performed him without the cheapshots
    DE: Taylor I understand; Allen always struck me as little more then a good pass rusher.
    DT: Trevor Pryce is a DE not a DT!
    CB: Dr. Z's words; "There were no clear stickouts, no one such as the Panthers' Ken Lucas, who jumped off the chart last year. No one with real week-to-week consistency." Does that not describe Jammer's incredible play this year?
    FS: Rhodes I like alot but in a discussion about FS's that made huge impacts on their teams how do you not include Marlon Mcree at least in hte discussion?!

6. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Mike Goff is Dr.Z's "I am so esoteric" All-Pro pick. He had him on his all pro team last year as well. He thinks he has found the nfl's best kept secret at guard or something. Anyway Dr.Z, take a Z't (pwnt).