1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Enough LT Bashing! Time for Draft Talk!

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RM24, Jan 24, 2008.

1. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    RB Jonathan Stewart from Oregon would be a great pickup for us in the 1st if he is still available. Heard about this guy from Coach and Totino on 1090 yesterday. He would be great replacement for Turner and would look great in Bolts. Can return kickoffs too.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nwSKFOfc04Q&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nwSKFOfc04Q&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

ESPN Story on Stewart:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3192301

2. WeStrikeSunday

WeStrikeSunday BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    That would be a nice pickup, are running game does seem to need a little push, and now that Turner going to be gone we really are going to need it. I just wonder about D with the front line, Well i guess Jamal is just hurt and thats why we haven't been our best.

3. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I don't think Stewart would make it to the 27th pick in the 1st anyway. Dude is just too good. Then again, I never thought Merriman would make it to 12....

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    I don't want to draft a backup in the first round! Either a nickel corner or a backup RB

5. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I want offensive line or defensive line.

6. LT Punked Out!

LT Punked Out! Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    Enough LT bashing? Why? Its hilarious!! BTW check out this limited edition "action figure" featuring the great LT, appropriately he is sitting on the bench.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=26651563

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, now we need need to make a new figure which features his trademark parka and Darth Vader helmet!!!

7. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
  8. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Talking Nose Tackle...

I like Frank Okam out of Texas as our first pick. Dude's 6' 5", 320. A monster. He's productive like AJ likes and has the stature befitting an NFL nose.

Dre Moore out of MD (6-4,298) is also interesting to me. A tad small, but he's got a big-time motor and is a workout warrior according to scouting reports.

If AJ goes DB in the first, Frank Morton (Tulane, 6-3, 327, 5.25.) might be worth a look.

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Trenches.

Anyone not talking about the trenches is wasting their time.

LT (the best RB in the universe) is dying on the vine waiting for a line that is worth a fuc.

Trenches.

We have Tyronne Gross and the other kid, I forget his name but both rock. Both jitter bugs.

RB's are a dime a dozen.

Trenches.

Fat athletic men blowing snot bubbles out of the enemy.

Trenches.

10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I was going to retire rich by selling "Did LT puss out?" T-shirts to Raiders fans but somehow that was not well received here as capitalistic brilliance. :lol:

11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    Germaine Race....

I am in agreement. We'd be mad to go RB with our 1st round pick. If there is an able DT there (which I doubt) then we go there else maybe safety.

I had heard Okam was a bit of an underachiever, loads of ability/size etc but a bit of a prima donna. Kinda makes me think of one Marcellus Wiley. Mind u not sure if ever had much ability.

With so few picks this year it will be a quiet draft for SD.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    I could forsee us trading a player or two for draft picks (Shane Olivea for one).
    Nice to see someone agree that we should go backup with our draft pick.
    My issue with Okam is two fold: 1) With his ability he should've been dominant but he has a tendency to disappear 2) Lately Texas DTs have not been that great. They all, it seems, fit the mold of Okam (see Rogers, Wright): wildly talented but lazy and unwilling to commit themselves. He's a very late first rounder right now but Bryant and Sims are motoring up the draft boards and they could challenge Okam real soon

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Okam's stock seems to be dropping due to the things already mentioned here re: underachieving, taking plays off. I SURE as hell don't see any need to go RB in the 1st. Draft is deep with RB's this year. IF we need one (and I personally don't think that we do), a good backup can come later.

What we do need are big, athletic, nasty guys on both lines. Trading a few players (Olivea, Floyd, McCree, maybe Osgood, possibly Dobbins) for some middle round picks would also be nice.

I think that AJ needs to look at DB again early, especially a safety to go with Weddle. I like Brandon Flowers from VT, but he's been a CB all of his career.

14. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I actually got an e:mail from Scott Wright - Balmer's his flavor of the month... I'd told him we'd be picking Sims instead... :lol:

btw, Balmer was injured at the Sr. Bowl practice... he's more DE than NT...

15. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192

Yea, he'd definitely be a DE in our scheme. I'm not really a big fan of any of the NT's in this years draft, but we've got to find one at some point. NT is one of the hardest positions to find. I think that we need to draft somebody, but also give Mckinney more of a shot next year as well. He has the size, height, and he has worked a lot with Jamal. It's just really hard to find a 3-4 NT.

16. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    exactly, a nose tackle has to do three things...he has to have a KILLER first step, use good leverage, and push the pocket back...sometimes these taller guys aren't good at getting under the oppositions pads and using that leverage.

Many times this year it seemed as though our running game went nowhere, perhaps a right side O-lineman might be something to look at. You get that running game cranked up EVERY game, and that keeps our D off the field longer, and keeps Jamal and the boys fresher, perhaps keeping him from those lower body injuries.
    Perhaps Waters is now over the knee, and ready to show what he can do as an ILB run stuffer.
    Give us one more healthy year from Jamal, and a stronger run stuffing ILB next to Cooper, and this D is as good as it gets...we just need to get the running game to a more dominating force.

17. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Leodis McKelvin and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie are both getting hot right now and with the possibility of Florence moving on we have big need at the nickle ,dime CB.

Remember that we played nickle over 80% of the time vs Indy and most of the time vs the Pats.

Cromatie is a cousin to our Pro bowler.

I don't see a DL that is worthy right now however their are some RB and LB along with one very good RT Gosder Cherilus. Rashard Mendenhall , Jamaal Charles , Jonathan Stewart and Felix Jones are all real good looking RB and we all no how Smith loves a top quality RB as a insurance policy.

He did pass on a 1st round pick just to have Turner for 1 season. Of course we sure were happy to have him vs the Colts and the Pats.

18. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +498
    That's a big *** defensive back :icon_eek: and a tad slow :icon_shrug:

P.S. I'd go NT in the first round if the talent is acceptable.

P.P.S. I heard that Oliver is beeing looked at as a safety, any thoughts?

19. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/01/23/mock.draft1.part1/index.html?eref=T1

27 ILB Dan Connor Penn State Sr. 6-3 228
    There aren't many glaring holes to fill in San Diego, but the Chargers could use an upgrade for Matt Wilhelm at inside linebacker. Connor shifted inside this season for the Nittany Lions, where he took over for Paul Posluszny, who went in last year's second round to Buffalo. Connor plays tough and finds the ball.

with OLB Keith Rivers on the board.... ummm...

20. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    Nicks and Williams got good pub, as well.... could a RT be in the cards...

21. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219

You know what I mean :icon_tease:

I meant that if AJ was going to take a DB early on, Morton might be there in a later round if we were looking at a NT.

22. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Connor , Rivers is in the hunt along with Ali Highsmith and get this Xavier Adibi. This class has some talent at LB however that group is pretty loaded now so one of the youngsters will have to blow away the DB, RB group and be of much better value in Smiths mind.

I can't help but think of Antonio Cromartie in the 2006 draft when the team had a huge hole at LOT after Oben blew his foot off and Smith took Cromartie and then got McNeil round 2.

Smith will take the B.A. if he stands out above a need and now everyone is happy becuase Cromartie is a pro bowl player and McNeil is pretty darn good too.

Remember the Cro sat the pine to begin with. ( that was for Ant)

23. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Right now I am a big time Cherilus fan. :lol:

24. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I'd be disappointed drafting a LB early, well,, maybe not Groves... but a RT - that would be good,... we'll certainly have a shot at one...

25. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192

Yes:yes: I'm hoping that we'll have a shot at an offensive guard early as well. If AJ gets a RT, or RG with our first pick, I would definitely be happy, especially when you consider his track record at picking offensive lineman.

26. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Also consider Michael Oher from Ole miss

27. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Here's some trenches for you Trumpy: :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    :lol: - That is where the war is won or lost.

I love them boys but FATTER :lol:

29. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Thought I would ask this question here to get some opinions don't be bashful.

Why is it OK to not trade a RB with just one year on his contract for a 1st round pick so he can back up 7 yr vet LT yet it is silly to draft a RB to back up and perhaps replace LT over the next 5 yrs?

With LT heading into his 8 season and coming off a injury.