1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Drew Brees MNF vs. Falcons

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Sep 25, 2006.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    If I am dirt poor and I don't own a car, if I am an invalid or care for one and don't have adequate transportation, how am I supposed to get out of town?

The majority of the people who were left behind had no way to get out. They didn't simply decide to stay. Sure, some of them did. But alot of them could not get out. To order an evacuation and then not provide means to evacuate is ridiculous.

Anyway, I'm done discussing this BS. Bravo to ESPN and the NFL for showing the devastation in New Orleans, along with showing the hope provided by the Saints' home opener.

Now, back to talking about football...

2. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I think the federal government could have done some things better after Katrina hit.

But I also think there are some things that are so big they're beyond the ability of any governmental entity to cope, and I think that's largely what happened in New Orleans. I think the same thing would have happened regardless of who was in the White House at the time, just like I think 9-11 would have happened regardless of whether or not Clinton "got Bin Laden."

• Like Like x 1
  3. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    If again.

Ok if the person was dirt poor and did not have a car but could walk to get out of town then walk like there is no tomorrow for the person to get out of town.

I do not apologize for these as well.

Being dirt poor is not an excuse for a person not to get them selves out of a town that is crumbling in front of them or in this case flooding before their very eyes.

It becomes the dirt poor persons responsibility not the Governments to get those people out of town.

It is also not my responsibilty to help them get out of town that I am in a different state and not able my self to get out there to help get them out during the castastrophe.

4. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156

Uhhh, to somewhere where they don't have to float. How about to the higher lying portions of New Orleans for one. Had good Mr. Nagins spent 2 hours thinking this through ahead of time he could have saved hundreds or thousands of lives. He had fleets of school buses at his disposal. Even a staged evac would be better than what they had, which was nothing.

5. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Breeser is on Best Damn Sports Show period right NOW...

6. O'reilly

O'reilly New Member

Ratings:
    +454
    Sad that that "tool of a mayor" was re-elected by the very people he miserably failed...:no:

7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Thers no accountin for taste, Bro!!:no: :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

8. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,357
    You mean like the black people who tried to walk across the bridge to get out and were turned back by racist, shotgun toting cops who were trying to protect their town from refugees because they happened to be African-American?

The responsibility of FEMA is to prevent and plan for natural disasters, to protect people and property in the wake of disasters. Again, if we are going to expect that every person just fend for themselves, then what's the purpose of government? Or laws for that matter?

If we are going to elect a government, that government needs to look out for the safety and welfare of its citizens. The purpose of government is to create a structure under which its citizens will live more fruitful lives than if they had to fend for themselves. "Every man for himself" should not be the attitude of the government.

9. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,357
    Do me a favor. If you are going to quote me, don't edit my posts.

10. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Something funky happened in this thread that caused the last few quoted posts to be attributed to the wrong person. Even your quote was quoting the wrong guy. It's fixed now.

11. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    :icon_eek: :no: :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

12. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,357
    OK, my bad. I thought someone was editing my quotes. For a minute I thought I was on the UT board. :icon_rofl:

I'm about to start the mother of all bannable threads at the UT board. That place has gone to ****, and I'm ready to go out in a blaze of glory. When you complain to the mods about how the place is overrun with trolls, their response is, "put them on ignore."

13. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    It wasn't you Toby. Something happened it this thread that caused everyone to quote the wrong person.

14. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Yup...you can see it start to fall apart acuppola pages ago.

15. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Where is the fun in that?

16. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,357
    Conc, why the hate Conc? Where's the love? :icon_shrug:

:icon_rofl:

:icon_banana:

17. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Your a great guy too!

:lol:

18. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820

19. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Ok here we go.

In your first paragraph please direct me where to look on the incident because I did not hear or see anything?

In your second paragraph you said the FEMA is suppose to prevent Natrural Disasters. How was FEMA to prevent Katrina from hitting New Orleans?

Planning does nothing unless there is a will to work them when Katrina happened as part of your second paragraph there was very little to no will to do them. Laws are useless unless there is a will to enforce them at all levels to include all the way down to the individual person.

In your third paragraph the Constitution is the law of the general land of the USA. It is also the States responsibility to enforce that law and also to enact laws that will assist that particular state to include enforcement. The State of Louisiana before and during Katrina did very little to nothing in the enforcement of their own laws at the time and wanted the Federal Government to come in and do it for them via FEMA, Army Corp of Engineers including other Federal Governmental agencies to do all the work while Louisiana did very little to nothing of their own. Louisiana is a Welfare State and wanting someone else to do all the work for them while they do little to nothing at all to help themselves. Katrina is the prime example on how a Welfare State is hit with the catastrophe which was Katrina does very little to help themsleves and wanting someone else do all the work for them is all about.

20. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    you can't blame fema for Katrina can you. I admire The city of New Orleans for the way they have been able to show courage in the worst possible situation and the Saints are the life force of the city at the moment:tup:

21. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The people were too lazy to get out of the way of the storm and they knew it was coming got what they deserved. :yes:

If I know a tidal wave is coming and I can walk - then walk. Move your *** and do not wait to be taxi cabbed by Uncle Sam.

That is soo messed up even thinking I am going to wait and sacrifice my life or my families life by waiting for any cocsucker so I put on the shoes and getting the fuc out. Those who sat and waited were idiots.....if they are disabled then that is different but if you can walk - then get out. That is a no-brainer.

22. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,357
    Dude, if you didn't see it, try reading a mainstream paper or watching the news. The story of the refugees turned back by the cops was featured on 60 Minutes, as well as in many other places. This is not some wild rumor. This happened. People were stranded on a bridge for days, a couple even died, because some uptight white suburb didn't want to darken their population with people who had nowhere to go.

FEMA's job is to prepare for and respond to natural disasters. Those that were too weak or otherwise unable to evacuate prior to the storm were told to go to the Superdome and a few other civic centers to take refuge from the storm. They followed instructions, did what they were supposed to do, only to reach these places of refuge and not have any basic services. Not enough food rations, not enough water, no working toilets of any kind.

The handling of Katrina was a f-u-c-k up on the grandest scale. The residents of New Orleans were treated like they lived in a remote village in the Andes. The government failed miserably. That failure starts at the top with a President who appointed a complete moron to run FEMA, a President who didn't even cut his vacation short until three days after the hurricane hit, a President who, in his great wisdom, said, "Your doing a heckuva job, Brownie," even as the people Brownie was charged with helping were waiting for days to be evacuated.

I don't know what you mean when you refer to Louisiana as a Welfare State. Many of the people killed in Katrina were sick or elderly. They weren't just waiting around, sitting in their own filth and screaming for the federal government to help them. They had no way to help themselves. They'd lost everything. The city was flooded. There was no power, no food, no running water. They had nowhere to go. They were abandoned.

As Americans, we should all be ashamed of what happened. We are supposed to be a country where that sort of stuff does not happen, where we protect the welfare of our citizens. Isn't that why we spend billions on national defense? To insure the safety of US citizens?

Why is the life of a poor black person from Louisiana worth less than a white investment banker from NYC? To blame Katrina's victims for creating their own problems would be like blaming WTC victims for working in a building that was a known terrorist target.

23. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Thank you Thank you Thank you Trumpie because the person who wants to wait for the Uncle Sam Cab Company to arrive at their doorstep to pick them up is a fool who deserves to be swept away with the flood.

The person that has two capable feet that can walk. Get your happy @$$ to steppin otherwise you will be that statstic of all the dead.

Where I do have the problem with the State of Louisiana's Government is the Disabled people that were not given all that much in the help department which they needed and assisted with where they had way too many casualties in the Katrina castastrophe.

I do not place any blame on the Federal Government for the affects before or during the Katrina Hurricane including even after the the affects of the disaster. I place all the blame on the Louisiana's Government for not doing enough before including during the Katrina Hurricane to help in the work to get the City of New orleans protected in the Katrina Catastrophe including the individual people to protect themselves in that same light or in this instance darkest hour of need.

A person seeing a stampede of any kind of big wild animals coming after them it is there responsibility to get out of the way of the stampede not a Governments to do it because it is in the wild and in the wild there is no law or Government that can really protect anyone from the catastrophe like Katrina.

This is going to sound over the top but for boltssbbound. The US Government will have to, to protect its citizens from a hurricane these States will have to be abandoned to Ghost town status including American Territories on the East Coast only:

Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine to also include all American Territories on the Atlantic Ocean.

I do not think that is what you want as protection with any US., State or local Government against a hurricane boltssbbound because it is the only way to protect its citizens from that kind of disaster is total abandonment, to not ever live there again for the protection of the people.

24. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,357
    You are insane. I pray to God you are a convicted felon or to apathetic to vote. To suggest that the federal government is in no way responsible for their response to Katrina is one of the most ludicrous comments I've ever read.

Lots of people don't abandon their neighborhoods and property prior to a natural disaster. I agree that it's stupid not to. But that doesn't mean those people deserve to die.

We could have spent the same amount of money as we did in the aftermath of Katrina and saved hundreds more lives, if only the people in charge knew what they were doing, if only they had an adequate plan of action. They did not, and many more died than was necessary.

25. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    I didn't follow the Katrina "fueds" as closely as many of you did.... Doesn't the buck stop with the state of LA???? I'd start my finger pointing at the local level, first at least with respect to preparedness.... The responses on both the local and federal level... IIRC had "holes"

26. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820

:icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

27. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    True story.

During the Katrina disaster my cousin was on a routine Navy exercise in a rescue helicopter. They are called SARS (Search and Rescue Seals).

At any rate, they are in the New Orleans area and they hear a "may-day" and respond. Long story short, they rescued some civilians.

They got reprimanded for not returning to base and using federal property against orders yada yada yada.

The crews *** was in a sling facing court martial proceedings. :icon_eek: :yes:

Some of us banded together to get our local congressman involved and for obvious and maybe not so obvious reasons, it went "away".

Your federal government hard at work !!! :tdown: