1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Dynamic CB Anticipates Fourth Meeting with SD

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Thumper, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    By Michael Lombardo
    SDBoltReport.com

With the Bolts short on draft picks, A.J. Smith will target versatile players who can fill more than one need. That explains why one prospect, who is both a ball-hawking cornerback and a sure-handed kick returner, is planning his fourth meeting with the team this offseason. SDBoltReport.com explains why the Chargers just can’t get enough of this electrifying player.

The Chargers have made a habit of meeting with Colorado cornerback Terrence Wheatley this offseason. It started at the Senior Bowl, where Wheatley impressed scouts with his smooth hips and explosive second gear. The fascination continued at the NFL Combine, where the Chargers met with him again to learn more about his life off the field.

San Diego officials were obviously impressed with what they heard, as a pair of scouts attended Wheatley’s Pro Day earlier this month. Wheatley (5’9”, 175 pounds) saw the Bolts’ interest crescendo this week, as he revealed in an exclusive interview with SDBoltReport.com that he believes he is setting up a private workout with the Chargers in the near future.

Wheatley is confident he has a lot to offer the defending AFC West Champions.

“I’m a focused, driven player and a tough guy,” Wheatley said. “I’ve been through a lot in my college career and I’m still showing up every day. I bring a type of dedication and focus. I try to be a student of the game as much as possible. I’m the type of guy who’s going to do whatever it takes to get on the field and make plays.”

Wheatley has made a career of big plays. He left Colorado tied for third on the school’s all-time interceptions list (14). He also established a school record for single-season kickoff return yards as a senior, bringing back 37 kicks for 919 yards (24.84-yard avg.). He was named first-team All-Big 12 by the Associated Press and league coaches.

Wheatley’s diverse skill-set would be a perfect fit in San Diego. He would challenge Paul Oliver for the nickel back spot made vacant by Drayton Florence’s offseason departure. He could also replace Darren Sproles on punt returns, which would give the Bolts a more consistent return man while allowing Sproles to concentrate on his expanding offensive role.

Wheatley has savored his frequent meetings with the Chargers coaching staff. He sees such meetings not only as auditions, but as learning opportunities.

“There are a lot of little things that you can’t get away with (in the NFL) that you did in college. They help you with that” he said. “Also, just using your eyes on pre-snap reads and stuff like that. They point out all of the little details that you probably didn’t pay attention to in college that can definitely help you on the pro level.”

Wheatley boasts blazing speed (4.37 40-yard dash) and a big-play mentality. If added to the mix with Antonio Cromartie and Quentin Jammer, he could give the Bolts the most dangerous backfield in the NFL.