1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

English the new Sanders

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Larry English has broken his foot again.

Time to reel in the line and try another water hole...

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Well, it's not like we're counting on a big contributions from our 1st rounders anyway. ;)

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Oh soo ouch... :roflmao:

4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Sanders was good, English well ah he ah well you see English well he ah is very good at collecting paychecks

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    To be honest, I wasn't aware of English playing in that game........ did he trip over the Gatorade cooler on the sideline? ;)

6. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Marques Harris is making a valiant effort to put his name in the mix to replace English (at least for the season). I kinda like this idea... maybe it's b/c I'm partial to the backflips and b/c I just generally like the guy? I dunno... but I'm totally on board with bringing him back. He played in SF w/Manusky too right? Hmm.... Thoughts? GO!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    He played. i wasnt aware either until they showed him walking to the locker room with a trainer...

8. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    My god, is this confirmed? If so wow, our pass rush has to be one of the worst in the league.... :(

Outside of Philips and occasionally Barnes, we got NOTHING!

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I don't know......... who will flip those burgers in his absence? ;)

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Wasn't that the case at the start of the season?

Some people expected us to address this glaring need in the draft...... silly people.

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Or it could open the door to pick up an angry young man with something to prove and the desire to hit opposing QBs...

12. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    Gamble get another shot?. As for English....... wot a disappoint. Sad... so sad. He is done now surely.

13. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Now I understand why his nickname was Larry "Laying the Balsa Wood" English.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Gamble seems like an obvious player to activate........ he may have a lot to learn, but we don't really have many options now.

15. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    english is a scrub i had hope coming into the yr but even in his 2 sack game they were more coverage sacks anyway... antawn barnes should be seeing the field more... his explosion off the line is dwight freeney like

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    In other news..........

Bills put Shawne Merriman on injured reserve
    Posted by Michael David Smith on October 25, 2011, 4:15 PM EDT

Shawne Merriman’s season is over.

The Buffalo Bills announced today that Merriman has been placed on injured reserve, ending his season after five games and one sack. Obviously, that’s not the kind of production the Bills were hoping for when they signed Merriman to a two-year, $10.5 million contract.

Merriman missed the Bills’ Week Six game against the Giants because of an inflamed Achilles tendon, and after it failed to get better over the last couple of weeks, the Bills decided to shut him down.

“Shawne has worked extremely hard, but unfortunately, his Achilles flared back up and it doesn’t appear that he will be able to return to the field anytime soon,” Bills G.M. Buddy Nix said. “So we felt it was in the best interest of our team and for Shawne to put him on I.R.”

Merriman started his career as one of the league’s best defensive players, with 39.5 sacks in his first three seasons. He has a grand total of five sacks in his last four seasons.

17. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Damn, this guy can't stay healthy and when he is has mostly looked mediocre at best. Time to give English a bust in the hall of shame!

18. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Chargers' English re-injures foot
    Written by
    Kevin Acee

Larry English seems to be going the way of Buster Davis.

English, a first-round pick in 2009, can't stay healthy, with his latest injury being a broken foot. His health problems may jeopardize his career with the Chargers. Davis, the team's 2007 first-round pick, was released this summer after four seasons of struggles with various injuries.

English is in his third season but has missed nine of the Chargers' past 20 games and played just 140 snaps in that span.

A fracture in his foot suffered in training camp a year ago bothered English through the 2010 season's first month before he had surgery. After being inactive for six games, English returned to play in November but was inactive two of the final three games.

He had another surgery on the foot in March and was limited throughout training camp and the preseason.

He was inactive in the season opener and played mostly on passing downs in the next four games before being hurt after playing two snaps Sunday at New York. Asked Monday when English suffered the injury, Chargers head coach Norv Turner said he was not certain but was told early in the game that English was unavailable.

English, selected 16th overall in 2009, has seven sacks in 30 career games. He had two sacks Oct. 2 against Miami.

It is not known whether the Chargers will make a roster move with English. If he is placed on injured reserve, he would be ineligible to play the rest of the season.

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The difference is, Sanders actually was a great NFL player who couldn't stay healthy, English never was even an average NFL player, let alone a great players

20. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
  21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Agreed.

The title should've been: "English, the new Buster"........ #imjustsaying

• Like Like x 2
  22. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    S. Davis FAIL (Gone)
    Rivers WIN (Really, this pick has saved AJ's carrer)
    Merriman FAIL (Gone)
    Castillo FAIL (Even when he's healthy he's not an impact player)
    Cromartie FAIL (Gone)
    B. Davis FAIL (Gone)
    Cason FAIL IN PROCESS
    English FAIL (TBD)
    Mathews WIN (So far so good)
    Liuget ??? (Pre-season be damned, he's struggling right now)

Out of 10 first round picks AJ Smith has made we can declare 5 undeniable failures, 2 players in the process of failing (Castillo/Cason), 1 struggling rookie who's up in the air, and only 2 GOOD DRAFT PICKS. To be fair players like Merriman, Cromartie and Castillo all looked like perennial pro bowlers at one point, but all 3 have fallen off the cliff. I've been an AJ supporter, but I'm done.

I don't even have to play revisionist history, I was very vocal on this board about my dislike of a lot of these guys on draft day.

23. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    There's really no point to this post because it's stupid speculation but imagine if the Chargers had drafted both Troy Polamalu and Clay Mathews (or Michael Oher)

24. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    and would they even had been in a posistion to draft Matthews if they would have drafted Polamalu? He would have made our defense better, which would have meant we won more games thus changing our drafting posistion.

25. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I would only note that Merriman, Castillo and Cromartie were very useful in their time here, no one can deny it. Yes they absolutely have not been long term players but in our recent playoff runs they were very important. For that I don't call them a total fail. I'd also note Cason is not a fail in process but he is very inconsistent. Great rookie and third year, bad second and as of now this year.

26. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Yea, it's just fun to think about but like I said there's no point to it.

27. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Without English, I guess it's time for someone else to step up. (No pun intended.)

28. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    AJ on the regular
    the whole "in AJ we trust" has come to an end for me.. consistently misses on 1st round picks but makes up for it with production from other rounds.. good teams cant consistently miss on their 1st round picks

29. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Is it AJ's fault if half those guys turn out to be injury prone? Were any of them considered injury prone when they were drafted?

30. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    It is AJ's fault Cromartie and Buster Davis were both injury prone .. Castillo was caught using performance enhancing drugs in college, Merriman was rumored to of been using performance enhancers during his time at Maryland (they were right), and AJ didnt even draft Rivers he drafted Eli.. if it wasnt for Eli's stuborness we woulda been stuck with Eli