1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Eagles release Shawn Andrews

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Mar 17, 2010.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

Big guard who played tackle at Arkansas, pro bowler at his position. I'd bring him in for a serious look to play RT. Be a MASSIVE (no pun intended) upgrade over Clary and him and Vasquez could just road grade people on the right side

Andrews is a massive body who is versatile enough to play both guard and right tackle. He is an excellent athlete for his size with good initial quickness and lateral agility. He can slide and redirect well in pass protection, and is light on his feet to adjust to stunts and twists. Andrews has great natural strength and utilizes a powerful initial punch to stymie defenders at the line of scrimmage. He can anchor effectively versus powerful bull-rushers.

So GODDAMNIT AJ GO GET HIM NOW!

2. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,806
    I know his agent well :) I'd LOVE it if his guy got to come here, Shawn is a good dude.

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Why are they getting rid of the brother ? :icon_shrug:

What are the issues ?

4. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    Yes, let's sign him before anyone else finds out about him. He is a great big ***et and will help us greatly. His baggage is minimal and it's not that big a hit against our salary cap.

Pointy :icon_twisted:

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I am all for it, but what has Vasguez done to show that he can road grade anyone? He is great at pass blocking, but his run blocking was horrible last year

6. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,806
    his run blocking wasn't that horrible and he made significant improvements as the year went on as any rookie should. part of the problem was his injury as well as learning to work with clary and ski brothers (losing hardwick and then clary and then mruczkowski). oline play relies heavily on consistency and knowing one another's tendencies and way of thinking - most players will tell you it takes a full season to really "gel" so that reactions become automatic b/c you KNOW how the man beside you handles thing and reacts and he knows the same about you.

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    At first glance I'm all for this but I'm curious why Philly cut him.

8. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Vasquez is raw and was getting better. He needs the reps but any upgrades on the right side of the O-line is badly needed. I would think about his fatass at Center....yeah...center.

9. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Per pft...

Andrews underwent back surgery again in December, and his status for training camp was uncertain at best.

Andrews' toughness and motivation was questioned at times in Philadelphia during his recovery from various back ailments. The two-time Pro Bowler has played only two games the last two years and missed the entire 2009 season. He also battled depression in 2008.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/17/eagles-drop-shawn-andrews/

10. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Oh **** :icon_eek: .......

PASS

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Why don't you get off Vasquez' ***, realize that he was a rookie last year, & give him an opportunity to further prove himself? Bashing rookies, especially the ones asked to start on an OL that was riddled with injuries, is pretty short-sighted at best.

I'm betting he's going to turn into a mauler for us.

12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I agree with T-man. Pass. Hell, WE'VE been dealing with depression with all these heartbreaking playoff losses for years so I know how he feels!

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Based on this information I'd want him seriously checked out before signing him

14. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,806
    Agreed.

He's a good guy tho and a hard worker - couldn't hurt to take a look and not base opinions on info from PFT ;)

15. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    HERE'S the only Andrews I want!!!

Erin!

[​IMG]

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Wouldn't that be standard practice? :icon_shrug:

17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Dudes an asshat, don't waste your time.:icon_shrug:

18. RyanLeafComedyCorner

RyanLeafComedyCorner BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    yeah andrews doesn't sound like a viable option. hearing back surgery just makes my head ache.

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm getting that impression, but I swore to myself that I'd try to be nicer here. :icon_rofl:

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I didn't say he won't be able to in the future. I just said he did nothing last year to even assume he will. Yes he can, don't know if he will. Big difference

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I just live in reality and don't assume player will be able to do something in the future that they were bad at in the past. I never said he would never be a good run blocker. I just said he wasn't good last year, so to assume he would be a "road grader" is pretty ridiculous.

He did a great job at pass blocking, and had a very good rookie year. But that doesn't mean he will ever be a great run blocker, it also doesn't mean he won't ever be one. I just wouldn't assume something that hasn't been shown

22. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    F It. Sign him and place him on PUP. :lol:

23. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    A look at the impact of Andrews' long-term deal on his departure
    Posted by Mike Florio on March 17, 2010 7:50 PM ET

Earlier today, the Philadelphia Eagles dumped veteran offensive lineman Shawn Andrews. The move was a long time coming, given a series of injuries and erratic behaviors.

Still, we can't help but wonder whether a connection exists between Andrews' antics and the long-term contract that he negotiated after only two NFL seasons.

He was the 16th overall pick in round one of the 2004 draft. In June 2006, the team offered and Andrews accepted a seven-year extension, which put him under contract through 2015. It was the ultimate example of the Eagles' strategy for managing young players with promise -- sign them to modest extensions before they become stars who will command huge money.

In any other business, this concept of buying low makes sense. In the football business, it's potentially bad business.

Players who have become stars don't want to hear that they accepted the risk that they would outperform the contract when they opted for security. Players who have become stars want to be paid like stars. And when a player who is under contract through 2015 is told by his agent that he has no leverage and no options, the dissatisfaction could have exacerbated the clinical depression Andrews developed in 2008.

A quick tour of Google shows that there apparently is a connection between depression and back trouble. Thus, there's a chance that Andrews would have remained a productive member of the organization if the Eagles hadn't dangled a long-term deal in his face prematurely.

Then again, if the back trouble would have developed with or without the depression, and if the depression would have developed with or without the frustration over a long-term, below-market deal, Andrews never would have gotten a second contract, given that his first one ran through 2008.

Either way, we continue to believe that the Eagles -- who are very smart when it comes to contracts and the defunct (for now) salary cap -- should resist the urge to lock up young players to contracts that the players eventually won't regard as fair.