1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Dwyer WANTS San Diego

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Feb 27, 2010.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I'm not a big Dwyer fan, but it looks like he really wants the Chargers to draft him.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_/name/combine-2010
    Mathews said the same thing, obviously they know they have a good chance to start right away, I'm sure there are 25 or 30 guys who'd love to come to SD right now.

2. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    That's my boy!! :tup:

3. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I'm just not sold.

I know Norv loves to pound his head into the wall running up the middle on every play, but at some point you have to be able to bounce outside, swing out for a pass, or reach the edge.

I'd rather have Mathews if both are on the board at 28.

4. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Yeh even linebackers like dansby and porter and everyone we don't want!

5. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    There is a starting RB position WIIIIDDDEE open on a 13-3 team behind a Pro Bowl QB in a city with the best weather in the country.........of course they want to come here.:yes:

6. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    There are a lot of people who are not sold on Dwyer. I have watched him run for 3 years and I am sold. However, I talk to a lot of friends of mine on other sites who are not sold on Matthews either.

For a guy 225 lbs he can bounce it to the outside. He is built just like Shonn Greene with as much agility, but not as much top end speed. He is not a homerun threat everytime he touches the ball but I really do not see anyone with that other than Spiller and Best. Spiller will be long gone, and Best has the concussion issues and I do not want to end up with someone like Brian Westbrook every year only playing 10-12 games.

Not to mention Dwyer has a ridiculous stiff arm and puts it on display quite often.

I prefer Dwyer but would be happy with either.

7. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Hey guys, I'd love to play for San Diego too!! Think I have a chance?

lol. but seriously we'll get a better comparison of Mathews and Dwyer at the combine.. Whoever runs faster will probably be who we get but IMO it will be very close. Dwyer has a great burst though. Either one would be great but after watching this, I'm not too sold on Dwyer

8. cool arrow

cool arrow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    INDIANAPOLIS – Jonathan Dwyer believes he was the first running back San Diego interviewed at the NFL combine this week.

DwyerThe Georgia Tech running back hopes he is the first player San Diego selects in the NFL draft.

San Diego will be looking for at least one running back as it moves away from the LaDainian Tomlinson era. With backup Darren Sproles headed to free agency, San Diego may have to totally revamp. The Chargers will certainly look at running back with the No. 28 pick.

Dwyer is a real possibility.

He said he had a terrific meeting with several of the Chargers’ brass here. He said he had other meetings but none were as involved and as productive as his meeting with San Diego.

“I think they like me and I know I like them,” Dwyer said. “ I really like coach (Norv) Turner. I think it’d be a great fit … They are a power team and I think it really fits what I do.”

San Diego is clearly talking to several running backs this week, but it may be hard pressed to find a player more individually impressive as Dwyer.

Really?

9. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Have a look at which one has a history of laying the big tater on the turf and you will know the guy I don't want.:icon_eek:

10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556

Mathews is around 220, he's got much quicker feet, acceleration, and top speed. And you could argue is a better inside runner too, and I would say clearly harder to bring down once he reaches the 2nd level....where as Dwyer just runs strait until he gets hit.

Dwyer doesn't even truly line up 7yds back as a real RB. I just have far too many concerns about his ability to transition to the NFL, and even more into our scheme where Norv values versatility.

11. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Does anyone find it ironic that both dwyer and matthews wear 21 and will be replacing LT21?

12. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I have no idea who we end up with but I will say I don't want a RB that is going to run out of bounds instead of laying wood! All these years of LT running out of bounds really got us nothing in the end. People want a tough OL, then get a running back that will lower his shoulder and show some toughness.

13. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Kind of... Bench results just got in and Mathews did 19 reps while Dwyer only did 15. Mathews isn't as big yet did more reps than Dwyer which shows who's more committed to improving themselves...

14. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Everybody wants to play in SD...

Except LT and Cro.... :lol:

Just saying...

:icon_tease:

15. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    225 right? I can do 3. I guess that means I can't play for the Chargers.:no:

By the way, Darren Sproles did 23 reps(!)

Did the 40 times come in yet? I want to see who's faster between C.J. Spiller and Jahvid Best

16. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Anyone notice Dwyer wears #21. :icon_rofl:

17. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Lol. I cant even get it off the rack. My max was 135 12reps but im only in high school so I still got time to show my worth to the bolts. (yeah right)

Speaking of Sproles, McCluster did 20 reps (!!) If Sproles is gone we could get him. Whoever gets him will get a lot from him.

And no, they start running at 9 AM EST tomorrow, which is 4AM for me yet i'll be watching live on NFL.com! Chee! IMO Spiller will be faster than Best and Mathews will be faster than Dwyer... But we'll see

18. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Yeh i did...

Sproles did 23 reps? Thats as many as gerhart did!!! NO way thats increadible for such a little guy. Why not just have him bulk up 15lbs and be feature back. 5'6" AND 195 woulb be pretty hard to stop. Imagine 200 pounds running straight into your nuts!!!

19. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I'm hoping mccluster is still around in the 3rd round. He'd be an excellent 3rd down change of pace back.

20. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Just keep working out. You just need to get a little older. Once you get into your 20's, your frame will blow up. Keep in mind that those NFL guys are FREAKS of nature and no normal person can lift like they can. :lol:

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    There was a rumor after he and Merriman were drafted that they were up in LA at Muscle Beach, and Sproles out lifted Merriman. The dude is strong no doubt, to bad that doesn't allow him to stay on his feet after a defender touches him

22. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    That is his official highlight video... :lol:

23. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    the way Norv likes to run up the gut we need to get Toby Gerhart frm Stanford with our 2nd pick and get a DT or OT w/ our 1st IMHO :popcorn:

24. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    This might be the way it goes. If a good OT is there, I think we take him. It's just a matter of protecting Rivers instead of improving the offense with a RB. With how good Rivers is, you can't blame them if they go with an OT.

25. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    put together by people who don't want him to get drafted lol

26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    We had the shot to take a quality OT last year and didn't. I highly doubt we take any offensive linemen until the 4th round at the earliest. The line did a good job at protecting Rivers, and that is the most important thing in this offense.

If we go line early, and get a tackle or guard that is from a college that runs the ball, then I will admit I was wrong. But if we ignore the line, or go after another pass blocking guy like Vasquez who never had to run block in college, then it will just show this organization doesn't care about running the ball effectively

27. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Hey, nobody replaces ME around here! :lol:

28. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    lol, I just can't wait to see who drafts Dwyer so I can tell you guys "I told you so".

29. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    wrong 21. sorry man. you're not goin anywhere

30. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Cj Spiller just ran a 4.28 in the 40, Dwyer 4.59, and Matthews I think was 4.45