1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Draft Jamal's replacement in 2010

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by WonderSlug, Sep 28, 2009.

1. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Terrence "Mount" Cody
    DT, Alabama

6' 5" 355 lbs

Dude's an OL mover. Keeps crushing the pocket.

Unfortunately, it looks like the Pats may have the inside track on him.

2. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Stupid Raiders :tdown:

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    depends where they and we end up in the draft rankings - but yeah he'd be a dream to acquire.
    And ironically if the Pats felt the need to grab him, they'd obviously decide they don't want Wilfork and I'd happily take him too

4. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +354
    Cody is a beast, and has all the skills on the field to be a sick DT.

However, there are some questions about his work ethic and that he is a bit lazy.

Good news is those are easily corrected and would be a welcome addition in SD.

5. ThunderNLightning

ThunderNLightning BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    this should be terrance cody no doubt...check out my post in the "what would u do to the chragers thread"

Cody is a beast although he is not 355LBS LOL he's gotta atleast be 380....he'll never be 350 or 355...hopefully we can get him down to 365 by march-april 2010..roun draft time....
    might even have to move up to get him(or maybe not with the way were playin lol)

but that guy can play NT. i actually watch the college games unlike some people who just read mock drafts and blogs all day. Cody is a player...excellent run stopper an just take up space....dominant...covers ground....push the pocket...crashes the pocket...getting cody is like getting 2 DT's
    a 2fer....2 for 1

vince wilfork grew up in the same neighborhood as me and went to the same high school "santaluces" as me, down here in south florida...he's not 350 either.... more like 375 but he can move! vince might be 360...i saw the bronco game and he looked fat...but good fat....LOL

not big on free agents i say we build our talent in the draft but if vince is available we shud get him...this guy is unusually fast for his weight...

in high school he would practice with the track team....an even race sprints....he never beat anybody but everyone was amazed at how quick he did look....and strong too...saw him bench press a person.... an no it wasnt me...

i was a wide eye freshman watching from a safe distance

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    If he's available when the Chargers are drafting, by all means take him.

7. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
  8. JUGGERNAUT

JUGGERNAUT BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7

I don't think the pats get him. How do they have the inside track?

The Raiders gave up a 2011 first rounder for Richard Seymour, not 2010.

The Pats would be nuts to not resign Wilfork AND they just spent a 2nd round draft pick on Ron Brace. Hell, they traded up to get him.

So...assuming the Pats have a higher selection than the Chargers(which I doubt), there is still no way they pick Cody.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    There's some very serious talk that he'd be the first player selected in the draft, though at this stage take that with a grain of salt.
    And at least if there's ONE positive for us losing its that it puts us closer to bringing the Mountain to San diego

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,726

Cody is the obvious option, but given the new popularity of the 3-4 I think its doubtfull at best that we land him.

Suh is DE in the 3-4, same with Gerald McCoy. Not big enough or strong enough to play NT in the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  11. bgorton8@giga.watt

bgorton8@giga.watt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I noticed youre a newbee like me to this site.Welcome.I'm glad everyone has JAMAL'S replacement figured out.Me,I stressed enough this week.I need another Newcastle Brown.Can you spare 500. Thanks in advance, Brian

12. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Oh I know, there's maybe two NTs I can find so far in the draft. But Suh and Mccoy and the DT from Syracuse are wildly talented too, so if cody's off the board its worth at least thinking about

13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,726
    I may have been wrong about Suh. That is a man among boys.

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Where have you been? He's been outstanding for long before this last game vs. Texas. He should win the Heisman, but it will likely go to McCoy or Ingram.

If he doesn't go 1st overall to Cleveland (likely 1st pick), their GM should be taken out & shot. And if they choose to go in a different direction, you can bet that TB will be all over him.

He & Eric Berry are two real defensive game-changers.

15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,726
    I know Suh has been great all year, but I didn't think he was strong enough to play NT in a 3-4 scheme because he is about 20-30lbs underweight for that position.

So I may have been wrong, but still I think he's more of a DE in the 3-4 scheme.

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I actually agree with that .... he could slide over as needed, but would make an incredible 5-technique DE. I still have high hopes that Martin is the NT of the future.

I'd like to see Dan Williams stock drop. I like him, but he may be headed to the bottom of the 1st.

17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,726
    There are a lot of players I like in this draft, I'd be surprised if one of them doesn't fall in our lap at 32.:tup:

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Same here - it's a real good year for DL.

Frankly, I'd like to see the RFA tender on Merriman & someone jump at it. An extra 1st & 3rd would be awfully sweet & I'm not at all certain that Shawne is going to make it all the way back.

19. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +57
    Trade up for 'Mount cody'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If ever there was a advertisement for getting the best NT prospect in the draft...it was seeing our defence perform this year without Big Jamal in the Middle.

We MUST...must must must get Terrance Cody this year!

Anyone else is unacceptable!! lol

If LT is gone...pick up Javid Best in Round 2 to pair with Sproles

20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,726
    Cody's stock has COLLAPSED lately. I don't think its rediculous at all that he could fall to us at 28, and if we don't draft him he could go into the 2nd round.

21. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Don't think he'll go deep into the second round, I think taking him at 28 is perfectly reasonable and I think he'll end up late first early second unless in the combine/workouts he goes completely nuts

• Like Like x 1
  22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,726
    I'd love for some team to give us a 1st rounder for Merriman, Phillips, Sproles, or whoever via trade or RFA compensation. It would make things so much easier, see what you think of this senario.

1st(Merriman) RB CJ Spiller....instant successor to LT.
    1st (28th) OT Bryan Bulaga.....run blocking beast, reminds me of Jeff Otah or Michael Oher.
    2nd (trade up to early 2nd) NT Terrance Cody......make him lose about 20lbs and turn him into Jamal Williams.

23. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310
    If we could get Spiller, barring Rivers, I don't care who we trade to get a pick that high. Yes, I'd even say good-bye to VJ. We've got good depth a WR and we could always draft another, or sign a FA. If we do get Spiller, then yes Bulaga needs to come next, but if not (more likely) we need to take Cody at the 28th pick.

• Like Like x 1
  24. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +57
    I dont like hearing talk of letting VJ go...we need him!

If we got two 1st rounders...C J Spiller and Buluga or Cody would be massive pick ups for us...although I still have reservations wether Spiller can be effective running between teh tackles consistently in the NFL!

I am edging towards Jonathan Dwyer being a better fit for us as a running back...until somebody changes my mind lol:lol:

25. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87
    You guys want this guy as our bulldog?
    :no:

[​IMG]

26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Screw you non-believers .... I trust what Harbaugh has to say.

Terrence Cody off to quick start
    Rookie defensive lineman making a good impression
    Aaron Wilson
    June 01, 2010, 11:28 PM EST

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Between massive rookie nose guard Terrence "Mount" Cody's surprising athleticism, brute strength and developing technique, the Baltimore Ravens are extremely excited about his potential.

"He's really a bright guy," Ravens coach John Harbaugh said of the second-round draft pick from Alabama. "I mean, he really does a good job studying the defense. Really, in the first mini-camp, as much as we threw on him, he came out here and picked it up really quickly.

"He works hard in the weight room. He works hard in the conditioning stuff, so all plusses so far. Obviously, when the pads come on, I think it'll even be more of a strength for him, but he's done well so far."

The former consensus All-American toughed out a hip injury for a week before reporting it to trainers.

Now, Cody has gotten over the inflammation.

"I felt like it was just a little bruise and stuff, so I felt it would just go away in a couple days," Cody said. "But it ended up staying with me."

When he returned, Cody made an immediate impact.

He sacked backup quarterback Troy Smith, forcing a fumble.

Then, he grabbed Smith on another play and sacked him again

"I'm just learning things from the coaches that I can add to my toolbox," Cody said. "We don't have any pads, so we can't really bull-rush or do anything like that. So, it's really finesse right now."

Cody registered a half-sack at Alabama in two seasons after transferring from a Mississippi junior college.

His forte is stuffing the run. No opposing runner hit the century mark against the Crimson Tide with Cody on the field as middle linebacker Rolando McClain wound up winning the Butkus Award and was drafted in the first round by the Oakland Raiders.

Cody is projected to contribute behind starting nose guard Kelly Gregg this season.

"I'm just counting the days down right now," Cody said. "I'm really strong and explosive."

And the 6-foot-4, 360-pounder appears to be getting into better condition, a major priority as he prepares for his first NFL season.

Harbaugh was clearly amused when asked about Cody 'pancaking' Smith.

"I'm not going to go there," Harbaugh said. "I think there's a lot of opportunity on that, with the pancake comment, but we'll stay away from that."

:icon_finger::icon_finger::icon_finger:

27. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37

Cam Thomas was better value than Cody.

28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Sez you. When he's stuffing Matthews in post-season I'll remind you how brilliant you are.

Feel free to return the favor should the opposite occur. :yes:

Baltimore is quite likely the cream of the AFC this year.

I'll take John Harbaugh's estimation of Cody over any of you here who are still puffing their chests out about "calling" the Matthews pick.

29. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Yea Baltimore is a really good team this year. They had a great draft and they have Boldin now and Ray Rice is a beast. If it's not us in the superbowl repping the AFC then its Baltimore

30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,726
    They all look good in shorts bud.

But when the 4th quarter comes around and the kid is getting pushed backward, or is standing still playing patty cake with an O-linemen, you won't be talking.