1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Draftcountdown mock

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Mar 30, 2010.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Has us getting Dan Williams at #28 and Gerhart at #40. If that is how it played out, I would be stoked.

2. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    Getting Dan Williams at 28 would be enough to get me stoked.

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    By the way, they have Cody dropping for #43 only 7 spots ahead of Cam Thomas who I wouldn't mind having either if we wait till the 2nd to get a NT.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I seriously doubt that Williams drops that far, but since Scott Wright has likely forgotten more about the draft than all of us "experts" here put together, maybe he knows something that we don't. :icon_shrug:

OLB is beginning to look a little more relevant as well. I don't expect to see Merriman in a Bolt uni next year. I think the best that we can hope to see there is that he beasts it up this year, AJ tags him again next year, & we get some ROI.

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    How would a possible (or probable depending who you hear it from) lockout effect franchise tags? If he is a FA in 2011 and there is a lockout, would that mean they could franchise him in 2012 or would he be free to go anywhere

By the way, you are probably right and Williams will probably be gone. If he is, I hope we wait for Cam Thomas

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Only team between 28 and 40 that needs a NT is KC. And if you know Scott Pioli's pedigree you know their is a snowballs chance in hell that he takes Terrance Cody.

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    My understanding is this ....

Due to the uncapped year, UFA status moved from 4 to 6 yrs., which caught Merriman in the RFA trap along with many others. We used the RFA tender this year. Next year we can franchise tag him, should we decide to do so. I don't know how a lockout would change that issue. I'll see what I can find.

I won't belabor the point as some here seem to do regarding "their guy(s)" but Cam Thomas is a poor substitute for Williams or Cody. His teammate Marvin Austin is a better DT & will likely go in the 1st next year. One Senior Bowl does not re-make a guy. Take it FWIW, but I have seen a lot of UNC games & I've come away mostly unimpressed. That's from in-person, not Youtube or other selected clips.

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I get the whole uncapped year this year, I am just curious if anyone knows how a lockout next year would effect players contracts. Meaning, would teams just lose a year of service for all the players that year, or would their contracts just have a year added on the back side?

As for Thomas, having another stud on that team doesn't mean he isn't good, and doesn't mean he isn't worthy of a 2nd round pick. I would take him, a guy without serious weight issues, over a guy who has very serious issues.

I wouldn't expect Thomas to be Jamal in his rookie year. But he could work into the rotation with Garay and OG and take over the starting job in year 2. After all, Jamal was a 2nd round pick in the supplemental draft, and took like 2-3 years to become the stud he turned into, and he was drafted as a 4-3 DT at about 310lbs. It wasn't really until he put on 30-40 lbs and the team switched to the 3-4 that he became the stud

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Working on getting an answer re: lockout & any franchise tag issues.

Edit: This comes from a guy who I consider a very good source re: NFL financials/contracts ....

So there you have it .... clear as mud. :lol:

I'll keep digging as it's a good question that can directly affect us with regards to a few players.

10. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    That is more than I thought you would find, since there will probably be a new CBA before any football is played in 2011 anyway. That new CBA could change anything we may expect... heck it could eliminate the franchise tag altogether.

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Thanks. I will keep digging as well

12. CasualKnowledge

CasualKnowledge BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    Vikings or Jets could easily take another NT.

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    A little more regarding the 2011 franchise tag status. I know it's from PFT, but Florio is a lawyer ....

Availability of franchise tag for 2011 is unclear
    Posted by Mike Florio on March 28, 2010 8:07 AM ET
    If Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, signed through 2010, is traded to a new team without a contract extension, his new team would be able to retain his rights for 2011 via the franchise tag, right?

Possibly.

The final answer depends on the interpretation of Article XX, Section 1 of the current CBA. Here's the full text: "Except as set forth in Section 10 below, each Club shall be permitted to designate one of its players who would otherwise be an Unrestricted Free Agent as a Franchise Player each season during the term of this Agreement. The player so designated may be one who would otherwise be a Restricted Free Agent. Except as set forth in Section 2(a)(i) below, any Club that designates a Franchise Player shall be the only Club with which such Franchise Player may negotiate or sign a Player Contract, during the period the player is so designated, notwithstanding the number of his Accrued Seasons. The period for Clubs to designate Franchise Players will begin on the twenty-second day preceding the first day of the new League Year and will end at 4:00 p.m. New York time on the eighth day preceding the first day of the new League Year."

Here's what it potentially means: Since the CBA doesn't expire until March 2011 and since the deadline for designating franchise players expires in February 2011, before the CBA ends, the franchise designation may be used for the 2011 season.

The key language, arguably capable of multiple interpretations, is this: "[E]ach Club shall be permitted to designate one of its players who would otherwise be an Unrestricted Free agent as a Franchise Player each season during the term of this Agreement." (Emphasis added.)

The league, which declined to provide its position on this matter beyond merely citing Article XX, Section 1 as the operative clause, would likely argue that, because the deadline for use of the tag in 2011 applies "during the term of this Agreement," franchise tags are available for 2011. The union, which has not yet responded to our request for its own position regarding this issue, likely would claim that the qualifier "each season" makes the franchise tag inapplicable during 2011, since 2011 is not a season that falls within the "term of this Agreement."

It's yet another high-stakes battle that will be waged between labor and management over the coming year -- and it's an important factor that any team interested in trading for McNabb needs to keep in mind, if he declines to sign a new contract.

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Thanks

15. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Vikings don't run a 3-4 defense so I'd be very surprised if they took the least mobile DT in the world.

Jets...eh...maybe. 3-4 DE is their biggest issue. Odrick and Price are probably on their radar.