1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Eric Parker: Remebering a Forgotten Charger

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

The Bleacher Report
    By Morgan Kimbarow

I personally will always remember Eric Parker.

When I was 9 years old (2002), my Mom always use to take me and some of my friends to the restaurant Seau's (owned by Junior Seau) where they held the Chargers Power report every Monday night after the game.

The show was an hour long and they usually had one or two players come on to talk about the game and what not.

On this particular night Eric Parker was to be a guest on the show.

Eric Parker was one of those scrub players on the team he was a rookie and had barely made the team. His main contributions was being a special team player.

My experience with Eric Parker is one that I will always remember.

When I was in the bathroom at Seau's they had laid out candy and special towels for the players. I was only 9 then and I had trouble the reaching the paper towels.

Mr.Parker saw me struggle and handed me one of towels that were for the players only and gave me some of the candy.

Later on he signed his autograph for me but he didn't just put his autograph on it he put words of wisdom on it. On the paper he wrote "The sky is the limit"

That next week Eric had his best game yet as a pro when he had seven catches for 96 yards in a loss against the Raiders.

Coming out of Tennessee college, Parker was labeled as injury-prone and because of this he was passed over in the draft.

He was originally signed by the Houston Texans as an undrafted free agent, but was released by in July.

Reality had struck Eric Parker that he probably was not going to play in the NFL. He was about to take a maintenance job with the Texans until the Chargers called.

Parker joined the Chargers. His incredible work ethic allowed him to make the team and earn him a niche on third downs, where he earned the nickname "The Bondsman" for consistently bailing out the offense

However for his first two years with the Chargers he was sparingly used.

An injury to Reche Caldwell in 2004 gave way for Eric Parker to start. He did not disappoint.

He seized the opportunity and did not look back.
    From 2004-2006 had 152 catches,2,074 yards, and seven Touchdowns.

2006 the Chargers went 14-2 and were picked by many to win the Superbowl. Eric had another solid season with 48 receptions, 659 yards. However 2006 would be Eric's last season in the NFL.

Parker will be probably be more rememberd in San Diego on a sour note.

His final game was against the New England Patriots in the Divisional Round of the 2006 playoffs. Parker dropped two key passes and muffed a punt in a game the Chargers would go on to lose by three points.

It would be his last game in the NFL.
    In 2007, Eric Parker injured his toe during training camp. His toe injury caused him to miss the entire 2007 season.

With the emergence of Vincent Jackson as a reliable receiver Eric Parker became expendable.

on July 23, 2008 the Chargers released Eric Parker.

After his released he offered these statements “My time spent in San Diego, it's been a good time,” “Everyone has been good to me. It was a great run for me.”

What a classy guy.

But we have not seen the last of Eric Parker on March 30th 2009 he joined the coaching staff of the San Diego Chargers as a wide receivers and conditioning assistant.

So I would like to thank you, Mr. Parker.

It was fun watching you play you had a great playing career with the Chargers.

I will never forget that time at Seau's when you signed your autograph for me.

You may have been forgotten by many but I want you to know that there are still people that appreciate your career and know that you were a good person off of it too.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    MD/p88f just jizzed in his pants.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Ok dude was nine when EP was on the team....

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    That gatdamn fumbled punt.

His legacy.

FU EP eat ****

5. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    There were times, we didn't have such a wideout presentation as today. With Flutie, Brees and then Rivers
    came the return to real west coast offense.

Eric Parker helped us that way. He will not be forgotten.
    I wish him well as a Charger's coach.

6. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    He already has been

**** that game throwing sissy!

7. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Pretty good write-up, for a seventeen year old.

Special towels? WTF? and SPECIAL candy???

OHHHH!!! NOW I GET IT!!!

SPECIAL candy

:blink:

:icon_eyes:

• Like Like x 1
  8. jerry62

jerry62 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Parker always played hard

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Failed hard too

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Couldnt that be said about anyone from time to time.

If you take a career and look at single plays, you could gather a plethora of bad plays to make Rivers look terrible, LT look like a baby, Merriman to look like a bust.

However, i would suggest if you look at the entirity of Parkers time in bolts, the good will far outweigh the bead, as it would with the aforementioned players...

Jes Sayin...

11. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Throwing playoff games outweighs any good he supposedly did

12. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    How can you say that about Parker and not about Kaeding?

13. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Once again... stopped reading at Bleacher Report.

Is there a bigger waste of time than that piece of crap site?

(other than this one, that is :tounge:)

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Profootballtalk.com?:icon_shrug:

15. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,806
    I don't remember him throwing the game... just making his share of the many mistakes the entire team made that day.

Always liked Parker, and I'm glad to see he's doing well and now getting his foot in the door as an NFL coach. If anyone can teach others about dedication and hard-work it would be Eric.