1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Crime Time 31, Jan 13, 2009.

?

Who to Draft

1. Rey Maualuga (if available)

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  2. James Laurinitis (if available)

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. A Safety

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. Trade pick/other/lineman/no idea.

14 vote(s)
    43.8%
  1. Crime Time 31

Crime Time 31 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Who do you want to draft?

I'm hoping we can draft a ILB to replace Wiffhelm. I think that, SS, and the right side of the OL are our biggest holes right now.

I'm praying either Rey Maualuga or James Laurinitis fall to us. I'm prefer Rey, but I'd settle for James.

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,641
    Road grater OL > best DL avail > Maualuga > Taylor Mays

3. clontarf_bolt

clontarf_bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Mays is going back to SC

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    You guys who are all enamored with Maualuga are gonna be in for a surprise. He's not as good as you think. Has trouble shedding blocks, overruns plays to the point of being out of position ..... Cushing or Maiava will make better NFL LBs.

Quit your pining for another Pacific Island ILB. Ray is no Junior. Not even close. :no:

We'll probably go BPA - just depends on who falls to 16.

5. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    buck i wish we had the 16th pick

but there is an asterisk next to teams who make the playoffs, we could be looking as high as #24

curtis taylor rd 3 and we are good

6. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +450
    Ur starting to take the piss now.......

We have pick 16 period.

Last time I write this.

7. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49

the team that wins the superbowl has the last pick in the draft regardless of record

8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +450
    Yes correct and the losing team picks 31st... For every other team their pick is already determined by record.

Last time I checked we got beat sunday so we will not be winning the Superbowl or losing it this year, thus we pick 16th.

9. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49

i hope you are right i am persuaded by other means, namely pittsburgh fans...

it just seems funny that all playoff teams are subject to change by the divisional playoffs...

ok well cody and mays are both staying, meaning the chargers will have a ****** draft sorry...

10. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +450
    Last post I promise....

All playoff teams are subject to change but only if they make it all the way to the Superbowl.

If u don't make it to the big dance then ur pick was already determined before u played your first playoff game.

Ofcourse let's say a team was picking 16 going into the playoffs and wins it all then the team that was to pick 17 but did not make the playoffs now picks 16 and so on.

11. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,774
    LeSean McCoy. LT's future is in doubt, McCoy is a Chris Johnson clone minus the attitude. More like a younger LT actually, incredibly explosive and quick but more solid than your typical scat back as he proved with 21TD's this year.

If not I'm good with Maualuga or Laurenitis, or even OT Michael Oher should he fall to us.

13. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +450
    Is he coming out as a Sophomore?, is that permitted now?.

14. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    OL, LB and a bruiser safety that instills fear into the hearts of opposing team's WRs & TEs.

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,670
    ILB - will probably have some good ones available at our pick
    NT - BJ Raji in the first or Torrance Taylor in the third/fourth
    RG/RT - Unless Oher falls, looks for the third with Herman Johnson
    SS - maybe later down the line or FA
    DE - late round pick

16. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Rey Maualuga

17. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    ROT...

must keep PR verticle...

18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,774
    He declared on Janurary 8th, I think he was a redshirt sophomore, so he is eligable.

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Someone gets it. :yes:

PR is the future of this team (sorry, LT). He has to be protected & the right side of the OL ain't getting it done. clary is a turnstile - he wouldn't be where he is now if T-Rex Olivea hadn't **** the bed. Clary is a backup at best. No, don't move him to RG & think everything will be all better. We need some talent & attitude on the OL.

Thanks, DB, for hopefully driving home the fact that WE ARE PICKING AT #16. The only way that changes is if we make a trade. The only teams whose selection order is in question are the 4 left playing. OK? :icon_shrug:

If AJ wants to field a competing team next year, he'll address a few key areas:

OL (right side)
    DL (End or tackle - depends on the scheme next year)
    Safety
    ILB
    RB

DE could be handled via FA IF AJ will play somewhere besides in the bottom of the pool. The rest need to be drafted. ILB MAY work out in-house, but at least one of the Dobbins/Siler/Waters mix has to step up in a big way. Safety & RB are draft issues.

AJ needs to pull a second out of his azz in order to address our needs & have the cash to pay for it. If it takes LT to do it, then so be it. That's a lot for me to say but there it is. My primary allegiance is to the team, not any single player.

FYI - Mays is most likely staying at USC. Maualuga is overrated. RBs don't need to be picked in the 1st round. Raji is a fat clown.

That is all. :bolt:

20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,670
    Can get one in FA (Gross, Carey) or later in the draft (Loadholt)

21. clontarf_bolt

Ratings:
    +40
    I like what Ive seen of McCoy a lot, but dya think theres a chance he'd drop to us or that we'd go for him??

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    You can't run without holes.

You can't win the big games without a staunch defense.

AJ has strayed from that the last few years.

We need big, mean fat guys who can move.

Once we have those, then we can think about RBs.

23. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    They dont know what they are talking about.

Here is how it works:

If there are any teams in the playoffs that have the same record ( 10-6, 9-7, etc) the team that goes the farthest in the playoffs will pick last of those teams.
    In other words since Pitsburgh and Indianapolis had the same 12-4 record, Indy will pick ahead of Pittsburgh because Pittsburgh went further in the playoffs. Then of coarse if Pitt makes the superbowl, they will pick 31 or 32.

We are already picking last of all the 8-8 teams so our draft possition will NOT change.

24. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,774
    I definantly think he has a good chance to fall to the 20's as of now, but I bet his workout will be STELLAR, and his stock will skyrocket as we get closer to draft day.

25. clontarf_bolt

Ratings:
    +40
    ah i see...well hopefully we get the BEEF needed to allow us to take somebody like McCoy and be able to run him effectively!

26. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,774

All the teams with top picks will jump on all the best O-linemen, Detroit, KC, Cinci, St. Louis, Oakland, Seattle, San Fran and Washington and all desperately need help on O-line.

27. clontarf_bolt

Ratings:
    +40
    this is true, wel maybe FA will help us in the BEEF areas and we can spend the draft gettin folk like McCoy and some sorta pass rushing linebacker

28. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,670
    We can draft a good tackle or guard in the third round (I'm thinking Phil Loadholt from Oklahoma or Herman Johnson from LSU0

but if you want 1st round beef, I keep hearing that Michael Oher from Ole Miss is dropping. He might be there and he could be a good pick up assuming his head is all there.

29. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,774
    If he's dropped at all it means he went from top 5 to top 10.:yes:

I've heard some people say he's the only "can't miss" player in the draft. And dont forget we're gonna get comp picks for Michael Turner and Drayton Florence. Probably a 3rd and a 5th at best.

30. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If we get a 5th for Florence then we robbed the NFL. The only way we get a comp that high for him is perhaps because of the Jags overpaying him. It won't be on performance. :no: