1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

English enjoys final tune up

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Casey Pearce
    Posted Sep 5, 2009

Chargers rookie linebacker Larry English just missed his first career sack on a couple of occasions Friday night. Regardless, he was encouraged by his performance in the team’s preseason finale.

Chargers rookie linebacker Larry English[​IMG] felt pretty good about how he played Friday night in the team’s preseason finale. He was perhaps two steps from feeling great about his performance.
    “You always want to get there,” said English, who hit 49ers quarterback Nate Davis twice but just missed logging a sack on both occasions. “I left something that I still wanted to achieve that I didn’t, but it was something to build off of.”

English, who missed the Chargers’ first two preseason games with a sore hamstring, finished the four-game warm up stretch with an impressive showing against the 49ers Friday. He was credited with two tackles but got in Davis’ face on several occasions and forced errant throws. The Chargers’ top draft pick felt good about the progress he made in the week following his preseason debut last Saturday in Atlanta.
    “I felt a little bit better out there tonight,” English said. “After getting a few reps last week, I felt a little more comfortable today. I thought I had a better game.”
    Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner has said throughout training camp that the team got what they thought they were getting when it invested the 16th overall pick in April’s draft on the speedy pass rusher. Friday gave Turner and Chargers fans their first real opportunity to see it in game action.
    “It’s fun to get to see it live out there on the field what we see every day in practice,” Turner said. “He’s got great explosiveness. He’s relentless in terms of the way he rushes. He’s just got a knack for rushing the passer.”
    English played about two quarters against San Francisco after receiving a similar workload last week in Atlanta. He believes he’s greatly benefitted from the live work he received the last two weeks.
    “I feel much more comfortable going into the regular season with these two games under my belt,” English said. “Hopefully I can contribute and help this team accomplish what we want to.”

A little scare
    Chargers fans held their breath for a few minutes in the first quarter when linebacker Kevin Burnett[​IMG], the team’s leading tackler in the preseason, laid face down on the turf after absorbing a blow. Fortunately, Burnett got up and walked to the sideline on his own power, and Turner didn’t seem overly concerned about Burnett’s health status.
    “Kevin is alright,” Turner said. “He just got a little stinger and he was up and moving. He feels good right now.”
    Burnett’s speed and instincts have been a welcomed addition to the middle of the Chargers’ defense, and Turner expressed his gratitude over Burnett’s early diagnosis after the game.
    “We were fortunate,” Turner said. “He has been outstanding.”

Decision Saturday
    Chargers running back Michael Bennett[​IMG] says he will sleep easy Friday night knowing he left his all on the football field.
    “I thought things went pretty well tonight,” Bennett said. “I try to go out with a good feeling. Whether I’m here or not I wanted leave a great impression with the organization and the fans. If I’m still here, then it worked out but if not, then who knows.”
    Friday marked the first time this preseason Bennett was kept out of the end zone, but nonetheless, he impressed with eight carries for 30 yards and a 25-yard catch and run on a screen pattern. Still, in a crowded backfield, Bennett was unsure of his fate on the night before the Chargers trim their roster to 53.
    “We have known this is coming,” Turner said of the difficult decisions he faces at the running back position. “There’s been a lot of speculation which way we’re going to go. We’re going to have to get in there tomorrow morning and make decisions. Michael Bennett has been impressive during this training camp.”

Just kicking it
    Chargers kicker Nate Kaeding[​IMG] went a perfect 4-for-4 Friday night to close a strong preseason. For the fifth-year pro, it was the perfect warm up for the regular season.
    “It was good to get some practice here tonight and end the preseason on a good note,” Kaeding said. “I felt like my rhythm was there tonight. I’m looking forward to shooting some real bullets here next week.”

Nice summer
    Billy Volek[​IMG] played the entire first half Friday and threw a touchdown pass for the third-consecutive week. He was 8-of-13 against the Niners to finish the preseason with a 70.7 completion percentage, three touchdowns and a passer rating of 125.4.
    “He’s a pure passer,” Turner said. “He very rarely misses a throw. When guys get open, he finds them and he hits them. He’s shown during the two games that it’s a nice situation to be in. He makes quick decisions. The ball comes out quick. The most important thing, our guys have a lot of confidence in Billy.”

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    He looked great.

3. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    This cat is going to be fun to watch.