1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Enough LT Bashing! Time for Draft Talk!

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RM24, Jan 24, 2008.

1. pulherst

pulherst BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    A little push? What more do you want???

2. WeStrikeSunday

WeStrikeSunday BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Have you watched the games this year. The running game has not been working this year. Maybe thats because LT hasn't been the best or that Norv didn't know how to use Turner to his best abilities. The running game has not been working this year. So maybe this new RB coach will give them that push.

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,617
    Draft time is the one time of the year when I completely agree with Tony on all things personel wise: Reinforcements in the trenches should ALWAYS be priority #1.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    WTF??? LT won the rushing title - AGAIN. What more do you expect out of the running game? :icon_shrug:

The OL still needs work to get our INSIDE running game working better. Bigger, faster, stronger. And no Olivea.

5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +442
    A buddy of mine who has little or no clue about football but is a great reader is reading a book that talks alot about this guy. The book is all about the importance of the LT in football. He says it is a great read which is amazing coming from a guy who doesn't follow football. He was telling me all about Oher and how he grew up in MN apparently and all that. When I looked into him I saw he was projected as a 2nd rounder. When he was a kid/in high school he was looking like the next Anthony Munoz/Walter Jones.

6. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I didn't like its "tone"... he's a first day pick, but there's a bunch of em in that group... someone will fall...

7. WeStrikeSunday

WeStrikeSunday BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Im thinking about this year, and a nice pickup would be an big Offensive lineman, we need more time in the pocket for Rivers.

8. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    Mobile is getting the press, so it can be hard to keep it in perspective... too bad the juniors aren't there...

just for kicks, here's my "pre-combine" value chart for DT's, as it is today... you're welcome to share yours... :yes:

rd 1
    S.Ellis, 6-1 305 4.96, USC - just toooo quick to contain in a 4-3...
    G.Dorsey, 6-2 316 5.06, LSU - no doubt a stud, but the injury bug is somewhat a concern....
    Pat Sims, 6-3 315 5.00, Auburn - my flavor of the month, part NT part DE... is young and has great upside...
    K.Balmer, 6-5 300 5.12, N.Carolina - more DE than DT...

rd 2
    R.Bryant, 6-5 328 5.16, Texas A&M - has shown he can hold his ground and can be nasty... now, if he can keep his pads/center down... a good d-line coach will make him better, but he ain't gonna get many sacks...
    D.Moore, 6-4 305 5.04, Maryland - I watched Moore a number times and I think he'd fit in... I guess I'm still undecided,...
    M.Harrison, 6-3 315 5.10, Arkansas - have seen him, and he can be a rock at the point of attack - I no doubt have him higher than most... edit: his Sr.Bowl practice has been weak, and a pending "chronic" problem will drop him...

rd 3 - not real happy with rd 3 yet...
    D.Pressley, 6-3 298 5.16, NC State - another DE tweener
    M.Murray, 6-4 310 4.98, N.M. St - a sleeper but will need seasoning... could be the diamond in the rough...
    N.Hayden, 6-4 305 5.13, Wisconsin - the games I saw this guy, he was relentless... but he had some not so good games, as well...

I'm always tweeking my value chart, and the DT area is "fluid" as it will depend on which team is picking (4-3 vs 3-4)...

for what its worth, I have Okam at the top of 5... :icon_eek:

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    Ron
    What about Okam's inconsistencies and lately Texas NT/DTs have been very poor?

I do like Sims ALOT and think he'll start moving up 'other people's draft boards as well, but he has great penetration ability for a NT.

Would Bryant be a good pick, as of now, at #27?

10. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    Okam had a very good sophomore year and that's been it... most have him 4th rd, I have him 5th...

The boards I watch have Sims either 3 or 4 behind Ellis & Dorsey - he's no longer a secret...

I'd prefer one of the OT's, specifically Williams, to Bryant... need to keep Rivers jersey clean... unfortunately, now I'm seeing Williams stock soar...:icon_sad:

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    I think Okam's going to take the same route that Rodrique Wright did a few years ago - first rounder who started tumbling down when people saw him in action on his own.

Since your so into OTs, what do you think about Michael Oher? I don't really know what to make of him and I'd really like to get into his head a bit but that's isn't a possibility. And I'd actually like an NT like Sims or Bryant to another OT because I think Clary has earned the right to be the RT with a solid performance. NT is becoming an increasingly important area as I think Jamal has started to slow down

12. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I think he should have a fine year as a senior... :yes: