1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Eckstein signs 1 year deal with Padres

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by EsDee_in_RI, Jan 16, 2009.

1. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Not bad...I still prefer Kahlil

2. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    I could not be more neutral about this signing.

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,640
    Pads really setting the free agent world on fire. Another too old and on his last legs signing, how typical.

:icon_rofl:

4. EsDee_in_RI

Ratings:
    +133
    Just wait until we pick up all the Cuban defectors that will sneak out in SD during the WBC....Then you'll be scared. :icon_tease:

5. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 New Member

Ratings:
    +50
    He's actually going to play second. He may not be a world beater but he gives the Pads a decent led off hitter that will go deep into the count. He also has pretty good speed which they lack. Not to mention he's a great bunter which they also lack.

All in all I like this pick up!

6. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 New Member

Ratings:
    +50
    The Pads may suck but they still own the Dodgers! :lol::icon_tease:

BTW are you guys going to sign Manny or not? :icon_shrug:

7. EsDee_in_RI

Ratings:
    +133
    They finally admitted to themselves that they need consistent hitters an not HR hitters in that park.

8. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,640
    Probably.

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,924

What's the Dodgers' big free agent move this year? Mark Loretta?

He kind of fits the same description you're pointing out here, don't you think?

10. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    Remember this when Eck is hitting about .240.

This signing was about money, pure and simple.

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    How is the signing "about money" when they spend less by just not signing anyone and letting Adrian's brother field 2nd base?

I'm not a huge fan of the deal, nor the payroll that's coming from the divorce, but I fail to see how they're signing Eckstein "because of money" when that makes no sense.

They're filling a roster spot with a semi-capable (albeit vastly overrated) player and hoping for the best because they can't really do much more with the restraint of a 45 million dollar payroll. It's as simple as that.

12. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    It is about the money because they absolutely needed another infielder and Eckstein is cheap. It is a bonus that he is a big name and people's perception of him is inflated.

This signing also does not represent any sort of shift in the organization's hitting philosophy, only how people perceive it or perceive it to have changed.

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    bullshit, Adrian's brother plays the same position and is already under contract.

A roster fodder infielder can be had for cheaper than Eckstein came if all they needed to do is fill a roster spot.

I won't argue this

14. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,640
    The big FA move will be resigning Manny.

Yeah, except the Dodgers are filled with good young talent that is returning and only needed to plug the hole left from Kent bouncing (good riddance Officer Kent).

BTW, Padres never should have let Loretta walk in the first place.

15. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    It was unrealistic to think that the Padres could have made it through the season with the assortment of garbage middle infielders that were on the roster before Eckstein. They needed another and I think that when you figure in how some fans will drool over this acquisition it make financial sense. As such, there may have been slightly cheaper washed up, overrated middle infielders out there, but the value of this signing makes it all about the money.

16. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    As an A's fan I used to hate playing that little bastard and it seemed like he was always on base. :lol:

17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    That remains to be seen.

You were criticizing off season moves. :icon_shrug:

Agreed, but he also wasn't 37 years old back then.

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    I fail to see how a move that adds money to the payroll can be "about money"

for a move to be "about money" it has to be a move that has more bearing on lining the pockets of the owner than it does improving the baseball team.

You and I are in agreement as to how much this move actually improves the baseball team, but giving $850,000 to a player when they could have gotten through the season without giving that to anyone is hardly "about money"

19. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 New Member

Ratings:
    +50

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    They effectively got Josh Bard and Cla Meredith for Loretta, so it really wasn't that bad of a deal.

21. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 New Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Exactly my point unless you see him play every day you can't appreciate what he does for your team. Being that I live in Anaheim I go to/watch a lot of Angel games and have seen the frustration on pitchers faces just trying to get the guy out.

Just the fact the he can actually bunt, work the count, and run the bases makes him worth one mill for a season. When is the last time the Pads had that out of their leadoff spot?

It should be a long year in Padre ville. Watching this guy play will take that sting off just a little bit.:padres:

22. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Yeah but in his hayday, noone could spin the lumber faster on the on deck circle lol.

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/11331796

LOS ANGELES -- Manny Ramirez has rejected the Dodgers' latest offer reportedly worth $25 million over one season, Ramirez's agent Scott Boras told the Los Angeles Times.

GM Ned Colletti met with Ramirez's agent last weekend to resume contract negotiations. Club spokesman Josh Rawitch said Monday night that Colletti met with Scott Boras the previous day. Rawitch said the team would not comment on the terms of any new proposal, but several reports indicated that Los Angeles offered Ramirez a $25 million, one-year deal.

Dodgers manager Joe Torre recently expressed hope that Ramirez, a free agent who will turn 37 in May, would return to the team for the upcoming season.

Several media outlets reported that Los Angeles offered Ramirez a $45 million, two-year contract in November. Boras is thought to be seeking at least a four-year deal for the enigmatic slugger, who declined the Dodgers' offer of arbitration in December.

A .314 career hitter with 527 home runs and 1,725 RBI, Ramirez led Los Angeles to the NL Championship Series last season after arriving from Boston in a July 31 trade. He batted .396 with 17 home runs, 53 RBI and a .743 slugging percentage in 53 games with the Dodgers.