1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Eli can't remember why he didn't want to be a Charger

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,453
    Eli Manning: I can’t remember why I didn’t want to be a Charger
    Posted by Michael David Smith on December 4, 2013, 4:37 PM EST

In the 2004 NFL draft, the Chargers selected Eli Manning first overall. Manning was a Charger for an awkward half-hour during which he reiterated what he had said before the draft — that he wouldn’t play for the Chargers — before San Diego traded him to the Giants. Now Manning is preparing to play the Chargers and the quarterback he was traded for, Philip Rivers, but Manning would prefer not to talk about the past.

Asked by reporters today why he didn’t want to play for the Chargers, Manning answered, “I forgot, I think.”

Pressed to go into detail, Manning refused.

“I just can’t remember, it’s been 10 years. It slipped my mind,” Manning said, via Conor Orr of the Star-Ledger. “Ten years ago, I don’t know. I can’t remember.”

Manning did say he likes visiting the city of San Diego.

“I have nothing against San Diego as a city,” Manning said. “We had our rookie symposium there and besides that, we’ve had a few other things, I know it’s a beautiful city and great weather. There’s a lot of great things to it.”

Manning just didn’t want to play there. And he won’t get a warm welcome there on Sunday.

Right Answer: Because my dad told me not to.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,208
    Because Papa said he couldnt...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Sheli knows dam well why she played that draft out the way she did. Her Daddy wanted to controll the situation and make as much $ as she could. Archie can go FH!

• Like Like x 1
  4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Eli is trying to let the story die. The media keeps on rehashing it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Because he thinks he is better than he actually is and deserves more

6. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,152
    I guess we can all remind him on Sunday, it's going to be a loud reminder...

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    It should have been taken as a wake up call to Charger ownership and the fans. Not saying he is right because the system (NFL) allowed him to do it. If the rules stated you play where you are selected or you don't play at all, he would've been a Charger. I reckon rules are meant to be bent, just not broken.

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,208
    Bull pucky! Should the fact that Daddy Manning said the same thing to the Saints when Paid-a-ton was to be drafted been a wake up call to them? Hell no. Its a family trying to impose their will on a system so they feel relevant. It is nothing more to that, it is definitely not a wake up call that Ecry didn't want to play here.

Also the rules do NOT say you play where you are picked. They say if you fail to reach a contractual agreement you can trade them, ALA Ecry and John Elway, or they re-enter the draft a year later.

9. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,763
    I never said the rules state that, rather that "IF" they did. Personally, I didn't care for Eli and didn't see him as an upgrade over Brees and was happy when he came out with his stance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    My head is still throbbing from the concept of Eli "as an upgrade over Brees." :confused:
    That's the funniest damned concept I've encountered all week.

11. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,763
    It's no secret of my disdain for Brees while he was a Bolt and Marty the QB killer was still going strong and making Brees even worse. I was hoping the Bolts would have been able to make a trade and get some immediate help as in a proven player or two and still be able to pick up the likes of Big Ben as a project.

12. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +310
    I never forget what a bitch looks like...... sheli.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    To be fair, the way his o-line has let him get pounded this year,
    I really can believe that Eli doesn't remember much of anything...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,626
    IMO History has proven him right for not coming to SD. That and his 2 rings. Sucks but it's true.

Personally, IDGAF about any of this Eli bs, he's a decent qb who's had a pretty good career so far. As far as I'm concerned there's 52 other players on the sidelines the Chargers need to beat just as bad.

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,208
    Would you please stop bringing rationalization to my Eli hate...

Thanks...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. JAMMER

JAMMER BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +168
    To be fair with Éli if he would have come here... is career would be over long time ago

17. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,366
    For anyone over the age of 9, it's less embarrassing to say "I don't remember" than it is to say "My daddy wouldn't let me."

18. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,366
    For anyone over the age of 9, it's less embarrassing to say "I don't remember" than it is to say "My daddy wouldn't let me."

19. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,366
    Sorry, but one entitled family's feeling about the franchise is not a wake up call to "Charger ownership and the fans." When Eli refused to play for the Bolts, the team was about to enter their most successful run ever. The Giants had a couple bounces go their way and they parlayed that into 2 SB rings. Congrats to them. But a bounce here and a bounce there and the Chargers could just as easily have been the team with a ring or two. Daddy Manning's assessment of the team is that they were a total mess. That assessment was very, very wrong.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,763
    If in reality it is only "one" but that doesn't seem to hold water as others have left the franchise or so reportedly for less money. I don't claim to have the inside 411 on the Manning deal or any others, only what I have read or what has been rumored in the past.

As a former business owner, I sure as hell know I'd check into why someone wouldn't want to come to work for me or left for a lower wage.

21. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Judging by the crowd on Sunday I don't think the media is the only group of people that wants to keep it alive.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    Of course - because it's fun to have someone to "hate" when you're a football fan. I doubt there's much more to those feelings than that (for most folks anyway).

When Eli Archie poo-poo'd San Diego it wasn't simply an insult to the Chargers organization, it was a slap in the face to the fans as well. I hope there is never a time when he's on our field without the boo's raining down from the stands.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  23. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Syd said poo-poo. heh heh heh

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Let's say it was her duty

• Like Like x 1
  25. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Meanwhile back at the ranch. Charger fans still hate ELI, however ELI has been able to hoist how many Lombardis? We can yell and scream all we want but until we take the next step to become a better organization. We will continue to be the best organization to have never won a Super Bowl. And that is not a distinction that I would be proud of.

26. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    I don't hate Eli b/c he has Lombardi's I hate him b/c his Dad is an ******* and said not-so-nice things about my team. He could have fifty Lombardi's and it wouldn't change my feelings on the matter.

Who here is saying they're proud of NOT having a Lombardi???? :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Seriously, the premise is that we can't have any fun with the guy, until we win a Super Bowl?

You do realize that we are 0 for XLVII on those things, yes?

I'd like to have a chuckle or two before I die, thank-you-very-much!

Besides, even if the heavens open up, and decide to finally let the Chargers win one,
    won't you then be posting:

"Not yet, folks…Eli has TWO!"

And then if the gods somehow tolerate a second Charger Lombardi, won't you then say:

"Hold off, lads…how can we rejoice when we're no better than Eli?…No celebrating 'til #3!"

And of course my great-great-great-great grandson will by saying: "Yay! Any century now!"

28. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Daddy Manning did not let Eli come to San Diego because of the Chargers organization! Its still the same ol organization! And until we get rid of Spanos as the owner, we will continue to be a second rate team!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  29. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +905
    If anybody thinks this was about anything other than wanting his little princess to play in a major media market, they are kidding themselves. If ECry would have been passed on by the Chargers, he could have been drafted by the Oakland Raiders or Arizona Cardinals before he even got to the Giants. Were either of those two teams any better than San Diego at that point? Hell, the Giants were drafting 4th, so they weren't setting the world on fire then either. Of course it was never about winning, the fact that they ended up doing so was a happy coincidence. I'm fully convinced that Archie had already had talks with Accorsi, and this was their way of getting their way. If I remember correctly, Marty was gushing about Rivers after the Senior Bowl. So they probably had an idea they could get Rivers at 4 and send a package to SD for little ECry. They raised a big stink and stomped their feet to force the situation, and ended up getting their way.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,208
    Yeah, Marty fell in lust with Rivers at the Senior bowl. Papa Manning had to have already has some talks, I remember he visited San Diego prior to the draft. Why he did, and spoke to the Chargers I will never know, was he Eli's agent?