1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Draft Countdown

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Mar 21, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
  2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    1st Round. Pick 28: SAN DIEGO CHARGERS:
    RYAN MATHEWS, RB, FRESNO STATE

Scouting Report

In the months leading up to the 2009 NFL Draft there was a lot of speculation that the Chargers might grab a running back in the first round since LaDainian Tomlinson was starting to wind down and Darren Sproles was due to become a free agent. Instead they opted to bring Tomlinson back and slap the franchise tag on Sproles, which didn’t exactly work out. In fact, the Chargers were 31st in the league in rushing in 2009. There will now be a changing of the guard at running back in San Diego and Fresno State’s Ryan Mathews could be the solution. Much like Donald Brown last year it looks like Mathews will parlay a breakout junior season into a spot in the first round. Durability is a concern with Mathews and that is why he didn’t really emerge until just this past year but he is a big, powerful runner with excellent balance and the ability to be a workhorse. The addition of Mathews, if he lasts this long, would solve the Chargers run game issues for the foreseeable future. Following the release of Jamal Williams the Chargers could also be in the market for a nose tackle such as Dan Williams of Tennessee or Terrence Cody of Alabama and after trading away Antonio Cromartie it looks like cornerback could be a real possibility now as well.

3. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    Me either man, I am watching the Bolt, Raven replay on NFL Network. I was at that game and I CAN'T wait for football season.

The draft just means we are that much closer. I get kinda scared when the draft comes nearer, AJ has been known to make me sad.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Scott Wright does a real nice job with this site. One of the better ones, IMO, for draft info.

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    All I want for my draft Christmas is two impact players

I don't care where they come from or what position they play.

Just bring the lumber

:bolt:

6. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    I love these mock drafts with good write ups and pics. I still can't see us taking a RB when someone like Dan Williams DT is still on the board (according to this mock).

Can somebody tell me how decent a level of competition Matthews was up against in college at Fresno St?. Is this not one of the smaller colleges in that he was up against players who are nothing like what he is going to see in the Pros.

Ala Larry English maybe!?. Not that I am saying Larry is not going to make it, I still think he will be a 'player'. :tup:

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Marshall Faulk played for the San Diego Aztec's, he turned out to be a decent pro player.

8. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Scott Wright seems like a sharp guy, I have always been suspicious about how old he really is: the Internet can disguise these things pretty good. Is it a kid in his mother's basement who doesn't have a "real job"?!

9. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I love the excitement and anticipation building up to the draft but then we get to draft day and I watch anxiously for hours until they get to our 1st pick and then I'm like, "WTF AJ?" , "Who?"

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Here's one of the more trusted sources regarding SOS, DB. I've never looked very much at this re: a player's ability to transition to the NFL game. I try to look at his talents, not the competition or stats. Could be that this is more grist for the mill.

Fresno State is is the WAC - not a powerhouse football conference but not chopped liver, either.

11. CasualKnowledge

CasualKnowledge BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    Shouldn't we start a running backs thread, a CB thread, and a NT thread?

I still don't like the fact that our best RB prospect comes from a conference who's best competition was Boise state. Has there been a good running back out of the WAC in the last 15 years? The knock on Mathews is that he isn't going to break many tackles, yet we need a power RB. Most mock drafts are putting Mathews at 28 because they are assuming the Chargers can't do any better. Mathews is being compared to Donald Brown, so we have 3.5 a carry and 3 TDs to look forward to.

12. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    LT was from the WAC!!!!!!!! :eek:wned:

13. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Mathews is the most complete back in this draft. He was at his best against Boise with 200+ yards and 3 TDs and Boise is a top 5 team!! And I don't consider him to be a power back, I consider him balanced. Yes he can run over people and break arm tackles but he can also run around people and outrun them to the endzone.

Donald Brown and Ryan Mathews are 2 totally different people who played for (and will play for) different teams with different coaching staffs with different play calls. They are not as similar as you may think

14. CasualKnowledge

Ratings:
    +19
    I said "a good RB". I'm kidding, of course. Forgot that TCU used to be WACK, did they leave for a reason? I've been owned, I'll accept it.

15. CasualKnowledge

Ratings:
    +19
    Last year Moreno was supposed to be the most complete back. I'd rather go after someone who has potential, not someone who we might have seen the best from.

16. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I don't know why they left. Probably they felt they could contend with better teams. It worked out though, theyre usually a top 10 team now days

Well which RB do you think has the most potential?

17. CasualKnowledge

Ratings:
    +19
    I don't know about most potential, but I'd rather spend a later round pick on one of these guys over Mathews in the 1st.

Tate, I think he can be the Shonn Greene of this year
    McKnight, just make sure he knows he doesn't need to win the game by himself
    Roy Upchurch, could be an undrafted steal, grab him in the 6th or 7th if he's still there

18. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Marshall Faulk if u count his playing career in the last 15 years bc back then sdsu was in the wac

19. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    8 days people!