1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Eli can't remember why he didn't want to be a Charger

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Dec 4, 2013.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +469
    WE (the fans) can get rid of Spanos?

2. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,683
    The Spanos hate is just an easy excuse to put all the blame in one place. Are they perfect people? No. Do they make all the right decisions? No. But they most certainly do care about winning and most importantly, about this community. The vast majority of things they do for San Diego goes unnoticed and that's by choice because they're not looking for publicity.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,868
    Who said we can't want a better organization and hate Eli for what he and his father pulled?

Just because the Chargers have some shortcomings and their crybaby antics worked doesn't mean Eli and Archie are the pinnacles of valor.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,868
    I get not wanting to chest beat when our team hasn't won the big dance, especially when Eli's antics basically payed off, but let's not pretend New York money wasn't at play in their antics. The entire world and probably even alien races in other dimensions knew Archie wanted his son in New York long before the he might go to San Diego dynamic came into play.

Also, I wasn't aware we could get rid of Spanos.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,868
    The fact that it worked out for him only makes it worse IMO

But really, who's to say we wouldn't have won one or two with Eli?

That's not to suggest Eli is a better QB than Rivers, because I don't think he is, but at the same time there's so many different dynamics that would/could be different if you change something as significant as who we play at QB.

I mean, for starters, we don't have Merriman or Nate Kaeding without that trade....which could be good or bad. We don't know who we take instead since we don't draft either of those two.

It's the butterfly effect. Everyone likes to just plug and play in these what-if scenarios but if you go back in time and Eli accepts and plays for us it changes more than you think and we have no idea if that'd be for better or worse.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +899
    Yep. Who knows if A.J. even takes ECry without all of the noise? Maybe the ONLY reason they took him was because they knew Archie and Accorsi already had a deal and he knew he could leverage it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    It ain't what you see, it's what happens.

8. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Concerned Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +214
    When Merriman was dominating and Kaeding was nails, the trade looked severely one sided in our favor but even back then, with Philip clearly being the better of the 2 QBs, I believed that we would have "won" even if the trade were simply Manning for Rivers straight up - I still believe that to this day, and if & when Philip eventually leads this franchise to even 1 championship, perhaps the majority of other people will see it that way as well.

Myopic gnat fans claim that Rivers would've surely withered under the harsh glare of the New York media, but I disagree. Except for the two seasons prior to this one, he has never turned the ball over all that much, while ShEli has always been an interception machine. Had Rivers played in New Jersey, I think the Giants would still have those 2 if not more rings because they only won the ones they have when Manning took good care of the ball in the postseason, something that Philip has done for the majority of his entire career.

Lest we forget, ECry lost his 1st 2 playoff games. His 1st foray into the postseason was after the 2005 season when the Gnats won their division after the NFL “gifted” them a 9th home game in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. The result was a humiliating & brutal beatdown delivered by the Panthers, in which New York was shut out at home and Manning threw 3 picks, and lost a fumble to boot.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    There's no proof that, on the whole, players don't want to play in SD. The Eli thing was an isolated incident, not just for SD, but in the history of the league. Only a few players in the history of the league have ever attempted to dictate where they played through the draft. I can forgive Elway somewhat because he was a once in a generation talent. But Eli is an above average QB at best.

Your analogy about an employee not wanting to work for your business doesn't really hold water. The draft is a mutually agreed upon system of determining where rookies play. Both the owners and the players association agree to the format. One guy placing himself above this system is not the same as an individual choosing to take a job or not. It said a lot more about the Manning family than it did about the Chargers.

10. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Yep. The Chargers have generally had a reputation for excellent (often league-shaping [see Gillman & Coryell])
    offense. While Archie may not be a Rhodes Scholar, he knew that his second QB son was a distant also-ran
    to Peyton…no way would this
    (81.9 career passer rating…in an era of inflated passer ratings! Peyton = 96.9) kid carry any
    team anywhere. A place like New York--more known for great defense than offense--is the only situation
    in which an Eli could possibly find "success"…well, team success…on a defense that will carry him.

In short, it was a weird win-win: Eli got two Lombardi trophies despite being a "C-" QB overall
    (who, was shockingly clutch, in Super Bowls, for some unfathomable reason). :confused:

Would the Chargers have been a better team with mediocre Eli instead of Rivers? No freakin' way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760

First off, who the fawk here wanted Eli in the first place? I didn't, I was hoping for a WR, NT, LB'er and no Gallery. I figured with Marty here Brees wasn't going anywhere sad but true. I was all set for 3 yards and a cloud of dust and Marty would have wore Tomlinson out.

So back on topic, who the fawk wanted Eli to play here in the first place???.

12. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +247
    Eli didn't want to be a Charger because his arrogant *** of a daddy said so. That way Archie didn't spank him...the Chargers do...every time he comes to town. "Can't remember"????.....Jerk!

13. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +899
    I still don't believe that it had anything to do with San Diego or the organization, it was all designed to get ECry to New York. Because if the Chargers just say "OK, we're not going to take him" then he still might have been selected by Oakland or Arizona, certainly no better organizationally. I believe that the Manning already had a deal of some kind with Accorsi.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Yeah, I think it's time to ditch the "better team/better organization" nonsense:

Both the Giants and Chargers were a lousy 4-12 in 2003, that's why both were drafting so early.

Over the following 3 seasons, Giants were 25-23 (52%), Chargers were 35-13 (73%)

Chargers were the better club by far, in the 2003-2006 era

Further, Eli's passer rating averaged about 70 over his first 4 seasons
    if it weren't for the big contract and being the brother of Peyton,
    the overwhelming majority of guys that ineffective would never have
    had an opportunity to
    play a 5th season in the NFL,
    never mind being a starter in a major market.

(for perspective, I think only Geno Smith and Terrelle Pryor are
    under a 70 passer rating this season
    [though both ineffective rooks still better than Eli's rookie season],
    and Pryor's in for his legs)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I can remember why we didn't want Eli to be a Charger.

16. Burlington Bolt Brother

Burlington Bolt Brother BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +162
    lol
    like what?