1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Elway: “I know what I don’t know” : Welcome to the AFC Worst!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Jan 5, 2011.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Elway: “I know what I don’t know”

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 5, 2011, 4:56 PM EST
    In an hour-long, wide-ranging, open press conference that at times felt like a Denver Broncos pep rally, John Elway laid out his vision as the team’s new head of football operations.

We’re skeptical that someone with so little training could possibly be the best man for the job. One positive: Elway made it clear he wouldn’t just start making personnel decisions on his own.

“I know what I don’t know, and I’m going to hire to what I don’t know,” Elway said at the presser shown on the team’s website. “[G.M.] Brian [Xanders] knows a lot of what I don’t know on personnel side. “

Elway said Xanders never really had a chance to show what he could do under Josh McDaniels, saying the Broncos “turned into a one-man show.” He decided Xanders deserved a chance.

“Brian knows the expectations of him now,” Elway said. “There’s no hiding.”

The Broncos didn’t hide the fact that the move to Elway was largely about re-establishing the relationship between the team and its fans. Elway talked about losing that connection, and emphasized transparency.

“There’s no longer going to be one touch point with the fans,” Elway said, mentioning himself, Xanders, and the next head coach.

President Joe Ellis listed Elway’s qualifications, saying his most important trait was his, “complete and clear understanding of what the Broncos mean to the community, the fans, and to [owner] Pat Bowlen.”

Elway said that he enjoyed starting to watch film of late, indicating that he wasn’t too familiar with the team and league before. (He called Broncos head coaching candidate “Mark Mularkey” instead of Mike more than once.) Elway insisted he’s ready for the challenge.

“I’ve played quite a lot of golf,” Elway said. “I’m not done playing golf, but I’m not going to play as much as I was.”

Elway: “I know what I don’t know” | ProFootballTalk

2. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    The Broncos pull a Matt Millen by hiring this guy. The Raiders fire their consistency! Looks like we will fight it out with the Chiefs again next season.

3. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Matt Millen offers advice to John Elway on running Broncos

Former Detroit Lions team president Matt Millen wished Hall of Famer John Elway well in his new role as boss of the Denver Broncos' football operations.

And he acknowledged that he set the bar pretty low for Elway.

"I hope John does better than I did," Millen told the Denver Post, "because I stunk at it."

Elway was hired on Wednesday as the executive vice president of football operations for the Broncos, the team for which he played his entire 16-year career that included two Super Bowl wins.

Millen's 2001-2008 era as boss in Detroit was one of ineptitude with several busted first-round draft picks and no winning seasons. Now an analyst for ESPN and the NFL Network, Millen offered some advice for Elway to the Post.

Among his thoughts:

"The first thing John has to do is learn the culture of the building. He should be ahead of the curve, because he's been around it. And then he has to learn the culture of the league. There's a lot of red tape, and there's a lot of politicking. And that's fine; you have that everywhere. Pat will help him. Joe Ellis will help him a lot too. Joe is really good at what he does."
    "There's a misconception about the job. It's less about the game of football. It's less about X's and O's. It's less about personnel decisions. It's a job about managing people. It's about building a consensus when you pick the right head coach. You can't go in and be this football czar and say this is how it's going to work. If you pick somebody that a coach doesn't like and doesn't coach, that's a bad situation.
    "Scouts all have certain types of players they like and don't like. Some guys are good at evaluating backs, some guys aren't good with safeties. Some guys are quarterback guys, some guys aren't. Some guys like athletes, some guys like tough guys. John has to get to where he can read all these things in his guys."
    -- Sean Leahy

See photos of: NFL, Denver Broncos, Detroit Lions

Matt Millen offers advice to John Elway on running Broncos - The Huddle: Football News from the NFL - USATODAY.com

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    WOW talk about a horrible signing that was? When a guy says I "Stunk at it" really tells you football organizations aren't all as smart as we set them out to be. Now the question is how smart are the chargers?

5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    The only way he succeeds is if Harbaugh takes the HC job. Otherwise he's just gonna be another horse-toothed jacka.ss:deadhorse:

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
  7. cool arrow

cool arrow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21