1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Economist believes Chargers will stay in San Diego

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Mar 5, 2006

Good morning.

In this Los Angeles Times editorial, Stanford economist Roger Noll believes theSan Diego Chargers face long odds partnering with the Rams in Los Angles at the Inglewood Stadium project.

"The Los Angeles market is certainly big and rich enough to support two teams, and spreading the cost of building a modern NFL stadium over two teams makes sense. Still, as a business, a team prefers to have complete control of its stadium so that it can get a cut of the revenue from any other events held there. It also prefers not to have a direct competitor for fans, especially one playing the same sport in the same place.

If the Chargers come to town, the prices the Rams can charge for tickets, luxury boxes and personal seat licenses will have to drop a bit. The Rams probably will then seek compensation from the Chargers in high rent or control of some revenue sources from Chargers games. Add that to the $500 million the Chargers would have to pay the NFL to relocate in Los Angeles, and that deal has very long odds.

Expect the Chargers to stay in San Diego. If they move, it's more plausible that they'll end up in San Antonio or Las Vegas. Or even St. Louis."

My take: Noll's opinion is interesting because it's a foregone conclusion nationally that the Chargers would make more money in Los Angeles because of the increase in franchise valuation and more revenue opportunities. Still, the Chargers would have more control over the market in San Diego.

Ricky Henne of Chargers.com talks with president of football operations John Spanos about the importance of the Senior Bowl.

"Obviously there have been a few all-star games already, but this game draws top senior players," Spanos said. "So it's the best all-star game in terms of talent. It is also very beneficial because you have NFL staffs coaching it, and is one of the few times in our post season evaluation where we are evaluating prospects in pads and helmets. That is very important."

My take: Spanos went on to say the Chargers got an up-close look at recent second-round selections Jeremiah Attaochu and Denzel Perryman at the past two Senior Bowls. So being able to watch players in pads is an important part of the evaluation process.

In this ESPN Insider piece, Scouts Inc. writes that North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz looked the part in his first Senior Bowl practice Tuesday.

My take: Wentz rising up the draft board certainly would help the Chargers, who obviously do not need a quarterback with Philip Rivers in the fold. The guys from Scouts Inc. also say the defensive tackle group is stacked this year. I'll have a post later today on Wednesday's practice session.

Mike Mayock of the NFL Network says that Ohio State defensive tackleAdolphus Washington put on a show during one-on-one and team drills.

My take: Again, with San Diego's depth issues up front, pay close attention to the players available at defensive tackle this week.