1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Elite QB

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltz, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Boltz

Boltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    Yes, Rivers is off this year, but he is still an elite quarterback. Think about this for a second. How many NFL teams with elite QB's don't make the playoffs? The Patriots with Brady? No. The Packers with Rodgers? No. The Saints with Brees? No. The Colts with Manning? No. The Steelers with Big Ben? No. These are the top QB's in the game and all of their teams make the playoffs when those guys are under the helm. Rivers is on that list despite his play this year and his team is in danger of missing the playoffs 2 years in a row. Some of those QB's listed above don't have an amazing supporting cast either, yet they find a way to do it and their teams do. Why? They have better coaches, simple as that.

2. Helljumper

Helljumper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +54
    Why does Phillip automatically qualify as an elite QB because of his past play? Look at his stats for this season. His passer rating is ranked #19 in the league. He's thrown more interceptions than any other QB. Just because he's historically been very good, that doesn't mean he's still an elite QB.

Right now, Rivers is definitely a large part of the problem. We can't just excuse his poor play because of nostalgia and pass all the blame onto Norv.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    No one is excusing it because of nastalgia, but anyone who follows the NFL for any length of time will know that elite QBs DO go through down seasons. It has happened to all of them. Call it nastalgia if you wish, I see it as a simple fact of the NFL.

4. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    I don't see Phillip making alot of calls at the line-of-scrimmage, therefore hes running Norv's plays.

Can someone, who is watching more closely, confirm something for me? Has Phillip had check-down options available to him on the majority of his interception plays?

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Trade River's and be done with it.

6. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    Who the hell for?? I don't want any other QB. I wouldn't even take Brady at this point! Rivers for better or worse is invested in the sucess of the Chargers and nobody on that field wants to pull the Chargers out their slum more than Phillip Rivers.

7. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +377
    Sure go ahead and do that. He'll than go on to another team and have great success. Fix things and if Rivers has a season like this next year than get rid of him.

8. Eurobolt Mike

Eurobolt Mike BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    Have you lost your mind?

...and get who exactly?

Charlie Whitehurst?

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    He's an elite QB who is having a bad year. Every QB has bad years, this is Rivers'

10. starry

starry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    He's probably good enough to get the team to a Superbowl which is all that matters but the surrounding cast needs to be improved (including coaching and GM).

11. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    I would take Mark Sanchez lol..

No seriously.. its not just Rivers..

Rivers has always excelled as an elite QB with a good run game.. He had LT.. he was great through those years.. then he had Tolbert last year and Mathews came into his own as well.. but this year there has been absolutely no run game.. Rivers needs a run game to excel..

Mathews still needs to improve obviously.. but they have to give him more touches.. he got the ball 25 times against the Broncos and had his only 100+ yard game..

I still believe in the kid despite his fumble problems.. every young running back goes through this.. He needs a coach that will be on his *** and be there to pick him up when hes down..

12. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Please enlighten me sir. When was the last time Manning, Brady, Brees, or Big Ben had a year as atrocious as Rivers? The only time I remember Manning and Brady being a non factor was when they were out for the season due to injury. The only good qb recently that I remember having this type of slump was Jake Delhomme.

Rivers is having a HORRIBLE year and there is no reason to think he's going snap out of it until he doesn't throw a pick when his team needs him the most.

I can guarantee you that this weekend will be the same. Chargers will have to come from behind and will get close...BUT Rivers will throw a pic on the deciding drive. It's a lock man. Haven't you been paying attention all season? That's what he's been doing! It's not just that he's throwing pics, it's WHEN he's throwing them. The dude is a bigger choker than Nate is! And that's saying a lot.

13. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Rivers is having an Eli year.

Until futher notice he's not elite.

14. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    He's shown stretches of him being his usual elite self, but it has been littered with crunch time errors that used to be considered uncharacteristic.

You can make all the injured player excuses, part of it is missing Gates, not having healthy o-line or runners, but the bigger part is execution. His decision making at times has been awful and execution of throws is even worse, for example getting picked off on a throw out of bounds play, or trying to force the ball into double coverage.

But then again, the playcaller has to get some of the blame to for 3 reasons:
    1. Failure to adapt the game plan adequately to suit the players that are playing. Yes we do the deep pass well, but when the o-line is a backup o-line against pressure, you need to be more patient and play more short routes, over the middle, or crossing routes. The screen call became so predictable against the Bears that it didn't work.
    2. Leading on from this, the play calling has lacked creativity, and this is on Norv. Find other ways to help take the pressure off of Philip, send VJ up the middle or in the slot, throw in a trick play here and there, do something to keep the D guessing and forcing them to adapt.
    3. The team's lack of composure in general. Too many mental errors, mistakes, false starts, penalties, a general lack of discipline.

15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    this

16. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    You're a ******* idiot if you think we should get rid of Rivers. If our defense didn't get marched on all game long then Rivers wouldn't have to play from behind all the time. It's tough to get into a rhythm when you're playing catch up every single game.

17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I reckon I should set the hook now, I got me a few whoppers on this here line. A country boy can survive!!!!!!! :)

18. Eurobolt Mike

Eurobolt Mike BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    Ahh the old 'it was a wind up and I gotcha' ploy.

Every post fail excuse since the turn of the century...

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    That is asinine

20. Boltz

Boltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    CUT RIVERS, BRING BACK LEAF!!!!!!!

21. 18gramblingcharlie

18gramblingcharlie Bitter San Diego sports fan

Ratings:
    +3
    I would say Rivers is just a notch below elite. History shows he can play the position at a very high level. And I believe he can return to that level of play. But he must get help. I've heard that other teams absolutely do not have any fear of our running game. Be it the o-line or the players toting the ball, there isn't a threat from the ground game. Also the inconsistency of the receivers' availability plus the lack of a training camp and injuries all have played a part in the struggles in the passing game. I pray this season is just an abberation for Rivers and he can hang in there while we restock the roster (hopefully).

22. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +377
    If you can guarantee things why the **** didn't you tell the team/rivers this would happen?

No one is a bigger choker than Nate. Get real.