1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

English gets rookie treatment

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Casey Pearce
    Posted Aug 1, 2009

Chargers first-round pick Larry English got to tote a teammate’s equipment off the field for him following the rookie linebacker’s first practice of training camp.

Chargers rookie linebacker Larry English[​IMG] had his hands full as he left the field following his first training camp practice Saturday afternoon.

“That was Shaun Phillips[​IMG]’ helmet,” English said as he smiled. “It’s fine. I know carrying a helmet comes with the territory so I’m not too worried about it.”

While Phillips gave English a small portion of grief after practice, English is grateful to have guys like him and Shawne Merriman[​IMG] around him. During breaks in practice, the 16th overall pick in this year’s draft was regularly seen with the team’s two starters getting instructions and replaying reps in their minds.

“They’ve been real good about giving me pointers here,” English said. “They’re really on me and I’m blessed to have a good group of guys to be around.”

English agreed to terms on his five-year contract Friday night and signed it Saturday morning. While he hated to miss time earlier this week when his fellow rookies and some veterans were on the field, English didn’t feel like he was behind Saturday
    “Physically, I’ve been working out pretty hard,” English said. “I had a playbook with me and I was going over my notes to keep up.”

Rather than nerves, English simply felt excitement as he took the field.

“I’ve been playing football for a lot of years and I was excited more than anything to get out there with the guys and get a chance to do what I love,” English said.

During Saturday’s practice, English worked mostly with the second-team defense. That pitted him against veteran left tackle L.J. Shelton[​IMG], who was impressed with what he saw from his newest teammate.

“It’s not like he’s rusty at all,” Shelton said. “He can really get off the ball. He’s a rookie so he’s got some work to do, but that talent shows up.”

http://www.chargers.com/news/articl...reatment/aa5787ff-d15c-43f4-9b1f-291b26e4dc11

2. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Kevin Acee

[​IMG]

English works

August 1, 2009, 6:52 p.m.

Working mostly with the second team but also getting some first-team reps to spell Shawne Merriman, Larry English practiced for the first time as an official NFL player.

"I felt the first practice was good," said English, who agreed to terms Friday. "It looks like the team has been preparing good, and Im happy to be a part of it now."

The 16th overall pick, English got to San Diego on Friday night and spent the morning taking care of details and getting settled.

He was here for all the offseason coaching sessions and had a playbook back home in Illinois. He certainly didn't look out of place yesterday.

Jamal Williams has participated in all four practices so far. He must be as healthy as he says he is.

Undrafted free agent receiver Charly Martin can catch. Maybe he unseats or joins Gary Banks on the practice squad.

Antonio Cromartie is a non-stop talker in practice. It's extremely entertaining. He was also involved in two of the most entertaining plays of practice. He swooped and made a fantastic PBU a few plays after committing a flagrant pass interference on Vincent Jackson -- on a play Eric Weddle seemed to have covered.

New defensive line coach Don Johnson spends a lot of time and is very demanding coaching players to get off the ball quickly at the snap. It's part of an increased emphasis on the linemen getting in the backfield.

3. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    First-round draft pick Larry English's work ethic and awareness have impressed Chargers LT Marcus McNeill. "He's a very experienced player to be so young," said the two-time Pro Bowler

After blocking Chargers rookie OLB Larry English in 11-on-11, LT Marcus McNeill is impressed. "He's probably one of the quicker defensive ends/linebackers coming off the ball on our team, and that's saying a lot."

4. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    :abq2:

5. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    :abq2::abq2:

Thats worth two dancing bolts.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    :abq2::abq2:

7. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    At the risk of repeating myself, the defensive end of this draft could prove to be as historic as the one that got us Johnson, Kelcher and Dean.

8. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    That was an amazing class.

We need two longshots to step up bigtime to reach that level.

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We have the makings. English looks like the goods. Vaughn Martin is showing well early in camp even starting from Canadian College football. He is extremely intelligent as well as strong and quick. If he plays much at all this season it will be highly indicative. The wild cards are Darry Beckwith and Ellison. Ellison plants people. Beckwith was rapped for his speed, but he can run a 4.6. Ellison is really fast, but it appears he knows where to be and when to be there.

10. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Can't wait to see this man-child on the field :tup: