1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Eagles getting ready for Chargers

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Oct 17, 2005.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Jun 29, 2009
    Source: <a href="http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/news/12925595.htm" target="_blank">The Philadelphia Inquirer
    By Jeff McLane

After a week off, the Eagles are back... practicing.

And in some cases, the players are even answering questions.

The Eagles, fresh off the bye week and an Andy Reid-granted vacation, went back to work today at the NovaCare Complex in preparation for Sunday's game with the San Diego Chargers.

Eagles safety Brian Dawkins, for one, was happy to be looking forward instead of back to the Oct. 10 drubbing the Eagles took from the Dallas Cowboys.

"It was just good to get back out there to practice your craft, to get that nasty taste out of your mouth," Dawkins said after practice. "To get going towards another week of positive thinking."

Defensive tackle Darwin Walker practiced, but wouldn't discuss his injury (deep thigh contusion) or his status for Sunday's game.

Walker has missed the last three games after suffering a fluke injury in the Friday practice before the Oakland-Raiders game on Sept. 25. It's been especially hard for the six-year pro, considering he got off to the best start of his career with 2 1/2 sacks and a forced fumble in the first two games of the season.

"It's been very taxing without a doubt," Walker said. "Hopefully, I don't have to watch any longer. Hopefully, I can play this weekend. I'm working every day to get better."

But does he think he'll be able to play Sunday?

"I'll let you talk to Andy Reid about that," said Walker.

Reid won't be available for interviews until Wednesday morning.

Walker's return will definitely add depth to a line that has been depleted by injuries. Paul Grasmanis (torn ACL) is gone for the year. Jerome McDougle (gun-shot wound), who is eligible, did not practice today. Trent Cole (hamstring) is listed as questionable and tackles Hollis Thomas (ankle) and Mike Patterson (back) are probable for Sunday, but are still nursing injuries.

Kicker David Akers is, in his words, "still day-to-day."

"It's better than what happened in the Raiders game," Akers said.

Akers tore his hamstring in that game and has set no timetable for his return. He's just following the orders of the Eagles training staff.

"I just go by the tests that they have and certain timelines, as far as when to kick," Akers said. "I just go on what they want me to do.... You got to get strong. You got to get your flexibility. You got to do all these things before you can worry about kicking."

Dawkins, meanwhile, is raring and ready to go, although he didn't spend yesterday watching the Cowboys-N.Y. Giants game, or any other football for that matter.

"I watched Bing Crosby and Abbott and Costello yesterday," Dawkins said. "Two old classics."

Which Bing Crosby movie?

"He played the father... where he had to save the church," Dawkins said.

Dawkins wouldn't relate The Bells of St. Mary to the Eagles' plight this season. Although it's tempting to suggest that many a Birds fan wouldn't mind some help with a season that may need saving, especially if the Eagles lose to the Chargers.