1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Draft Needs: Mid-season

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by szarmes, Nov 5, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I think that it may be a bit early to start naming players that are possible draft prospects for us because we could either finish as a top 10 draft team or the 32nd draft team.... But, we still can evaluate which positions need to be addressed in the draft based on the way we've been playing so far.

Top Priority:
    Defensive end. Our pass rush isn't that great and we have no DE's who can get to the QB consistently. I like the nose tackle rotation we've got going on, and Garay has been holding his ground but we need a play-making DE!

Not quite Top Priority but we also need these guys:
    Safety. Paul Oliver and Steve Gregory have done their parts in helping out our defense this year, but neither is a true play maker. If we can get another safety with a passion as big as Weddle's, our defense will be much improved.

TE. Let's face it, Antonio Gates is 30 years old and has possibly 5 more dominant years left with us at most. Our back up TE's are sh!t and can't catch or hang on to the ball. We need to get a TE in this draft and start developing him behind Gates so that when Gates gets hurt we wont be screwed. Plus, the new TE will learn from the best ever and that will improve his skill even more.

WR. The VJ ship will most likely sail as well as the Buster ship. I like Crayton but he is getting old. Floyd is good and will become a better #1 receiver with time, but Nannee is kind of doing crappy as the #2 (no offense to Nannee fans). I like what I see in Tutu and think that he will develop into our #2 behind Floyd eventually, but adding depth to our receiving corps can't hurt.

CB. Jammer will be slowing down soon so drafting a young, physical CB to learn our defense now won't be a bad thing. IMO, our backup CBs are junk. When Jammer gets too old, this new guy will be able to jump right in to the starting lineup without a problem.

Areas for improvement:

OLB. Merriman is gone and until English proves himself, Phillips is our best OLB. Barnes has been pretty good so far but more depth won't hurt.

Where do you think we need improvement?

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Defensive End
    Outside Linebacker
    Tight End
    Wide Receiver
    OL depth
    Cornerback maybe

3. gettough

gettough BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    The biggest need is a defensive player who can match the intensity and swagger Philip Rivers plays with.

4. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Needs

Hopefully a starter capable CB who can return kicks. Kinda like Arenas for KC. I hope they move Jammer to SS sooner rather than later.

We need a stud Bookend Tackle, opposite Big Mack. I would love Gabe Carimi from the Badgers. Maybe Dombo can be that man, even if he, is we need someone to groom...a mid rounder at latest.

I honestly think we are fine on DLine...Martin is soon to be a stud...and Castillo is fine if overpaid.

I do think we could use a TE to groom behind Gates.

We also need a Thumper at ILB to compliment Siler, especially if we don't have confidence in Butler's rehab.

OLB, I'd love to get Von Miller or Dontay Moch (4.25 speed at OLB!!!!) to add to the Groom behind #52 and #95.

Highest Priority would be impact LB'ers. Then RT prospects, thankfully those are not usually highly sought after positions....so good ones should be available later in rounds 1-3. :helm1:

5. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I say BEEF FIRST!

I think we are set at WR but I would love to add Leonard Hankerson to the mix.

We should get another later round RB and that guy would be Damien Berry.

I would say draft kicker Matt Bosher but he has currently set himself up as a Punter in the NFL by blowing a couple of short kicks and XP's this season.

Also draft someone to return kicks. Make it a WR or CB type not another RB.

6. mettadown

mettadown BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    A ball hawking strong safety, someone to read the qb's eyes and make some nice interceptions, even if they are a bit suspect on run defence since our front 7 has been handling their business. Or a cb so Jammer can go to safety.

I'm assuming sproles is going to be gone next year as is VJ so a wr/kr would be good.

Jeromey Clary handled his business against Robert Mathis today, so maybe with the ski's and tyronne green we've got sufficient oline depth for now.

If Ryan Matthews is going to continue to be injured and there is no great wr/kr then maybe a hb/kr?

O how could I forget, a new kicker. One who can put kick off's in the endzone. (Nate kaeding had 1 touchback leading up to week 12 this year) if he ends up making a kick or two in the playoffs then I'll change my tune, but til then...

Really we've got no real weakness anywhere. This may be one of the most complete charger teams ever. So draft for depth and prospects for the future.

7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,726
    I think we're set as far as beef goes.

This is a draft where I think we go all out too find the next IMPACT player. A guy opposing offenses have to gameplan for, a guy you can't block, a guy you can't cover, a guy who makes defenses say..."OH ****" every time he touches the ball in open space. Go out and find the next Gates, find the next huge matchup problem like VJack, find the next Polamalu, find the next Clay Matthews.

We have lunchpale guys, its time to find playmakers.