1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

East Coast Love For Our West Coast QB

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Lancer 1, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
  2. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Rivers is a WAY better QB than Eli, DUH. Look at the stats. Eli got a SB win over the Undefeated Pats, yeah, yeah, yeah, but I give credit to the defense, just as I give credit to the Ravens defense, NOT Trent Dilfer.

3. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    The real qyustion is rivers vs p manning? Who would u rather have? Rivers v brees? I still think rivers. Manning has peaked. Rivers is still on his way up!0

4. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    There some guys calling it straight over there. Most truthy response... "Whoever is wearing a Giants jersey.' For real.

Still some pretty funny homeristic arguments. The non-sensical, 'Eli-plays in New York and is therefore tougher than Rivers.' The uninformed, 'Eli has been playing with fourth string and practice squad recievers and Rivers has Gates, Floyd, and Nanee' (so many things wrong with this I can't count) The imaginary, "Eli is a quiet leader. Rivers is a loudmouth." And the old, tired, and mentally retarded, 'Eli won a SB. End of discussion.'

I think Eli is an above average QB. He played well enough to help an excellent defense win a Superbowl. Can't knock him one bit for that. However, he's still daddy's little bitch and I wouldn't want him representing my home town. But strictly as a QB you could do much much much worse.

And yeah... there is no Eli vs. Rivers discussion. Any discussion has to be Rivers / Manning / Brady. I give it to Manning and Brady so far. They've been excellent for much longer than Rivers. But if Rivers keeps it up...

5. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I find it amusing that all these years later, this is still a topic of conversation. It's silly.

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    would you rather talk about the stinker turkey day games?

7. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I'm actually looking forward to seeing the Pats and Jest play.

8. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    We'll watch the Pats/Det game well for obvious reasons.

Did you have to buy a package to get the nfl.com broadcast? I never like watching a game from the computer.

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Whichever QB wins us a Lombardi that is who I want. Manning won a Lombardi so from that stand point he has something that I want.

I prefer Rivers over Eli from sheer talent and leadership tangents.

10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Stop being cheap with that dial up connection and get high speed. :)

11. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    but how do I get the computer hooked up to the rabbit ear antenna on the tv???

:lol:

12. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    [​IMG]

13. gsxr

gsxr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    The mannings have and always will be crybabies. Knock Rivers down and he just gets back up and fires another TD. The mannings just go and sit onthe bench like Lt and pout. Did you see the games last weekend? Both mannings did the usual pout'n cry. We have a QB with guts and fire. I'm not talking bitching at the O line for the sack I'm saying Charging up the team. Rivers rules. Oh and about the ring, well it takes a whole team to get it. True greats play with pain and I just don't see it when the mannings play.

14. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    True greats find a way to win in the playoffs and come through in clutch time. Rivers has had this opportunity four years running and has not cashed in. Until he does, he is Eli's bitch.

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I don't care who the HC is or the QB just as long as San Diego wins a Lombardi. Hell Trumpy can run his fat arse out there and win it and I'd just as happy.

16. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Do not concur,

Both Eli & Philip have led their teams to the postseason 4 times (Eli always gifted with the much healthier team) and Eli has led them to three "1 & outs", to include a humiliating shutout loss at home in 2005, a season in which the NYG had 9 regular season home games due to Hurricane Katrina.

Rivers went 1 & done in 2006 against the Pats & last year against the Jets, both times with alot of "help" from his choking teammates but he won playoff games in both the 2007 & 2008 postseasons, something Eli could not manage to do.

If Philip Rivers is anyone's "bitch" in the playoffs, it's Tom Brady who has beaten him in consecutive postseasons but that would also make Peyton into Philip's "bitch", by virtue of his having done the same to Indy.

17. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    "Find a way to win" is a lazy cop-out for someone who wants to perpetrate like an individual can win a team sport on his own but has no valid argument to explain how the QB is supposed to accomplish that.

If a QB can, on his own, "find a way to win" why do they even pay the other 52 players?

18. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Bottom line, Riv needs a dam ring and we shut up A LOT of people. Come on Superbowl!

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I don't think any Chargers fan on the planet disagrees that the Chargers need a ring.

But intelligent sports fans are capable of seaparting the issues of what the bottom line of the sport is and individual player evaluation.

20. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Drop back, find an open reciever, and throw a critical completion when it really matters.

Are you going to try and explain Big Ben's throw in the SB with logic. Or Eli's head catch throw? Either of those throws sail high and they are losers and forgotten.

This season is the perfectly example. The 52 other Charger players haven't mattered. It all has come down to Rivers. We lost three games where one throw on the final drive would have generated a W. Thats the NFL. One clutch play makes the difference.

Rivers has won plenty of clutch games but he has lost quite a few also and his clock management is atrocious. I wouldn't want any other QB in the league right now than him. But until he nuts up during showtime he is the best of the 2nd tier.

21. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    The same can be said for the other 52 players. A dropped int, a missed sack, a missed block,, all can be game changers.

I can't think of one QB who single-handedly "won" the SB.

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Is he supposed to make the WR get open? Or is that on the WR?

Is he supposed to force the OL to give him the time to find this open WR that he's controlling?

I won't explain either with logic. I'll just remind you that somebody had to catch those passes and it wasn't Ben or Eli.

Really? It was Rivers who allowed punts to get blocked left and right? None of the game matters except the final play? So why do they even play the rest of the game? Why not just skip to an overtime format if the only thing that matters is the last drive?

I'm not going to pretend that Rivers has never made a mistake, but to insinuate that every loss is on him is being naive.

23. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    The thing I find interesting is that it's a discussion on the Giants board, but not here. I doubt anyone here would rather have Manning as the Chargers QB.

And I will never, ever be convinced that the Giants won the Super Bowl BECAUSE OF Manning. They won that Super Bowl because their defense shut down the most prolific offense in NFL history. If they hadn't, that pulled out of his as* play wouldn't have meant anything. And in fact, he TRIED to piss the game away, but Assante Samuel gave him the biggest gift of his life and dropped a fairly sure interception. If not for Samuel's generosity, there would be ZERO discussion about how overrated ECry is, it would be common knowledge.

24. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Rivers is the unquestioned leader on the field, therefore he is responsible. That's what Aspen is getting at Leo.

And even though I mostly agree with you Savage, when it did matter most, Eli DID come through, and no matter how anyone spins it, he did it and he has the ring.

Until Rivers wins one, he will always be considered 2nd tier by everyone else who is not a Chargers fan, I totally agree w/ Aspen on that, regardless of my personal feelings on PR.

25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    If that's what he was getting at why did he outright suggest the QB should win the team sport all on his own?

And I'm sorry, but I'm not buying the argument that being the "unquestioned leader" puts the onus on him to make the special teams not **** up.

Wait, I forgot, the special teams are off the hook because their **** ups weren't in the last drive of the game.

He and his teammates did it.

Pretty much

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Crediting the QB with a win or a loss is a spit in the face of the other 52 members of the team who work just as hard to earn those victories (or losses).

edit: I'll concede the back-ups shouldn't get as much credit, though. But let's not split hairs here.

27. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I didn't make the rules, I just follow them. Like it or not, perception is reality when it comes to QB and their team's success. You can play the semantics game all day long ad naseum, but bottom line is who gets the credit and who gets the blame? The QB.

I don't think it's right that people think that way, but they do. You can either accept it or whine about it.

28. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Just thru with watching the mon night game (long story why it took me this long!). Anyhows I could not believe the love Philip was getting from the booth. Fair play to Jaws and Chucky, they slobbered all over 17 and rightly so. He is for me the best QB playing right now. We win in Indy and there is no longer a debate, the guy simply has to be MVP this season.

Other observations from the game. Garay missed on some good chances early on, maybe that was why we saw so much of Cam and Martin?. Having said that hopefully it was an off night cos he has been beasting all year. Was Vasquez hurt or was he pulled and replaced by Green?. Green got loads of action after 65 whiffed on the block that cost us the sack. Crayton is nails, such a pity that he dislocated the wrist, look forward to having he and the likes of Gates/Naanee return. Big Mc is playing great now, he'll be fresher too going towards the playoffs. Tolbert ran and caught brilliantly, delighted to see him get the 100 yd game. He might be the second coming of Turner, or even better. Props to Sperry too for coming off the street to catch the 2 balls thrown his way. When we get all our guys fit and firing nobody will be able to stop this O.

29. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I liked it better when Philip was hated.

30. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    As does Trent Dilfer, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, and Brad Johnson.