1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Draft Day Rounds 4-7

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Apr 28, 2012.

1. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +354
    I would take Minnefield or Polk over the rest of the clowns that are left in the draft pool @ #250.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Yes, but I don't think he'll be there..

I'll be happy with Burfict too.. doubt he gets drafted though I can see the Steelers, Ravens, Packers, or Patriots rolling the dice on him..

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,643
    For what its worth both Todd McShay and Mel Kiper Jr said Molk is a potential future starter and a fighter who compares favorably to Jeff Saturday

• Like Like x 2
  4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,481
    What do those two clowns know? :p

5. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +354
    They also said that Jamarcus Russell had one of the strongest arms they had ever evaluated. And his transition to the NFL would be a good one. lol!

6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    I like Molk, this is another great late round value, and it makes sense if they believe Hardwick is on a year to year basis.

7. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +354
    Poor Kellen Moore. The dude goes 50-3 in college and is among the most accurate passers out there. And guys like BJ Coleman are getting drafted before this kid because of his size and lack of arm strength.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,643
    He did have the strongest arm I've ever seen but also the laziest work ethic and roundest stomach of any QB since Ryan Leaf. Still it never hurts to hear 'experts' state your pick was a good one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,643
    We are next up

10. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    lets stop pickin big uglies and take a sexy position with #250

11. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +354
    Edwin Baker maybe?

12. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,643
    Edwin Baker RB Michigan State

13. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,628
    There's your rb.

14. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,643
    Great value

Biography: Shared time carrying the ball last season and posted 170 attempts/665 yards/5 TDs on the ground while adding five receptions. All-conference selection as a sophomore with rushing totals of 207/1201/13.

Positives: Smallish yet explosive ballcarrier who plays with terrific speed and quickness. Runs with good lean, displays solid vision and effectively uses blocks all around the field. Possesses a burst through the hole, quickly cuts back against the grain and loses little momentum changing direction. Squeezes through the small openings of the offensive line, keeps his feet moving on contact and works runs. Possesses the agility and speed necessary to turn the corner. Better pass catcher than his numbers indicate. Extends his hands and displays good focus catching the ball. Sees the blitz and squares into defenders in pass protection.

Negatives: Does not consistently play to his timed speed. Marginal strength carrying the ball and blocking. Easily brought down by the first defender.

Analysis: Baker was a solid back for Michigan State and projects as a third-down runner/situational ballcarrier at the next level.

Projection: 3rd

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2012/players/99614.html?sct=dt-ba#ixzz1tNcYYIOc

15. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,643
    OVERALL FOOTBALL TRAITS
    Production 2 "2009: (8/1) -- 85-427-5.0-1 2010: (13/12) - 207-1201-5.8-13 2011: (14/8) - 170-665-3.9-5 Career: (2009-11) -- 15 catches, 125 yards, 8.3, 1TD "
    Height-Weight-Speed 3 Undersized in terms of height and weight but top-end speed is slightly above-average.
    Durability 2 "Missed four games during senior year of high school with a hyper-extended knee injury while also forcing him to sit out the 2009 US Army All-American game. However, has not suffered an injury throughout collegiate career that we are currently aware of. "
    Intangibles 2 Hard worker and addicted to the weight room. Nicknamed 'The Rock.' Leads by example and well respected by coaches and teammates. Head coach Mark Dantonio refers to him as a 'self-motivated guy.'

1 = EXCEPTIONAL2 = ABOVE AVERAGE3 = AVERAGE4 = BELOW AVERAGE5 = MARGINAL
    RUNNING BACK SPECIFIC TRAITS
    Competitiveness 2 Runs hard and with good determination. Does not dip out of bounds and will look to turn up field to pick up extra yards. Will finish runs when given the opportunity. Ball security is a bit of an issue and needs to do a better job of securing the ball in traffic.
    Vision/Patience 2 Overall vision is above-average but not great. On one hand shows good patients and does nice job of setting up and utilizing blocks. On the flip side will miss a vertical cut on occasion. Flashes ability to recognize and hit cutback seam. Shows some upside as a second level runner.
    Agility/Acceleration 3 "Displays quick feet and possesses adequate lateral quickness. Can stick foot in the ground and get vertical. Flashes an effective hesitation move in the open field to make a defender miss. However, one tempo runner that lacks acceleration out of cuts. Also does not possesses the quick-twitched explosiveness and question his ability to create yards on his own. Also does not show an extra gear to out run pursuit angles. "
    Power/Balance 2 Generally runs behind his pads. Flashes good balance and shows ability to bounce off of contact and pick up yards. Doesn't have elite power with lower body though and doesn't consistently churn out tough yards. Runs hard and can push a pile in short-yardage situations.
    Passing Game 4 Willing and not afraid to step up in pass pro. Shows good strength and technique in this area. Has limited experience and production as a receiver out of the backfield. Small hands (8.1) amplify concerns about ball skills. Will struggle to consistently separate with underneath routes at the next level.

16. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    pretty happy with edwin baker with our 7th round pick... i think hes gonna stick on the roster out of need at the position and i think hes an upgrade over curtis brinkley

17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Another pick that seems like extreme value from AJ.

18. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    I honestly don't see a lot of upside on this kid,
    but for those who are convinced that any guy
    drafted 3 or 4 rounds after some projections
    is "a great value"...well, rejoice! :) (me, not so much)

btw way Matty, I typed this--slowly--before your post...
    it wasn't a snarky response to you specifically...

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,481
    What a fargin' whiner!!!

Oh, AJ sucks........ AJ doesn't know what the hell he's doing!!! ;)

20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    I don't either, I would have taken Gray in the 5th over this guy in the 7th, but that doesn't mean he can't be a decent backup.

I still hope we sign a veteran here.

21. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Would love to see us sign either Minnifield or Burfict within the week..

22. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,643
    He was projected to go in the third, is a quick runner with good ability in between and outside the tackles. Considered a poor man's Ray Rice. I don't know where or how he fits in the backfield (in addition to the dozen or so other backs we have of all kinds). Great value as far as projection and potentially a good player on talent. Again no complaints whatsoever with this pick. AJ did damn well this year

23. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Just being consistent: I mock guys for criticizing picks just because
    they think they "know" a guy "would've been available in a later round"
    so I also don't praise AJ for theoretical "value" on the other side of that coin.
    Overall, I'm a big AJ fan
    (not just times like this weekend, where I seem to have more company than usual) ;)
    but I don't see much sense in this particular pick. Not horrible.
    Just doesn't look useful to me.

p.s. I'm guessing you were joking, but since I can rarely tell, I typed a straight answer. :)

24. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Chris Polk, James Brown, Chase Minnifield, Lucas Nix, Leonard Johnson, Dwight Jones, Ryan Steed, DaJohn Harris, Vontaze Burfict, Jerry Franklin those among NOT drafted, some pretty good talent here..

25. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,374
    That's what I look at. Hunter is one of the best OL coaches in the league, and I would be willing to be that he has alot of input on which of the OL prospects get drafted.

26. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Edwin Baker is a good pick.. BUT needs to do a better job catching the ball..

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,481
    And holding onto it....... #imjustsaying

28. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,374
    Or it could speak to the fact that he was suffering from knee tendinitis at the combine. He put up 31 reps on the bench press. That's suggests he's neither lazy nor out of shape.

29. sdrocks

sdrocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
  30. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,374