1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Drayton Florence fined for hit on Schaub

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Shamrock, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
  2. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Deserved, imo. You can't lead with the helmet like that.

3. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Thats ridiculous

It was a clean hit in the middle of a play, he did nothing wrong. Schaub was trying to make a play and got lit up, thats all that happened.
    [​IMG]

Also, why so much?? I mean when Nathan Vasher loaded up and went helmet to helmet with Philip Rivers WAY after he threw the ball, he was fined 5k, why does Flo lose 15k??

4. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    I like how Houstons OL guys didnt even do anything about it :lol:

BTW, if Florence hits Brady like that he is probably fined more and in all teh papers saying " how dare he hit americas pretty boy"

That said..............i hope he does hit Brady like that next time we play them.

As Rodney said " sometimes unneccessary roughness, is neccessary"

5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    While it was a perfectly legal hit, Drayton's a fukkin' moron for doing it. He should know that a crackback on a QB is gonna get you a penalty every time! Seriously, how many more stupid penalties will it take before this guy pulls his head outta' his azz? He's a liability at this point.

And if he did that in a close game we'd all be screamin' bloody murder. Dude can't make an important play so he chooses to light up the most protected player on the field. Stupid.

6. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    I agree with Houston's coach, it should've been more sever.

It was stupid, it was pointless, it was poor sportsmanship, and it was cheap.

The guy needs to learn. He's an asshat.

7. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Draytons going to pull this stuff in a playoff game this year and cost us a 15 yard penalty.

The guy is never going to learn and is a liability.

8. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
    I agree, it was during the play. But...

There is an NFL rule that doesn't allow you to block/hit a player if he's out of the play. Which is why the penalty was assed 15 yards from where Cro picked off the pass. I think that rule is TOTAL BS, and in this case, Schaub started to move toward the flow of the play. He was just 30 yards away.

9. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    I know what you mean, like really, How was it out of the play?????
    Cro was returning the ball and Schaub was running TOWARDS cro, why should he geta free pass to make the tackle??

I mean lets just say flo didnt touch him and schaub ends up tackling cro and stripping the ball, then what? Everyone would be complaining that flo didnt make the block and just us the ball and maybe a TD

Just because hes a QB doesnt mean he gets a free pass. If hes running towards the ball carrier, he better have his head on a swivel and be prepared to take a shot

10. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

I agree. He didn't hit him while his back was turned, he waited until Schaub went after Cromartie. This happens ALL OF THE TIME on interception returns, and players have to be aware of it happening. Florence is a bonehead though, and he didn't have to target Schaub, but I don't think that it was deserving of a 15 thousand dollar fine.

11. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Like it or not QBs are protected and everyone on the field knows it. It's in your blood as a defensive player to want to get a piece of a QB when he's vulnerable. But by now D'Flo has got to understand the rule as it pertains to NFL QBs. On a play like that, he still could have hit him, but just not high like that... the referee is watching him so closely... just use your arms and get up under his pads... push him back hard enough and he'll go down... it just won't look as bad.

12. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Why not just put flags on QB then? or how about having a two hand touch rule for QBs??

Are QBs not football players??

13. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I agree with you man, they should NOT be protected. But they are. So D'Flo is just a stupid sumbiitch for doing what he did. Good QBs are an endangered species. The NFL makes a lot of money when teams score more points. Tough to do that when the QBs are gettin' jacked up and sittin' on the bench.

You get away with those hits in HS, JC, and most college games... but not the NFL. Just can't do it. everyone knows it. A select few dumbazzes like D'flo just choose to ignore it. And it always costs their team. Luckily this time it didn't lose the game for us.

14. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I don't know if you're running towards the play you should be fair game, yea he may not have made a play, by why even risk that that he does get in the play.

If you don't want to get hit and want to be treated like a *****, then act like one and jog off the field like a *****.

Although Flo probably shouldn't have gone head hunting.

15. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    dude

a hit on the opposing QB is never pointless

florence is the man

16. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Damn straight nickelbolt. Agree with you totally. Man, I thought DFlo learned to not do stupid stuff like that after the NE loss last year. Man, when you're "hood", you're always "hood" I guess. It was stupid imo. I mean like some of you have mentioned, if that was done to PR we would have screamed bloody murder. I mean, Schaub was trying to make a play but you didn't have to hit him helmet to helmet. Just push the dude or tackle him in the shoulder. Just a dumb, dumb play. That could be the last straw for him being here next year in A.J.s mind. Don't think AJ isn't keeping tabs of these things. He's at strike TWO in my book. C-ya DFlo. Cro, Jammer and Oliver are going to take over. The sad thing is I bet NE picks him up next season.....:no:

17. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    NE can have Florence.

You forgot my man, Cletus "Flash" Gordon !!!

:bolt:

18. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I don't get it

On one hand, you're agreeing with him...but amidst the same breath, you do a complete 180 and say that Florence shouldn't have done it. :icon_huh:

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    **** that.

Florence is a football player.

I refuse to call someone a "stupid sonofabich" just because the officials/NFL baby QBs too much.

20. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Gordon??

Is that scrub still on the team???

Youre insane if you think Gordon is even 1/10th the player florence is

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Schaub had about as much chance of making that play as I did from my living room. Yeah, maybe QBs are protected too much, but it was an unnecessary hit. Flo is a liability - seems he learned NOTHING from last year's playoff game. A simple push to the ground would have sufficed.

I can't say why his penalty was more sever than Vasher's, but it was deserved, IMO.

22. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    [​IMG]

What a bunch of BS.

23. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    put a dress on the QB's...

and youse D-Flo haters should start wearing one too....:yes:

the dude plays agressive... I love it...

24. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +345
    Schaub, and everyone else on the field needs to have their head on a swivel.... It was a nice hit to watch, however, it was also borderline helmet to helmet... I don't want to see that chit in the playoffs... because it was FLO, it makes me worry, since he was one of many factors for the loss vs Pats last year in the playoffs...

25. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    It looked like Schaub was trotting toward the sideline more than anything. Whether any of us think it's legit or not, Drayton will do something dumb in a playoff game just like PhilipRivers#1 said, and it could possibly help our opponent keep a drive alive.

26. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Schaub WAS the last man in the way of Cro's first TD and he WAS taking steps to go attempt to slow down Cro again.

That hit WAS mostly left shoulder pad and forearm. Yeah its high. Helmet to helmet and leading with his helmet is just BS.

If it was a Merriman hit, we'd be flooded with "lights out" posts. You guys ripping Merriman for his hit to Holmes now too? That was truly helmet to helmet and intentional. I doubt it. This one is Flo though, so bombs away.

27. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Agreed. I probably could have pushed Schaub to the ground right there. It's not like he was tearing us up.

28. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    The key ingredient to this equation is QUARTERBACK. That's it. Any other player and it would not have been a penalty.

Anyone remember Warren Sapp destroying that OLineman from Green Bay several years ago? NO PENALTY. He launched himself into the guy when he had no chance at making a play. But no referee was paying attention to an OLineman. They're all looking at the QB.

That's the point. Everyone on the field knows the QB is protected and being watched. Just be smart about lighting the guy up. You know every time you hammer him there's a 50/50 chance you're gettin' called for something. So you better make sure it's 100% legal before you go whacking him right in front of the referee.

Drayton is a dunce.

29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I like how Drayton makes one **** up in a playoff game and suddenly him doing so in every playoff game he'll ever play in is as automatic as the coin toss.

But I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, Nate Kaeding immediately sealed his reputation for "always missing game winning FGs in the playoffs" after missing the one against the Jets before he even had a chance to further cement it against New England.

30. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    He went high, that's the only reason he got flagged and fined. Other than that, Schaub better keep his head on a swivel. It was a good play other than going high.