1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

DTV - Football, NHL, NBA now Baseball?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by leisure, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I love my D T Veeeeeeeeeee.....

2. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    I may have to break down and get DTV... Just don't want to pay for all of the equipment that comes with it...

I also love my "On Demand" Cable.

3. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
    Well,it's all about the money. MLB got paid over $700 Million from D* for the exclusive rights to Extra Innings. I used to get that package, but it sucks. There could be 20 games on and you'll get one of them. Then other days, you'll get all 20. MLB really restricts what areas get to see out of market teams.

I think this is a BAD move for MLB because it reduces their exposure. They are now locked into ONE kind of customer, when televising games is only one part of MLB.

4. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    You can get the equipment free as a first time subscriber. But you will probably have to dish out some money for the HD DVR reciever if you get one. They cant keep those in stock very long. Regular price for those are $299 in stores but DTV let me have it for $199.........still sucks but its better than $299. You still may get a better deal being a new customer.

I do wish i could get on demand but oh well. I hate Cox cable so im good.

5. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Yeah even if i paid for it, in previous years i couldnt get the Padre games being in Vegas so i never signed up for it. I think its BS.....if you pay for it...you should be able to get anything....even if your in San Diego.

6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,580
    That was another gripe of mine. Cable Channel 4 has exlusive rights for ALL padre games. Even if I had the extra-innings package, I still couldn't watch them as Cox owns Channel 4 and won't uplink to D*. I'd still be blacked out if another channel that D* has was showing the game as well.

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I think I read somewhere Verizon is in negotiation with DTV to broadcast the NFL Ticket across phone/cable systems which have the FIOS (fiber optic stuff) upgrades to the premises......

I may have dreamed it or read it so I am not sure. :lol: anyway - heads up.

8. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,580
    Nope, you didn't dream it. Verizon might have the $$$$ to feed D*.

FIOS is the ****! 50 mb pipe for data, huge bandwidth for HDTV. Too bad it isn't in socal yet.

9. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I think this is something Alderson was for so not sure how this relates to Channel 4 ..

10. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40

It won't effect Channel 4 at all.

11. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    This is a bummer...this year I will get a Slingbox.

12. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    That would be awesome. I have comcast up here and plan on getting a portable DirectTV setup for football season as well. Where I live, they have FIOS available, but don't allow DTV dishes to be installed. I guess it's not a big deal anyway because I should have a house bought by the time the 7 month lease runs out at this apartment.

13. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,580
    Local Cable Channel 4 is owned by Cox Communications. Because the Padres want local exposure, Cox has worked a deal so that Time Warner also carries the channel (Adelphia also carried it).

Cox will not allow D* to carry Channel 4. Therefore, the only way you can watch the Padres in SD county is on Channel 4 ob cable.

If you subscribe to D* MLB Extra Innings package and live in SD County, you won't get to see the Padres on any other Channel even if they're playing the Dodgers and the game is being shown on one of the Fox Sports channels (which carries Dodger games). That's because Cox Channel 4 owns the rights to Padres games.

Games carried nationally on Fox aren't affected. Last year, games played in SD that were also shown on ESPN were also blacked out in SD County.

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    FIOS is not in San Diego County but Riverside and a few others have it - not everywhere but it is here in So Cali. :yes: Murrietta was the first So. Cali city to get it.

15. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I'm guessing he is interested in the national exposure for out of market. I just remember that the fools on Too Much Show spoke briefly about it and it sounded like a positive thing ..

16. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Just as I was moving from Richmond Verizon was putting in FIOS where I used to live. Now in Austin, I am waiting and hoping I can get FIOS someday. :icon_sad:

17. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I refuse to get a direct tv because of all this "exclusive rightS" bullshit.

Fvck DTV. I'll just go watch the games @ hooters.

18. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Verizons swings their meat in Texas as well.

Keller Texas was the first test city to get FIOS so.....

19. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Not in Austin yet, buggers need to hurry up laying that pipe. If ya get my meaning. :icon_tease:

20. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,580
    It's not completely D*'s doing. MLB & NFL are asking for the money. D* is paying for it. Look at how Sirius has the NFL locked up for it's radio service, and XM has MLB. Happens more than we think.