1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Drama going down in Orange Town

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by OrangeMan, Mar 18, 2008.

1. OrangeMan

OrangeMan Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/mar/17/bowlen-im-not-going-to-sit-still/
    The move to fire their general manager less than a month into free agency and six weeks before the NFL draft has cast the Broncos in some circles as a club in disarray.

But things are just the opposite, owner Pat Bowlen said Monday.

In some respects, it's a smooth transition. The team already had rid itself this offseason of "dysfunctional" elements among the players and coaches. The purge merely rose to the front-office level this time with Ted Sundquist's exit last week.

It's now Bowlen's fervent hope a sense of calm can prevail and move the Broncos forward into a productive future.

"I didn't think it was a healthy situation," Bowlen said, explaining a communication breakdown between Mike Shanahan, the coach and head of football operations, and Sundquist was addressed as far back as the end of the 2006 season but didn't improve.

Bowlen, who just returned to town after a series of meetings as the NFL owners' labor head, added that while he shared a healthy communication level with his top two personnel executives, Shanahan and Sundquist's relationship was marred by an obvious personality clash. And, with Shanahan "the top guy in that part of the building," Bowlen sided with his football operations chief.

"I often, in my business and football careers, have had to get rid of people I couldn't get along with or communicate with, and I think it was a classic case of that," Bowlen said.

With Sundquist out of the picture, player personnel director Jim Goodman, assistant general manager Jeff Goodman and chief operating officer Joe Ellis will have expanded roles in the decision-making process.

Skeptics, though, envision Shanahan having an even more all-encompassing role in the team's power structure.

But such a viewpoint perhaps fails to consider Bowlen's overriding influence, which appears to have grown this offseason. The team's more restrained approach to free agency, given past failures, was almost entirely at Bowlen's behest. He even intervened in tricky negotiations aimed at retaining popular safety John Lynch.

"It's a misconception," Bowlen said of the perception Shanahan has an autocratic role with the Broncos. "I'm 10 steps from Mike's office, so Mike doesn't have the ultimate power. I'm not off somewhere else. I'm here every day. I have a job. Mike and I discuss a lot of things, just like Joe Ellis and I discuss a lot of things on the business side."

So, he insisted, Shanahan does not have unchecked power.

"I am the check," Bowlen said.

And as the one who signs the checks, it's his prerogative to become more involved, a notion he said "perhaps" is the case this year.

"I'm not used to - and I don't mean this in any braggadocios fashion at all - going 7-9 and missing the playoffs," Bowlen said. "That's not what I'm in the business for. It's no fun at all. And that does get my attention. . . . I want to return to the glory days. I'm not satisfied without having a very significant opportunity to win it all."

He joked his increased involvement "might make it worse" but noted that's part of his responsibility as owner.

"I'm not going to sit still," he said. "This is what I do for a living."

As for the rest of the power structure, Bowlen said he's pleased with the current setup. The player-evaluation area has gotten younger, and "I think we needed that." He was "happy to see" some coaching changes, moves that included Jim Bates' exit as head of the defense and offensive boss Mike Heimer- dinger's decision to return to Tennessee.

As for the seemingly odd timing of Sundquist's departure, Bowlen believes the shake-up "will have minimal effect."

"I don't want to all of a sudden disenfranchise Ted, either," Bowlen said. "Ted's a bright guy, and he deserves credit for being a bright guy. But we have a number of people in that particular area that are working their butts off right now. So I'm not anxiety ridden about it at all."

On the field, the Broncos have signed linebackers Niko Koutouvides and Boss Bailey, safeties Marlon McCree and Marquand Manuel and receiver Keary Colbert, while retaining several of their own free agents, including Lynch, who restructured his deal to stay.

Bowlen believes the club has gone a long way toward correcting - and here again is the word making the rounds at Dove Valley - a dysfunctional season and playing environment, though there's still much work to do.

"For an extended period of time, we brought in big-name guys and a lot of them didn't measure up," he said. "I'm happy with the direction we're going. I've met most, if not all, the free agents we've brought in, and at this stage, I'm pretty comfortable with where we're at."

2. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I read this up till the part it shows a Denver avatar.

3. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    The Rat is a dog **** GM. Not much of a coach without Elway, either. One playoff win over the last decade since Elways departure kinda takes the shine off his "genius".

The article is homer fluff.

Have fun watching Jeff George v2.0 at QB. Maybe the Broncos will be able to score a TD against the Chargers this year. I think that should be the goal going into the season.

4. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Jay Cutlet has been putting in extra work this offseason in an effort to actually beat Rivers and the Chargers. Not sure if that will happen but it may result in Denver actually scoring a TD against us this year.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Donkey propaganda doesn't fly on a Charger board

You guys suck and are holding onto your two Elway Rings and onto Mike Shanahan's scrotum trying to ward off the truth

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Obviously we can't argue that we don't have any rings (yet) but with that in mind...

Hey Orangeman,

The Raiders have three rings. Yes, they're old but I guess that makes them a better team than you in the 2008 season. Huh?

With that said... Your Donko fellas can engaged with the Retards and talk about your old rings through the entire post season AS WE WIN IT ALL!!! :bolt:

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    tl;dr - Broncos suck and OP is a troll.

8. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Donco fan has to tell himself something before they end up leaving their stadium in the 3rd again...crickets chirping...

9. OrangeMan

OrangeMan Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    That joke wasn't even funny and i heard some funny ones in this Forum 2 thumbs down :tdown::tdown And i didn't leave the Stadium at the 3rd i stood for that beat down.

10. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I am not a comedian. I was also forced to spend 9 months of my life in colorado and there is no humor in that either.

11. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    What?!!! Is Chairman Mao editing all the press-relases from Denver these days?

This is big talk for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in consecutive seasons. If you guys make the playoffs one of these years we can all agree you guys are on the right track again! Big "IF"

How's that mastermind doing in the mile-sty city is he still clinging and polishing that lone 2005 AFC West title in the last 10 years?

Stan :rivers17:

12. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    Apparently "Pea Brain-ed" Donkey fans [yes I know and oxymoron] have been hard at work, re-inventing history = example no.1 from one of their websites:

Im so sick and tired of these fairweather DOLT fans. We have been to just as many AFC championship games in the last 3 years as they have. They have been good for 2 years. Whoopdie DOO. THEY HAVE BEEN REBUILDING SINCE THE MID 1990's LMAO. The Broncos already have there rebuilding close to finished our core is VERY young. Marshall, young, Elvis, and the best QB in the AFC West Jay Cutler. We are gonna crush the AFC west as soon as we dont have half of our team hurt. The Chargers are a joke and so are there fairweather fans. We rebuild in 2 years you guys take almost 2 decades. You guys will have a good team for 2 more years, and thats when LT is finished from him having to carry Cry me a River. He is getting old and runningbacks dont last long, it is sad that LT will never win a super bowl. Such a great talent wasted because the Chargers took too long to REBUILD.

example no. 2

All we lost was Al Wilson and Jake Plummer. We drafted a FRANCHISE future H.O.F. QB the very next year. And then we had 2 injury plagued seasons where more than half of our starters were out most of BOTH seasons. You guys had one team in the 90s that ever did anything. And no teams that really did any thing in the 80's so maybe you guys are rebuilding for nearly 3 decades. I still cant believe a comment you made about if we traded Travis Henry and our Oline to the Chargers for LT and their Oline THAT THE CHARGERS WOULD HAVE A BETTER RECORD. Our O line needs so much help Rivers couldnt do half as good as Cutler did. Cutler is battletested SEC quarterback playing with marginal talent going up against the best teams week in and week out in college. He would thrive with LT he would have over a 98 QB rating THIS year. Riversownsdonks haha. 2 years buddy. Denver has owned the AFC West since Oakland won its last superbowl. Except for a few years. RIGHT NOW you are the team to beat but you arent that far ahead of Denver. Denver has most of the pieces already lined up to destroy the AFC West.

My guess is that the Donkey fans are no acustomed to whipping our arses 3 of the last 4 years and are in complete mental denial, a common mental disorder caused by depression and anxiety and bad football management. I remember we all suffered through this from 1984 to 1991 and from 1996 to 2003, thankfully we have AJ Smith the clear thinking bastard and talent evaluating beast that he is and now we have the entire division by the throat! All we have to do is show up, play our game and come out of any stadium with a "W" especially Mile High/Invesco whatever it's called...I guess that 64-6 beating they took at our hands, they took personally!?

Other teams fans just can't stand to see our success, it shows.

Stan :rivers17"

13. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Aren't the Donkeys currently in the NFL "B" league? You know, the one where the Raiders reside. Who cares about this "B" league team anyway?

14. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    We're going to beat the crap out of the Donkeys again next year. It's going to be fun to watch. :abq2: :bolt: :abq1:

15. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I love our division. We have a 6-0 record before the first game is even played. :yes:

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Hahahahahaha!!! :icon_rofl:

O-man, you're going to get tired of it here REAL SOON if you keep posting that shiit. :yes:

And your precious John Elway can KMA - pulled the same crap as She-li & will always be a punk in my book.

17. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Cu-N-tler and the Rat couldnt' even manage to score a touchdown against us last year. They have no clue what they're doing on either side of the line, and they think that Boss Bailey and Marlon MEcree will bolster their defense. They're basically that cockroach that you put in the sink and he's slowly circlying the drain trying to hang on for dear life.

Maybe if the Donks took signed the other Jay Cutler as QB, they'd have a better chance.

[​IMG]

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Boss Bailey - always injured and never could play up to snuff even for a defense starved team like the Lions
    Marquand Manuel - cashed in on a big year in Seattle and sucked ever since
    Marlon Mcree - Snicker
    Keary Colbert - was given a million chances to start next to Steve Smith and sucked *** every time
    Niko Koutouvides - backup, don't know much about him

Let me get this straight; last year you guys were jumping around since you signed some actually good players (or players who had been good at some point) like Stokley and Bly and Henry and Graham and Sam Adams and you guys sucked ***. Now you go out and sign POSs, players who couldn't hold onto a job when it was given to them on a silver plate and trash from teams WORSE then yours and you expect to win?

PUH-LEEZE! You suck even more now then ever before and no amount of politburo like press releases will cover the smell of **** permeating Invesco.

With the first selection in the 2009 NFL Draft the Denver Broncos will select................?

19. OrangeMan

OrangeMan Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    Speak English Please

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    :icon_huh: :icon_shrug:

OK, I'll dumb it down for you.

The laughter is about the 6-0 comment as in our wins against your Broncos, the Chiefs, & the Raiders.

Keep posting pro-Bronco articles on a Chargers site & you will continue to be force-fed defecation.

As for Elway, the little punk wouldn't play for the team that drafted him & held up the NFL until he got his way - just like Eli Manning. Therefore, he will always be an athletically talented, but horse-faced chicken-**** little biotch in my opinion.

Is that plain enough English for you??

• Like Like x 1
  21. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    BURN!!!!:trout:

22. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I just dont get some folk. Since McCree left there are a bunch of people who act like they never celebrated the hard hits they guy has laid on some WR in the Chargers back-field.

He is a hard hitting safety. Not the greatest to play the game, but a good player. You all can post 'snicker' all you want, he is a good player. He was for us, he will be for them. We will still win, but he might get a jacked up shot on VJ or other Charger, and that is not something I consider 'snicker' worthy... Just my .002 cents.

23. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

I agree with you 100%. McCree bashing seems to be all the rage, just like it was with Jammer for years. People seem to forget how our secondary performed the years prior to McCree being here and how much better it was the two years he was here. That wasn't a coincidence. He boneheaded play against the Pats has somehow translated to him being an inferior football player.

The reason why he is no longer a Charger is because of Weddle's progress not because he is a bad football player. It's very similar to Ben Leber leaving when Merriman was ready to take over.

• Like Like x 1
  24. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    McCree is a pretty good player despite of that bone head play against that Patsies but like you said "he's really not needed here anymore."

25. SuperCharger21

SuperCharger21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Great comparison. The situation is pretty much identical. However, now that McCree is a Donkey, I hope he falls on his face.

26. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    The problem was that all he did was make ONE (at most two) hard hits a game, and yeah I cheered them same as everyone. Unfortunately that was one good play and the rest of the time he'd be out of position, cover poorly and fail to tackle correctly. And that doesn't even get into his interceptions. His hits? Yeah I cheered. Everything else I booed and rightfully so.

27. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I liked McCree a lot. He's a good player. Better than average safety. And yes, he did make a big hit every now and then. My problem with him was his poor decision making. Stupid penalties at the wrong time, etc. His mental game needed a lot of work.

28. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    McCree had an impact on teaching some of the Charger DB's the finer points of the game il;n his first season. He could deliver a big hit, but like some power hitters in baseballl, he wiffed on some, too, because he WAS out of position or trying to ring some guys chimes instead of just putting him on the ground. I think his play began to tail off last season, making the decision to go with the developing Weddle not real difficult. I like bone jarring hits as well as anyone, but the fact is, it doesn't matter how you put the guy on the ground, just as long as you drop him when you get to him. McCree wasn't doing that consistently. I bet that Hart wins a few converts this season, playing alongside Weddle and with two seasoned and really talented corners on the edges.

29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I won't miss McCree taking bad angles on tackles & passes. Hart will definitely benefit from having Weddle in the secondary.

I don't hate McCree or anything close to it. I just don't think he's Charger material. We have better. :yes: