1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

English won't be at camp's opening

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Chargers not worried top pick isn't signed

By Kevin Acee
    Union-Tribune Staff Writer
    2:00 a.m. July 27, 2009

The Chargers' three quarterbacks, veterans such as receiver Buster Davis, who is coming off injury, and most of the team's rookies, free agents and draft picks alike – about 45 players in all – will be on the practice fields at Chargers Park on Monday morning.

Safety Kevin Ellison, the sixth-round pick who is as yet unsigned, could be working out when training camp convenes at 10:30, as the sides appear close to an agreement.

Barring a miracle, however, first-round pick Larry English will not be present.

Negotiations with the 16th overall pick are hardly off the ground.

General Manager A.J. Smith, as he does every year about this time, said he is unconcerned because “everything is in motion. They'll be here when they are here.”

Rare has been the Chargers' first-rounder who signs a contract by the time his fellow rookies are sweating in their first camp exercise. That explains to some extent why there is no consternation, but Smith is also not known for his reticence.

“Everyone knows how it's going to end,” Smith said. “Whether they choose to believe that or not, I don't know.”

As of last night, English was among 28 (of 32) unsigned first-round picks across the league, and no picks within 10 spots in front of English or five spots behind him have signed. That doesn't give the Chargers and English's agent, Todd France, much to go on in terms of comparing contracts' finer points, which is really what the sides' differences hinge upon.

“I don't mind (the delay) if it's all the way around (the league),” Smith said. “We'll have patience. We like to study numbers too.”

While there are always a number of rookie holdouts, and 24 teams don't have rookies reporting until later this week, there is a widely held belief the abnormally large number of unsigned first-rounders this year is due in large part to the fact the same agency represents nine of the first 19 picks.

The powerful Creative Artists Agency is negotiating for the four picks who immediately preceded English and two of the three who followed him. In the domino world of NFL first-round signings, everyone is taking a wait-and-see posture.

Smith doesn't see this leaguewide stalemate lasting too long. But if it drags on, the Chargers could revisit their stance.

“If nobody moves and we're deep into camp, getting into preseason,” Smith said, “we'll figure out where we want to go.”

The Chargers haven't had a rookie hold out beyond veterans reporting since 2004.

While Smith remains firm in his belief that the team sets the tone of contract talks, it is also true the coaching staff would like to have English in the fold by Friday, when veterans join rookies and training camp begins in earnest.

English, an outside linebacker, is expected to play a large role this year and add much-needed pressure on the quarterback.

Regardless of when Ellison and English sign, the Chargers will likely be left with one unsigned draft pick for a while.

Seventh-round pick Demetrius Byrd, whom the team selected despite his having been in an auto accident the week before the draft, almost certainly will not be signed soon as the team assesses his recovery.
    “We're going to monitor the situation,” Smith said.

While the rookies are scheduled to practice four days before the veterans show, Turner canceled the Thursday workout last season, and it should not be a surprise if that happens again.

Those who participate before Friday will be experiencing a little déjà vu. And then do it all over again.

Today through Wednesday or Thursday, they'll be doing pretty much exactly what they did the final four days of the offseason coaching sessions. When the full squad is present Friday, they'll start the process over.

With rookies needing to learn and coaches having been off for a month, the next three or four days are a refresher and allows everyone to get up to speed.

“I think it helps them,” head coach Norv Turner said in reference to the rookies. “These are talented young guys. The thing that is going to hold them back is if they don't know exactly what to do – I've always brought quarterbacks in early. It gets their minds going.”

2. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    God, I know that AJ says this every single year. But, his attitude every single year just rubs me the wrong way. Why can't he just avoid saying anything at all?

3. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    As of last night, English was among 28 (of 32) unsigned first-round picks across the league, and no picks within 10 spots in front of English or five spots behind him have signed. That doesn't give the Chargers and English's agent, Todd France, much to go on in terms of comparing contracts' finer points, which is really what the sides' differences hinge upon.

Well there you go. This is why there needs to be a Rookie pay scale in place.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Ellison should be signed by now :icon_shrug:

5. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I've read that Crabtree (10th pick) wants top 3 money, saying something like he's better than where he was picked. IMO that might be the hold up, because if the Niners fold then the following picks will want to get more as well.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    That sounds like prima donna BS to me. Did SF draft a diva at WR? :icon_shrug:

7. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    He has been at Deion Sanders summer camp. :yes:

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Oh no!!!!! :icon_eek:

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Well then - we all saw that happened to Cro when that dipshiit got in his ear.

As for English - I'm hoping that he comes in with the vets. :tup:

10. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    There was talk about him being a diva and really it seems like SF has no problem picking problem child receivers.

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'll bet that crap won't fly with Singletary at the helm. :icon_twisted:

12. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    at least he is not talking about how many INT's he is going to get this season

13. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072

I like Singletary as a head coach. Doesnt take guff off of anyone.

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Me, too. I wanted him when we got Norv. :yes:

15. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    True. He is declaring himself the second best corner in the league instead.

16. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    Because Johnny Lightning posted this, I keep reading "Johnny English". :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    English, Ellison absent as Chargers start camp

Casey Pearce
    Posted 51 minutes ago

First-round pick Larry English and sixth-round choice Kevin Ellison had yet to sign their rookie contracts when the Chargers’ rookies and a handful of veterans hit the field Monday morning for the team’s first practice.

The team was hopeful both players would report soon. As of Monday afternoon, only four first-round draft choices league-wide had signed. That list includes Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford (1st overall), Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez (5th), Browns center Alex Mack (20th) and Steelers defensive end Ziggy Hood (32nd).

No one selected around English, the 16th overall pick, has signed.

“I think that’s going to take its normal course and get done,” Turner said.

Turner didn’t appear as understanding of Ellison’s situation.

“I’m disappointed that Kevin is not here,” Turner said. “He’s a sixth-round pick. I just hope it doesn’t keep him from making the football team. Every day he’s not here it’s going to hurt him.”

A head start

A handful of veterans joined five Chargers draft picks and each of the team’s undrafted rookie free agents Monday for an early start on training camp. Quarterbacks Philip Rivers, Billy Volek and Charlie Whitehurst were on the field along with center Scott Mruczkowski, tackle L.J. Shelton, linebackers Shawne Merriman[​IMG] and Brandon Siler and wide receiver Buster Davis.

“I always like coming back these three or four days early,” Rivers said. “You just feel like getting to call plays in and out of the huddle, getting going with some of the routes and stuff. I’ve always liked coming back early. You feel like you’re already in the swing of things ready to get everybody else going when they get here Friday.”

Heavy load

Only two running backs – Gartrell Johnson and Kestahn Moore – reported early to camp, meaning that Johnson saw plenty of action in Monday’s practice. The team’s fourth-round pick welcomed the abundance of carries.

“They can’t wear me out,” Johnson said with a smile. “It’s a great opportunity to get out there and continue to grow.”

Johnson could get used to doing some heavy lifting. Starter

LaDainian Tomlinson is unlikely to see much if any playing time in the preseason and Turner suggested earlier this offseason that backup Darren Sproles may not get many carries either in the preseason. That means Johnson may have many chances to continue to impress his coaches.

“I’m excited about Johnson,” Turner said. “He’s got some good instincts. That’s why we drafted him. We haven’t been in pads yet. No one has tried to tackle him yet and he hasn’t tried to avoid a tackle yet. We have a lot to evaluate with a lot of our players.”

Quick Hits

- The rookies and select veterans will practice Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday before the rest of the team joins them on the field on Friday.

- Longtime USC and Los Angeles Rams head coach John Robinson is working as a consultant with the Chargers. Robinson was an assistant at Oregon when Turner played for the Ducks, and Turner coached under Robinson at USC and with the Rams.

- The Chargers practice jerseys feature the team’s 50th Anniversary logo on the front right shoulder.

- Tight end James “Tripp” Chandler, an undrafted rookie free agent from Georgia,

http://www.chargers.com/news/articl...art-camp/80018392-b070-4679-99c6-41e370242ea7

18. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    they do always seem to have one lately:lol:

19. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703

:lol:

20. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    As far as getting Enlish signed. Couldn't they just look at the contracts for rookies last year. And add a little bit for inflation.

I'm not too worried about Larry. I have a feeling he will be up to speed when he does get in.

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The team could - but agents don't play that way.

22. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072

Foober, this is one of the main reasons that the owners will have a lockout in 2011. Plus why do they always wait until training camp starts to begin player negotiations?

23. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Because neither the team NOR the agent wants to reach an agreement with a player in, say, May, only to discover in late July that the deal wasn't at all comparable to those obtained by other players drafted around the same spot.

In other words... nobody wants to look like they got schooled. It's all about protecting egos.

24. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Fixed that for ya.

25. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680

That's exactly what the NFL needs, a rookie salary scale like what the NBA has:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9301

Owners want it, and I'm sure the players will want it too, because it would mean more cap money available to pay veterans.

26. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Don't be so sure, remember that the agents control the players, and the agents want those huge rookie deals, and big fat comissions