1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

English secure with surroundings

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, May 18, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
    5-18-2010

Last year’s first-round draft pick feels more comfortable as OTAs begin

SAN DIEGO – Seventeen hundred miles is a long way.

That would be the distance between Aurora, Ill., and San Diego if an interstate connected the two cities.

Outside linebacker Larry English[​IMG] didn’t have to travel far from his hometown Chicago suburb to get to Northern Illinois. MapQuest lists his college town, DeKalb, Ill., as a 37-minute drive.

When the Chargers selected the 6-foot-2, 255 pound defensive threat with the 16th pick of the 2009 NFL Draft, the three-time first-team All-MAC player had a bit more distance to cover.

He started two games last season and played in all 17, but feels that a year of familiarity will help him resemble the player that terrorized college quarterbacks and became the Huskies’ all-time leader with 31.5 sacks and 63 tackles for loss.

“In comparison with this time last year, it’s a lot different. You’re coming in not knowing anything as a rookie and it’s tough getting adjusted,” English said. “I’m not quite a vet yet, but I do feel a lot better and more comfortable.”

English hasn’t set any specific goals for this season but said he remains focused on playing full speed and reaching a point where he doesn’t hesitate.

“I think when I get fully comfortable that’s when I’ll be able to make the most plays,” he said.

The linebacker got reps against Philip Rivers[​IMG] and the first-team offense during team drills Tuesday and had a few pieces of advice for this year’s rookie class.

“Keep your head up and stay the course, because it gets tough being a rookie,” English said. “Obviously things on the field are tough because it’s all new, but off the field also it’s rough because it’s not home for you yet. You don’t have an identity: friends, family, or anything like that. So it’s a lot rougher mentally, but you’ve just got to see the light at the end of the tunnel.”