1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Eagles continue shakeup on defense by releasing Trotter

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Aug 21, 2007.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp07/news/story?id=2984329&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

• Like Like x 1
  2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    He'll be a Bronco or Patriot by the end of the week.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    oooooh...I know he's 30, but you know...

• Like Like x 1
  4. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Patriots will sign him to a one year, incentive laden deal.

5. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I can't remember does he play inside or outside? But yeah I'm sure Bellydick and Shanarat already have morning wood with this news.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    broncos need a new ILB because they were dumb enough to release their pro-bowl ILB :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    He'll stay in the NFC LEast.

8. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    I've always liked this guy

• Like Like x 1
  9. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Coached by Ron Rivera in Philly early in his career.

• Like Like x 1
  10. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    yah they got alot of young LB talent and also Spikes beat him out for his job

• Like Like x 1
  11. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    should we make a push for him? i mean, if rivera has a connection w/ him that would only up our chances...

he had decent stats last year: 113 tackles...88 solo, 25 asst...w/ 1 forced fumble and 1 INT.

the eagles ranked 14th among NFC teams in rush defense.

but still, i'd be more comfortable w/ a "veteran" manning the middle (w/ wilhelm being injured and all) so that the SS (Shawne & Shaun) can wreak havoc on the outside

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I always hesitate to say "let's get that guy" when a name player is released, mainly because if a name player is being released there's probably a real good reason for it.

When Al Wilson was released from the Broncos is piqued my interest... but then again, if he was the Al Wilson of old why would the Donks have released him?

With Trotter however you can see the reasoning. Spikes is an excellent ILB, they have young talent and depth on the core, so Trotter becomes a fairly high-priced luxury.

So I wouldn't mind bringing in Trotter for a look-see. The guy tends to make big-plays in big-games and you can never have enough guys like that. It would be nice to have that depth at ILB right about now. But if he wants to go somewhere and be a starter this might not be the place for him.

This is one of the rare times when I would like to see the Chargers go after a name guy who got released--but going after him doesn't mean we'll get him. Ultimately it will be up to him where he goes and he'll likely want to go somewhere where he'll be a starter right away.

• Like Like x 1
  13. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    well said Thunder and I completely agree w/ you. the only problem I hear about AJ is that he is unwilling to bring in outside talent through FA, but I think it would be worth giving Trotter a look and having him come in and get examined by our talent, conditioning, and medical staff.

just because we look at him doesn't necessarily mean we'll sign him. maybe we'll agree w/ the Eagles but then we'd get a good look at him before he signs w/ the Broncs or Pats. :tup:

14. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    He's not unwilling, he's just very selective. The guys he brings in have to be the right fit for our system and our team and he won't go get a guy who wants a $40 million contract. We don't have enough money under the salary cap to do that now anyway.

And yeah, maybe the reason the Eagles let him go is because he's done. If that's the case the Bolts won't take any action on him at all.

15. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    They recommended that he retire at 30. That's the weird part to me. ILBs don't last long (unless they're ankle biters, ha), but he's a 260 lb former Probowler. Can he play in a 3-4? Or learn it real quick? We can sure use some depth, but he'd be a starter on most teams, and since he's not a cover LB he wouldn't start on ours. Cooper, with a few years in our system, would start for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  16. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Jeremiah won't even smell the surf of San Diego this season... unless he's there on vacation.

17. oldschool1

oldschool1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    The guy's price is too high and he's too old to have to learn a new system (in a new environment). Sure, he can bring veteran leadership and experience to a team but he'll be a mentor to his eventual replacement (see Flutie).

People are telling him to retire.

He should take notes from Seau and get a clue.

Oldie Out

• Like Like x 1
  18. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I just find it hard to believe that at 30 the guy is done and needs to retire, but hey, stranger things have happened. If he was 33 or 34 maybe I could see it, but 30? Does he have a lingering injury I haven't heard about or has he just gotten way too slow?

I could also see the Eagles suggesting he retire just because they'd rather not see him go to another team. But hey... that's what AJ and Buddy are for. If he's really done I'm sure they know it as well as anyone would.

19. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    If he can play, if AJ's interested, why not bring him in for a look? It can't hurt and it doesn't cost us a thing to interview/work him out.

I don't really follow the NFC much so I couldn't tell you how much this guy has got left in the tank, but getting beat out by Spikes (who's still very good) shouldn't be the death knell for JT's career.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    It would be hard to shoehorn Trotter into this team this late in the year. He'd have a tought time adjusting to our system and most likely would not be a contributor for at least a third of the season.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    What's wrong with that? If it takes him 5 or 6 games to get adjusted why is that an issue.

If we bring him in it would be for depth and to have another experienced guy for a postseason run. The season will be far from decided a third of the way through, and I for one don't like the thought of what happens if one of our two starters goes down for an extended time.

22. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    As I always say, I'd like him for depth, but only if the money is right.

Doubt we get him though.

23. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    I feel the same way.
    I'm asking some questions about the cat at an eagles board I belong to:icon_twisted:

24. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I heard this rumor again about the possibility of him coming to the Chargers as early as 2 weeks ago. Who knows what happens if Wilhelm doesn't start healing soon.

25. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    How is a guy from a completely different system, at his age, going to contribute more than guys we already have? He doesn't have a clue about our defense and the Iggles run a 4-3, so he has no experience at the specific position. All he'd do is keep our guys from needed practise time.

26. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    you heard a rumor of Trotter coming here? where?

27. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    No .. Al Wilson .. and it was from Jeremy Green, ESPN.

28. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    The rumor was regarding Al Wilson .. not Trotter.

29. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    where is Al Wilson? Still a FA?

30. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Last I heard he was a free agent still .. Was released for an injury (I don't know what it was) and for salary cap room.