1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Embarrassed to be a Chargers fan

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Savage Lizard, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    And not why you think.

I started this as a reply to another post, but decided to turn it into it's own thread.

The behavior of other Chargers fans is downright embarrassing at times. Things I saw this past weekend:

1) Chanting "Marty, Marty" is just plain retarded. This is the guy who helped piss away TWO winnable playoff games, and flat missed the playoffs in between. Of course, I don't place all of the blame on coaches, but in this instance, people who are placing all of the blame on Norv are suddenly re-writing history and giving Marty a pass. This is the same guy who wanted out, and orchestrated his own dismissal.

2) The idiot sitting near me screaming for the team to pass the ball more whenever a run play doesn't work, and then scream for running plays when there is an incomplete pass. Make up your f*cking mind? Do you have an actual opinion on play calling, or do you just like to talk **** after any failed play?

3) The other dumbass near me screaming "give the ball to LT" and "run the f*cking ball" at the end of the half when we were at the 41 with less than a minute to play and 1 timeout.

4) Idiot fans yelling "LT, LT" when the team is in the huddle and approaching the line of scrimmage.

5) People being as*holes to Chiefs fans who weren't doing anything but being Chiefs fans. How dare they support a team other than the Chargers, and how dare they be happy when their team is doing well? That kind of crap just make us look like crybabies and losers.

6) People talking **** to Chiefs fans in the parking lot AFTER they just beat us. How stupid do you look talking **** about a team that just beat you?

7) General drunken as*holes making fools of themselves.

There's probably more, those are just the things that popped into my head.

2. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    You know, I was booing my arse off, but even I didn't chant Marty.

3. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    The key phrase is "drunken azzhole".

4. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Agreed.

And I would like to include the dimwit that kept yelling "THROW IT! THROW IT!!!!!" when Rivers would drop back, and when nobody came open and Rivers had to throw it away, the same genius yelled "KEEP IT ON THE GODDAM FIELD RIVERS!!!!"

You sir, are an idiot.

5. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    :yes: :tup:

I would surmise that most of the "problem child" fans are just that, children or youngins that have only been "fans" in the past 3 or 4 years.

6. blitznd33

blitznd33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11

Great post. I agree with all your observations. I would like to add another thing I saw...

8) Charger fans fighting with each other. WHY?

7. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    From my section there is a NOTICEABLE drop in the football IQ. It sucks.

One more thing that REALLY REALLY bugs:

Why the hell would you wear a RED Tomlinson or Merriman Pro Bowl Jersey the MFing CHIEFS GAME?!?! I saw this more than a few times on Sunday.

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    And now we have a guy who sucks and sucks really, really bad!!!
    He can't win **** and AJ brought him in and he is completely running our team into the ground!!!
    Those fans are just smart enough to realize the horrible mess that AJ got us into and it's ALL because his ego took over his brain!!!
    I DON'T SHOW UP AT GAMES TO BOOST SOMEBODY'S EGO!!!!

I for one am embarrassed that we signed Norv!!!!
    And I'm very embarrassed about the way this season is going so far.

AJ AND NORV NEEDED TO HEAR THAT!!!!

The rest, I can agree on but I wasn't behaving like that so it's NOT my problem!!!

9. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    No doubt. If they need to, just pop on over to the WalMart on Aero Drive/Murphy Canyon and spend $25 on a power blue / dark blue / white Chargers jersey/shirt.

10. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    I had the same discussion with friends on the way in. We saw a guy with a red Chargers hat, and a) couldn't figure out why anyone would have a red Chargers hat, and b) why they would wear it to that game.

Of course, I have gone on record as completely disagreeing with the black Chargers jerseys. Who the f*ck wants to sport the colors of our most hated rivals? Oh yeah, that guy that wants to look "gansta" or something.

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I didn't either but I applauded it!!!!
    Though my voice is still horse from screaming "NORV MUST GO!!!"

12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I'm not embarrassed to be a Chargers fans, I'm not embarrassed for people who do stupid ****. They would be the same no matter what team they rooted for.

The unfortunate thing is, I've seen exactly what you are talking about at the Murph, happen on this very board. Yes, we're 1-3 but I'm not canceling my Sunday Ticket, if I was still residing in Dego, I wouldn't cancel my season tickets either.

Dunks do screw it up for everyone else. I remember bringing both of my son's who were very young at the time to Charger games. One row behind us this dude is swearing terribly bad and probably didn't even know his own name. I complained to security but nothing was done, at the end of the 3rd QTR dude hurls and people scatter. finally they removed him and we never seen him back again. :bolt:

13. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Maybe you should have given him a beer spiked with a tablespoon or two of ipecac earlier in the game..... :lol:

14. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887

I don't believe I had any on my person at the time or I may have. :icon_rofl:

15. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    I hear that, maybe I could have said it a different way.

Embarrassed that those people represent Charger fans, that's more what I meant. That these people are who that Chiefs fan, or some other guy, thinks of when he thinks about Charger fans.

16. Edgar

Edgar BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I agree with much of what you say Lizard......except your take on Marty. Can't hold him responsible for playoff losses then complain about people getting on Norv for his performance.

As for Marty setting up his own firing.....let's see.....offer a 200+ win Coach that just went 14-2 a one year extension and don't let him pick his D-Coordinator??? Expain to me who set up what?:icon_huh:

17. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    No, no, you didn't read. I said I don't blame the loss entirely on Marty, that he was part of it. The point I was making was pretty much the inverse of what you were saying to me: if people feel Norv is entirely the problem with the current Chargers, then wasn't Marty entirely the problem in those playoff losses? And if so, why would someone have a raging hard on to bring him back? That is what I was saying. There is a disconnect between blaming everything on Norv, but revising history and making Marty a hero.

And as for his firing...

If your boss makes it clear to you that he doesn't want you to do something, and you go ahead and do it anyway, what do you expect his response to be? You have pretty much told him to "f*ck off" in your actions, so he is probably going to respond to that accordingly.

18. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Wearing the red one had to be some poeple's idea of a calculated insult. At least there weren't any Chief's fans physcially accosted by pseudo Charger fans that I heard of. I'm thnking extra foot patrols in the parking lot checking for people who appeared visibly innebriated who are preparing to get into the driver's side might not be a bad idea. BYW, I saw my first live and in color pink Charger jersey the other day. I kept looking for the Pepto Bismol logo because the person wearing even looked like a bottle. Even had a jet black dye job. The image of some giant hand reaching down and twisting her head off flitted through my febrile little mind.

19. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887

I understand and agree because it reflects on all of us, just as this MB does. I can just imagine what other fans think when they stroll by and see some of the crap on here.

20. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Yet he calls those people "retarded!!!"

21. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    From today's TMQ:

Sour Series of the Week: Trailing 30-16 at home, the Chargers reached first-and-goal on the Chiefs' 5 with four minutes remaining. Did the Chargers, the NFL's best power-rushing team in 2006, blessed with future Hall of Fame tailback LaDainian Tomlinson -- who had 20 carries for 132 yards to that point -- pound, pound, pound for the likely touchdown? San Diego went incompletion, incompletion, incompletion, incompletion: Kansas City ball, and TMQ wrote the words "game over" in his notebook. Tomlinson was by himself in the right flat on third down, and Philip Rivers looked at him but, inexplicably, did not throw. Regardless of that foul-up, San Diego needed to punch the ball forward just 5 yards to pull within one score with home-crowd energy on its side -- and didn't even try a single run. Marty Schottenheimer was 14-3 coaching the Chargers last season; Norv Turner is 1-3 with virtually the same personnel. Spectators at Qualcomm Stadium, which might need to be renamed Quaalude Stadium if things get any worse, were chanting "MAR-ty! MAR-ty!" When he was in the house, didn't the same crowd complain about Martyball?

Stop Me Before I Blitz Again! Score Kansas City 23, San Diego 16, early in the fourth quarter, the Bolts had the Chiefs facing third-and-19 at midfield. All the Chargers need to do is play straight defense, and the odds favor a stop. Instead, it's a seven-man blitz! Easy 51-yard touchdown pass to Dwayne Bowe, and suddenly Wade Phillips looks even better.

22. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Sounds like you need to find another team...wait, that's how every team's fans are...forget it. Just stick around and live with it.

As for the Marty chants. No way this team is in this spot with Marty. Gripe all you want about him ripping your heart out in January. It's better then than October. Get me to the playoffs and anything can happen (Marty). Get me to last place and we're the laughing stock of the league (Norv).

23. Edgar

Edgar BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    My point follows this exactly.......you tell the Head Coach of a team that just went 14-2 who he can or can not have as a D-Coordiantor, and offer him a one year extension at the same salary......he is going to react. That is what Marty did.....they insulted him....as if that wasn't insulting enough to have a GM that ignores you and plays childish games. The dude was sent down the river....for having a team lose in the playoffs thanks to a fumbled INT and a missed 42 yard FG in the previous playoff game. He was forced out town...IMO. No Head Coach with that kind of winning record has GM's and Owners telling them whom they can and can not have on their staffs. Just that simple.

But I do agree with almost every other point you make.

24. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

AJ wanted a big group of "yes men" and that's what we have now!! :icon_evil:

25. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    WOW. Sounds like a typical Sunday at the Oakland Coliseum when the Denver Broncos are in town. :icon_rofl:

26. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :icon_eek:

yer talkin 'bout me, aincha? :icon_sad:

27. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :no: Just isn't right...

28. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Every team's fans are not like this.

Go watch a game at Lambeau and then report back to us.

29. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

True but every team has their bad seeds.
    I don't believe that the majority of Chargers fans are like that because I don't see any like that around where I sit (Plaza 25). Though I have seen it in other areas.

30. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    merriman was on the nfl network today. He mentioned that if he'd paid a 100 dollars he'd have the right to boo as well.

If fans didn't have emotion they wouldn't be regarded as fans.